iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » YAZ (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: YAZ
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm listening to YAZ: UPSTAITS AT ERIC'S right now. What a great cd. Every song on it is good.
Does anyone know whatever happened to Alison Moyet?

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sweet "Lee" Peaches asked:
quote:
Does anyone know whatever happened to Alison Moyet?
She has just announced a tour in the U.K., promoting her latest CD.

http://www.alisonmoyet.com/news.htm

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrashesParties n TheValley
Rewind Mobster
Member # 2903

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for CrashesParties n TheValley   Email CrashesParties n TheValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love YAZ they have a very soulful sound,i've always like:

"Don't Go"

"Only You"

"Situations"

All though i have to admitt that the video for... "Only You" was a little CREPPY!!! [Big Grin]

And i've always wondered what YAZ was doing "Upstairs At Eric's" [Big Grin] GOOD Choice of Music your listening too Mamamiasweetpeaches [Cool]

Posts: 2221 | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i love "nobody's diary" by yaz, and other songs as well.

funny, right now i am listening to 'weak in the presence of beauty' by alison moyet. another great song.

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yaz is totally 80's. My favs are "Only You", "Situations", "Don't Go", & "Tuesday" which is on another CD, but worth checking out.

I once went to a club that was called "Upstairs At Eric" which turned out to be a cool technodance bar. That was fun!

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrashesParties n TheValley
Rewind Mobster
Member # 2903

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for CrashesParties n TheValley   Email CrashesParties n TheValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YAZ's

"Only You" was used in my favorite '90s movie... "Can't Hardly Wait" in the scene near the end of the movie,at the Train Station when Preston Myers locks lips with Amanda Beckit [Cool]

Posts: 2221 | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution, where is your attic-room? I'm just guessing, but could it be.... upstairs at Eric's?

{sorry......}

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought they were Yazoo? I'm sure that's what they were called here. There was a song in 1988 by Yazz and the Plastic Population, called "The only way is up", great song
Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stitch groover wrote:
quote:
I thought they were Yazoo? I'm sure that's what they were called here...
Same group. In the U.S., the group's name had to advertise itself as Yaz in 1982, when it was discovered that a small record company called itself Yazoo Records and registered the "Yazoo" name.
Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earth Angel
Angel of the Rewind
Member # 3301

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earth Angel   Email Earth Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That confused me too, I was thinking Yaz with her good old classics such as doctor in the house, the only way is up and....and....and....oh no that was it [Wink] I can regularly be found making a fool out of myself by dancing to 'Only you' on the dance mat I got for my birthday (its the only recognisable song)
Posts: 981 | From: If they dont kiss, they dont fall in love | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
I still love Alison's song "Invisible" song from 1985! [Smile]

If I remember correctly, she was slightly pregnant when she made that music video!

mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooops...forgot all about that.
There WERE two groups called Yaz. And so the One Yaz had to change thier name to Yazoo.
The Yaz that sings THE ONLY WAY IS UP (which is hard to find...I had to download it) is NOT the same group Yaz that did SITUATION,MIDNIGHT,ONLY YOU,DIDNT I BRING YOUR LOVE DOWN etc.
I think one of them was spelled YAZZ and one was YAZ......
(What are the chances of two groups of people thinking "YAZ" was a cool name for a group???)

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhutch
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1352

- posted      Profile for Jhutch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i had to download some yaz songs after watching 'the chocolate war'.....
Posts: 82 | From: Southern USA | Registered: Apr 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too bad Yaz only had two albums, they definetly had some dance anthems. The keyboard work sounds very similar to the first Depeche Mode album Vince Clarke played on. I would love to find the rest of their videos, the only one I have seen is Don't Go.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AMCO Steve
Rewind Curious
Member # 3782

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for AMCO Steve   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Retro-Remix of ‘Don’t Go’ – Exclusive on AMCO

A brand new, exclusive remix of the Yazoo/Yaz classic 'Don't Go' has been unveiled to download on www.alisonmoyet.co.uk.

The Retro Remix, by Subway Collective, takes the 80s style and puts it through a modern production twist.

There is a short sample on the site to give everyone a taste - and you will be able to enjoy the full seven minute track after becoming a member.

See you at AMCO - the Moyet Fans Site! [Wink]

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alison Moyet has such a deep and soulful voice, her and Annie Lennox are my favorite kind of english singers for that style. Situation is such a great dance song.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YAZ and erasure are two synth bands i could never get in to. i always thought the singer for YAZ was a guy.

YAZ just did some reunion shows according to sirius satellite radio. they had a weeklong YAZ special with allison and vince interviews.

Posts: 675 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ha...we are dusting off so many old threads that I have to reread everything before I comment. I'm like, who is that loser?.....oh wait that was me two years ago.

Vince Clarke has had quite the career. I still enjoy Yaz and Erasure, but they pale in comparsion to Depeche Mode.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
I was surpised to see this bumped up _ I forgot I wrote it! And I almsot started a YAZ thread a few days ago cuz I just found out ALISON MOYET us playing near me soon. I dont know anybody who'd want to go. I guess I COULD drag my husband...but he's not really a fan. Hmmmmm.
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Upstairs At Erics has one of those classic 80s album covers - one I have, and may well frame at some point......

-

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
I'm still a Yaz or Yazoo (for dancing queen Earth Angel) almost 5 years later... I so miss those technodance bar days!
saturnchick
Master Rewinder
Member # 7524

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for saturnchick   Email saturnchick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Situation" is one of my favorite 80's new wave songs. "Only You" was also a good one, and has also been used in Napolean Dynamtie and the American version of the television show "The Office".
Posts: 339 | From: New York City | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Any fans of the tune "Midnight" by Yaz?
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All good tunes. Many of them used on 'The Chocolate War'. 'Only You' is an all time classic. The second album - 'You and Me Both' - while being weaker than the first, is pretty good too. 'Nobody's Diary' from that album is an absolute cracker.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
Don't Go is a great song too.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home