iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Culture » Dallas or Dynasty?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dallas or Dynasty?
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on a total Dynasty kick lately. I only have 3 more episodes and I'll have completed the first season. The first time around for this show, I was just too young. I remember seeing it on in later seasons and thinking it was fabulous but I didn't get it. I have to say it really draws you in. I was hoping Season 2 was out but it's not and there's no release date for it anytime soon [Frown] . What am I going to do?? Perhaps I'll switch to Dallas to hold me over. That being said, which show did you guys like better, Dallas or Dynasty?
Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved Dallas! I loved it so much! I have the first Season of it...we can swap...cause I have never seen Dynasty ever. So, I don't know if I would like it better...but I doubt it....because I love the characters in Dallas. I loved Bobby Ewing...to me he was also a perfect guy ...one any woman would want to marry. He was so good looking, and he was so nice...and just totally sexy...and could kick butt...but still be very gentle...and Pam Ewing was gorgeous. They were so perfect together. They were like the couple that you'd want to be just like. I loved how they dressed. It was funny seeing them all live under the same roof though as adults. My own grandparents had a house that we all called "The Ranch"...and our family that I grew up with was like out of a 80's nighttime soap...there was always drama....my Uncle is an attorney, and my Aunt was a totally hippie chick that was a vegetarian and animal rights activist...so it was like drama all the time. So...I totally relate to those family soaps like that, and loved that whole lifestyle. My grandparents reminded me of the Ewings...they were very classy...and they had a indoor swimming pool, they had mopeds we rode around on, it was decorated with all antiques...and I'd take my friends all out there and we'd pretend we were living the high life...and it was so cool. I miss that house...my Uncle lives there now...and he completely changed it. But...it had such cool memories for me.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dynasty for me! I love watching the re-runs because I remember watching them with my mom and gramma back in the 80s. I loved ut until they brought the whole alien thing into it. Anyway I miss all those crazy over-the-top 80s dramas. They were way better than the crap thats on today. I'd take one of those shows over crappy reality tv anyday!
Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Isis, perhaps we will have to swap. I almost bought Dallas today... And just one question Pumpkinhead, did everyone watch Dynasty with their Mom's and Grandma's?? Man, I can remember sitting on my Grandma's blue velvet couch (haha) and Dynasty would be on while I was playing with my Barbies. The good old days!
Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Member # 679

Member Rated:
Oh yeah, just to comment on the characters a bit. I don't particularly care for Blake. He's really not that nice to Krystal. Fallon looks great. I love her hair and clothes. She's certainly a wild child. I don't know why she hates Jeff so much. He was what you would call a hunk, for sure. Stephen is great. I feel bad for him. I think the writers were really pushing the envelope at the time with his character. I think Claudia is interesting and I like her relationship with Stephen. You never know what she's going to do next. Matthew is pretty cool in a rugged kinda way. And Krystal, man she got more than she bargained for when she married into the Carrington family. Wow, can you tell I'm hooked? [Big Grin]
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was too young to be allowed to watch either show when they were first on. From the glimpses I've seen though, I'd have to say Dynasty. It just seems more over the top, like Melrose Place.

I do remember watching the wedding massacre episode, and thinking how outrageously awesome it was.

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aah, yes, the Moldavian Massacre...The massacre where only *2 PEOPLE* bought the farm.

I haven't seen enough of either series to judge their merits, but I will say that the women looked good on both of them.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cindy asked:
quote:
That being said, which show did you guys like better, "Dallas" or "Dynasty"?
For me, neither. It's all about "Falconcrest"!

[Smile]

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about Knots Landing?
Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Member # 679

Member Rated:
Wow, Falconcrest and Knots Landing! What great names [Smile] ! They don't make tv shows like this anymore. I can't say I remember any episodes from those two series but I certainly remember seeing them in passing on tv as a youngster. Are they out on DVD?
raggedyman
Master Rewinder
Member # 4065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for raggedyman   Email raggedyman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DYNASTY II: THE COLBYS
Posts: 241 | From: London, England | Registered: Apr 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay I am going to have to say that these are two different shows. I would definately have to pick Dallas over Dynasty because I have recently watched reruns of Dallas and the acting is much better than that of Dynasty! Sorry to all of the Dynasty fans!
Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely Dallas, but I did catch Dynasty first for Nancy Drew and then for the rookie from T.J. Hooker. [Wink]

I was disappointed by who shot J.R. and fortunately I had stopped watching Dallas before Bobby woke up from that stupid dream. [Razz]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started watching Dynasty last night. I think I could easily become addicted to it.

I had no idea it was filmed/ or supposedly takes place in Denver, Colorado.

I love looking at how the rich people live...I love Blake's House...gosh is it gorgeous. I love the fashion.

I like that Crystal was a regular person, she didn't come from money.

I like all the drama with the whole love thing...like the guy she loved comes home from the middle east, but now she's engaged to Blake, now she's conflicted....I love that stuff.

I always thought Pamela Sue Martin was gorgeous. I love the name Fallon for a girl, that is a cool name. I like watching her and her Dad horseback riding...and I love the cars, and the fashion...Fallon had awesome clothes and gorgeous hair...that's the kind of lifestyle I like seeing on TV...not this poor white trailor trash life style that is portrayed on every tv show now.

I want to know there is better ways of living out there than that.

I always wanted to strive to live in a nice home, to have nice stuff, to eat better than at fast food places every night, and seeing how rich people lived...was so cool to me in the 80's, and it still is today, because I love getting ideas for my house, for doing landscaping around my house...and to me it was always fun to think about and daydream about what that would be like to live that type of life style, even though if I was a multi millionaire...I wouldn't actually live like that...but it is cool to see others doing it.

Can't wait to watch some more!

They definately don't make shows like that any more, that is a total bummer too.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miyagi-Turbo
Master Rewinder
Member # 4340

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Miyagi-Turbo   Email Miyagi-Turbo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Close race between the two, but for me Dynasty just passes Dallas at the finish line. I always remember watching both shows with my mother and also my grandmother when we were all together. Another question to throw in this whole Dallas/Dynasty mix is, what theme song do you like better? They are both great, but I like the theme song from Dynasty a tad more than the one from Dallas.
Posts: 203 | Registered: A Long Time Ago! | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ISIS wrote, in part:
quote:
...and I love the cars, and the fashion...[snip]..that's the kind of lifestyle I like seeing on TV...not this poor white trailor trash life style that is portrayed on every tv show now.
Yes, I'm sure there's lots of trailer park trash participating on "Dancing With The Stars" as well. LOL!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home