iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Five Star what a group!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Five Star what a group!!
records1black
Master Rewinder
Member # 7105

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for records1black   Author's Homepage   Email records1black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love this group they rock big time. They have such catchy songs and it is a shame they went bankrupt. I think that was because of their father tho. Not sure, but still, I am a pup.

This song is ace, Let me be the One [Cool]

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPRde0LKZ9E

Cheack out the dance moves on this one, the slighest touch

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=HcahkiUSD-o

Posts: 180 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought I was the only one whor emembered them! I loved Let Me Be The One and All Fall Down. They sort of reminded me of a '80s version of THE JACKSONS.
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In case you wanted to know more (and were interested in just how far the Jacksons motif could be followed) :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Star

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
records1black
Master Rewinder
Member # 7105

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for records1black   Author's Homepage   Email records1black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know what you mean about them being like the Jacksons. I think their dance rutines are ace though, they really could perform and it is a shame that they didn't have much sucess in the later part of the eighties. I think system addict was one of their biggest hits and Rain or Shine.
Posts: 180 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw them live a few years ago and they were actually really good! What a suprise! [Smile]
Posts: 1026 | From: The '80s | Registered: Feb 2000 | Site Updates: 407  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of them was engaged to Eddie Murphy???
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mamamiasweetpeaches:
One of them was engaged to Eddie Murphy???

Wasn't everyone at some stage? I know I was (although that's a part of my life I don't really want to talk about)....

[Cool] [Razz]

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
records1black
Master Rewinder
Member # 7105

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
I saw them live a few years ago and they were actually really good! What a suprise! [Smile]

I am sooo jealous of you for seeing them live. I bet they were really good!!!! [Wink]
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I accidentally saw a Five Star video "Find the Time" yesterday on VH1 and i loved it!
What´s wrong with me [Smile]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBqfCjtuwaY&feature=related

-

Of course i know the band but i´ve never actually listened any songs before.
Now can someone tell me should i buy the Silk and Steel (1986) cd based on that one tune?
Does it include similiar material?

-

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Accidentally huh, yeah right... [Razz]

Can't Wait Another Minute and Rain Or shine are also popular tunes from that same album.

I bet they sound familiar when you listen to them.

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Silk and Steel' was their biggest album and had wall-to-wall hits. They were huge in the UK for about 2 years and then their popularity suddenly dried up. Main reason was their fans were primarily pre-pubescent and ditched them as they got older.

They had a whole bunch of catchy songs, but started taking themselves far too seriously. People started to hate them. Biggest falls from grace in the UK pop charts in the 80's: # 1) 'Bros' # 2) 'Five Star'.

Hits from 'Silk and Steel':

Rain or Shine # 2
Find the Time # 7
Can't Wait Another Minute # 7
The Slightest Touch # 4
Stay Out of My Life # 9
If I say Yes # 15

'System Addict' from their previous album is also a good one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lViUvmZZM8

quote:
They have such catchy songs and it is a shame they went bankrupt. I think that was because of their father tho. Not sure, but still, I am a pup.
It was because they spent obscene amounts of money very quickly, and lost popularity quickly. It's hard to oversell just how disliked they were at a certain point (ditto Bros):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVZ_MMM2KhY

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duckie Dale Winton
Master Rewinder
Member # 3419

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Duckie Dale Winton   Author's Homepage   Email Duckie Dale Winton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to work in a record shop during their heyday, and was subjected to their stuff a lot.

At the time I thought they were so appalling, they made me want to stick a fork in both ears.

Despite all the years that have passed since, the mere mention of their name has had my hand hovering over the cutlery drawer... [Wink]

Posts: 242 | From: Northampton, England | Registered: Oct 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Being from the states, I missed these guys completely. But then I heard System Addict years later and checked out the rest, and they are alright.

Now, Bros are on another level...Drop the Boy and When Will I Be Famous...A M A Z I N G!

Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Now, Bros are on another level...Drop the Boy and When Will I Be Famous...A M A Z I N G!
Tut tut! Bros came from the town next to mine and my sister knew them (a bit). I HATED them at the time but when the New Kids came along and stole their thunder I suddenly became fascinated with their huge fall from grace.

Interesting to note: Listen to 'When Will I Be Famous' again... it isn't a guy singing the chorus! It was a female backing singer - she sued them and lost! Also interesting to note that their album listed songs written by 'The Brothers' to make people think they wrote them - they didn't.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home