iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Culture » When is it time to hang it up and call it quits? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: When is it time to hang it up and call it quits?
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinking about something else about this show tonight.

See, there's a formula they got going on this show now too, and it is real easy to figure it out. They have to have a person who is a complete and total mess...Jeff Conway is this time around, but Willie Ames and Gary Busey have been there and done that already too, and I didn't even see the episodes, I just saw them flipping out in the previews.

Now, here's the thing...if they didn't throw the drama in there...would people be watching it as much as they do now...the whole loosing weight thing is being over shadowed by the drama. Now, I do think that some of the celebrities are there to actually loose weight...and I feel bad for them because I think they are all a part of a conspiracy that the show is doing to get viewers.

You could tell that Chastity and Kelly were serious about loosing weight, and so was Young MC...they seem like that was what was motivating them....and they seemed irked at Jeff for not putting the effort in to doing his part for the team, and they should be irritated.

But, I think some people are going to be tuning in to see Jeff Conway possibly over dose...that is a horrible thing, but it is true, cause they keep showing him in the preview, like stay tuned to the next episodes...as if it is a soap...when in fact it isn't....it is a real person going through a real life ordeal, and they are being exploited and I don't even think they even care because they are so goofed up in the head...they don't know what to do with themselves.

I saw that with Jeff Conway...he got all mad, then he calmed down, and he looked like he was going to burst in to tears, because he's old, his out of shape, he has health issues, he is working for jobs that don't pay him anything really, and that has to suck. He's in pain for herniated discs in his neck and back, and he is just one messed up person, and they might get him the needed help along the way, but not without first exploiting his problem for the benefit that it brings them from getting exposure for their show, and that's sad.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Spooka Lupa   Author's Homepage   Email Spooka Lupa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think the exercise is overshadowed by the drama so much as they advertise the drama to get viewers in. But to watch the show you have to be looking for some value in it other than the drama or you're in for disappointment.

Just because they're stars and they're out of shape and have problems doesn't mean there's a whole conspiracy out there to exploit them. I sincerely believe that not everything is about exploit and greed and desperation, even in Hollywood. My mother has theories about conspiracies all the time, and sometimes I tell her, "You know, Mom, not everything is out to get you." For example: "I hate that all clothing is layered nowadays. They make them like that on purpose so you have to spend more money on different pieces of layering." Maybe I'm naive, I just can't see where all the secrets and conspiracies and schemes are that people seem to see nowadays.

Posts: 1830 | From: Land Under the Bed | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eightieschick
Rewind Guru
Member # 4385

- posted      Profile for eightieschick   Email eightieschick       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spooka, I've got a mother and a brother-in-law who are always talking about conspiricies. I know my mother is nuts, and I'm beginning to think so of my BIL. He's always coming up with something that is a conspiricy- it could be anything from the price of lettuce to why we receive junk mail. AAAAAAAAAArgh!
Posts: 713 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't believe in it being a conspiracy.

But, you can see the connection to every episode.

I have a friend...I talked to him all afternoon, he is a celebrity photographer...he's meet probably over 50% of these people that we are talking about in these reality shows...and he said he guarantees that what they did on that show the other night with Jeff Conway was completely scripted....that was not in any way off the cuff...when you look at the end credits on any reality show and it lists the many writers who write what just happened...those people on there are or were actors at one time, you don't think that they don't know what is going on, but they do.

I feel sorry like I said ...because I know they really are there to loose the weight, but they have to play the "game" to do it, and I'm not talking about racing a boat.

It is all about drama and kaos...look at Danny Bonaduce...some of that is real, I honestly believe...he's a mess, but some of it he has to be putting on, cause he is bringing in money by his behavior...that's what is getting him ratings...that's what people are talking about...they talk about what a mess he is, it makes their life look not so bad...and I believe that's what people get out of reality tv...they get to look at someone else in turmoil...and think..gosh...at least I am not that bad off.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I watched the first and second episode...and the thing that I said about Jeff Conway being a mess...they showed them doing take after take of just trying to get them all to walk through the door to sit in their chairs, and Jeff kept stumbling in and falling, or screwing up. So, that did say and show how staged the whole thing is.

But, I did think it is great that maybe these people will get motivated to have better diets...because some of them already had diabetes and hypertension. And they weren't very old either. It is shocking to me how many people are over 300 lbs.

I don't think Kelly looks bad at all, if she looses her weight she'll look really thin. I think some people look a little better with a little bit of weight on them...than if they were bone skinny. Some of today's women that are starving themselves look terrible. What is sad is that weight seems to be an issue one way or another for just about everyone out there. So, it is a common bond everyone can relate to.

JCU
Master Rewinder
Member # 2851

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for JCU   Email JCU   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of "celebs" who have no idea that it is time to hang it up, look at the Rolling Stones. The band looks as if they have been dead for decades and then dug up. They must have more than enough money to live on after being around since the Civil War (or so it seems). Leave with dignity!
Posts: 115 | From: Northeastern PA | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I missed FIT CLUB on Sunday. Will have to try to watch a rerun of it some time this week.
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Spooka Lupa   Author's Homepage   Email Spooka Lupa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[spoilers ahead]

Jeff Conoway overdosed. He was released from the hospital, but admitted to rehab shortly after and won't be returning to the show. They've replaced him with one of the Nelson twins, who seems nice but he isn't fat so . . . what's the point?

Posts: 1830 | From: Land Under the Bed | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's on tonight (Wednesday) 10 pm in New York (might play other times in other states). I just put up a post it note to remind me.
This is why I hardly ever watch any "new" shows. I can never remember when They're on!

Did Jeff go to a place to "get help"?

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
Whooooooooops...just read it again and you said he went to rehab. so , yes, he's getting help.

I think a big problem was he was SO in denial. "I'm not on drugs!!!!!" he would scream (in a way only someone totally messed up on drugs would).

Earth Angel
Angel of the Rewind
Member # 3301

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earth Angel   Email Earth Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well...in this years 'celebrity' big brother, we have the OMG factor of Pete Burns, the former lead singer of dead or alive..you know...'you spin me right round baby right round like a record baby, right round round round'...yes you're with me now right??....WELL!!! take the time to go and have a look at what he looks like now...I guarantee you WONT be disappointed.
Posts: 981 | From: If they dont kiss, they dont fall in love | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Well...that is sad about Jeff Conway...I knew it was going to go down that road. One of these days someone is going to die on camera because of all this craziness.

It is sad on so many levels...Sad because these people had money and fame and were living a lifestyle that so many people are envious of, and they can't cope with it, and they turn to drugs and alcohol, and throw their life away.

Growing older takes a toll on people, and trying to keep up with what is "hip" today...is just ridiculous. I watched a little bit of the Golden Globes...and all those women who are on Desperate Housewives...none of them look like anyone I would want to spend 5 minutes with getting to know, they all look so fake and phoney.

I saw Paris Hilton on E! at an after show party...and she just thinks she is so cool, and if anyone else acted like her...you'd want no part of them, so how she gets away with it..I have no clue.

eightieschick
Rewind Guru
Member # 4385

- posted      Profile for eightieschick   Email eightieschick       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Earth Angel:
well...in this years 'celebrity' big brother, we have the OMG factor of Pete Burns, the former lead singer of dead or alive..you know...'you spin me right round baby right round like a record baby, right round round round'...yes you're with me now right??....WELL!!! take the time to go and have a look at what he looks like now...I guarantee you WONT be disappointed.

I guess he is a she now? That picture that I saw was quite frightening!
Posts: 713 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earth Angel
Angel of the Rewind
Member # 3301

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earth Angel   Email Earth Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know....apparently his lips aren't made of collagen, but of circumcised babies foreskins...TRUE...and....GROSSE!!!

He claims that he doesnt want to be a woman he just needed to look like that

Posts: 981 | From: If they dont kiss, they dont fall in love | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home