iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Nancy Martinez, for tonight

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Nancy Martinez, for tonight
records1black
Master Rewinder
Member # 7105

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for records1black   Author's Homepage   Email records1black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a song this is. It is really good for all you Freestlye lovers out there!!!! I think it is brill and catchy. yes I like my pop catchy songs. Songs that have really good rythams and a strong beat.

Anyone think of artist I may like similar to her??

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3g899MIDXF8

Posts: 180 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I thought I was the only one who knew this song I actually have the 12" single. The production reminds me of of something like Pretty Poison or Stacey Q. Are they freestyle too?
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
records1black
Master Rewinder
Member # 7105

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for records1black   Author's Homepage   Email records1black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes they are. I have Pretty poisons greatest Hits and I have some songs by Stacey Q. I love 80's music of all sorts of genres. I have orderd an album by Nancy Martinez from Amazon.com which is on the way to me here in England.

This song by Pretty Poison was used I think in the movie Hiding out. This is the song and the film:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=omx7u0ZWUAY

Posts: 180 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When did this freestyle label originate from? Is it a term for the miami sound? Drum and bass or something? Before I only knew the term freestyle as being for hip hop, when a rapper starts rhyming at the top of his head unscripted. I think Nancy M is canadian?
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
records1black
Master Rewinder
Member # 7105

Member Rated:
Heres the anwnser to your question Riptide. It all statred with the death of disco back in the early 80's. There was a radio station called Disco 92 WKTU from New York. The main audience that listened to the radio station were Hispanics and Italian Americans. When disco died a death the radio sation changed to just WKTU and began to play more main stream stuff I.E pop etc.

Other radio stations follwed suit and Kiss-FM became the most popular radio satation for the Hispanics because they played more underground stuff.

A record was released in 1982 that had a new sound, it was a song called 'Planet Rock':

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9h6pcqC6wrI

This track is more Hip-hop-be-bop, but it was because of this track, and others like it, that infulenced artists like C-bank who opted for a more melodic approch; (even Freeze who eventulay had hits in New York); These artists also opted for a more dance/break beat style, which I think is the best way to describe Freestlye, moreover its stlye. The main audince tho was latin. So, the dj's on the radio stations mentioned began to play those records to make them more main stream.

In 1985 a club opened up called the Devils nest in the Bronx where a DJ called Little louie Vega, (who was puerto Rican) played records by artists like Expose, The Cover girls and because of that Freestlye took of further. You could say Freestlyle was born because of The Devils Nest.

I hope that helps, it is quite difficult to explain, but the artists who sang the records are mostly Hispanic. [Smile]

Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
Interesting stuff, I knew that the early 80's New York scene was a melting pot of divergent styles coming together, like punk, new wave, no wave, disco, even punk funk. I think the term I heard bandied about was mutant disco, to describe divergent acts like ESG, Liquid Liquid, Konk, Contortions, Kid Creole and the Coconuts. Even Madonna came out of this scene, I believe she wanted to get Konk as her backing band at one point.

Believe it or not I met Afrika Bambatta once, he was DJ that night, but he came in the day time to this great used record store, picked up a bunch of records, signed some stuff for us, even signed some Kraftwerk records. So cool top see someone who was essentially there for hip hop's ground zero.

records1black
Master Rewinder
Member # 7105

Member Rated:
I am pleased you appricated all that typing!!!! He he!! I am so pleased that there is someone else out there who likes this sort of music.

What was it like to meet Afrika Bambatta them?
I love Madonna!

Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
r1b, I really like that early 80's underground stuff, there's some really good compilations called New York Noise vols.1-3 that documents this time. It's on a great label called soul-jazz records which also reissued ESG, A certain ratio etc.

Bam was pretty intimidating looking, but he was nice and soft spoken, and he appreciates his fans.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home