iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » sixteen candles song (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: sixteen candles song
livinglnoblivion
Rewind Curious
Member # 3740

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for livinglnoblivion   Email livinglnoblivion   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
does anyone know the name or artist who does the song at the very beginning of the scene when sam and randy enter the dance? it's right at the beginning of one of the first few chapters in the dvd. i've been trying to find this out for like 2 years. thanks!

=april=

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey April,

Yes, this is a good question. I am a soundtrack maniac and I have been unable to find out the origin of that song. You're talking about the one that's like "Filene...Filene..." right? I don't know what to tell you. I'm just glad I finally found a copy of "Rev Up" the song that's playing at the begining of Jake's party. Good luck [Smile] .

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrashesParties n TheValley
Rewind Mobster
Member # 2903

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for CrashesParties n TheValley   Email CrashesParties n TheValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always thought it was "Our House" but sung in a foreign language. I tried checking for the song in the end credits but it was listed. I be may crazy but..i swear that song sounds like "Our House" by MADNESS
Posts: 2221 | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no idea, but I think it's cool that you all pay that much attention to the obscure music in 80's movies. That is a way cool hobby to attempt to figure out the title/artist of songs and then score one of the songs somewhere on the net. [Cool] I am really suprised nobody has started a movie soundtrack website that includes every song in a movie and not just the songs listed in the credits.
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Valley, that is one of my goals. I need to learn how to make a website though... [Confused]
Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Mobster
Member # 2903

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for CrashesParties n TheValley   Email CrashesParties n TheValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It funny that you mention that ValleyCat...Cause that is my favorite hobby,trying to find 80s songs, that where used in a 80s movie but..Never was credited. So i'll have to find out the title and the artist of that song.

And Sixteen Candles was one of those move..It was the same scene,the school gym dance. And the song was "Whistle Down The Wind" by Nick Hardaway former lead singer from the 80s band Haircut 100. It took me years to find out the name that song. Nick also had another song that was used in the movie Sixteen Candles... "When It Started To Begin"

Posts: 2221 | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

We have had the "Our House" discussion before. That can't be the song. It's not even credited. Whistle down the wind is the song when Jake is slowdancing with what's her name. "When it started to begin is" the song that is playing when Joan Cusack is getting a drink at the fountain. I have been looking for the song that you speak of forever.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it's not OUR HOUSE? i always thought it was too.
i thought when jake dances with carolyn, 'true' is playing.
ahhh, the soundtrack for 16 candles or the songs that were used in the movie, have been the biggest mystery. such hard to find songs.
i sure wish someone who took part in making the movie, or had anything to do with the music they used, would come forward and give a complete list of the songs and explain at which point in the movie, where they can be heard. ya right, like that'll ever happen [Razz]

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does this list help?

"Lenny"
Written by Stevie Ray Vaughan
Performed by Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble
Published by Ray Vaughan Music Inc.

"Young Americans"
Written by David Robert Jones (David Bowie)
Performed by David Bowie
Published by Chrysalis Music

"Sixteen Candles"
Written by Luther Dixon and Allyson R Khent
Performed by Stray Cats

"If You Were Here"
Performed by Thompson Twins

"Snowballed"
Performed by AC/DC

"Today I Met the Boy I"
m Gonna Marry"
Performed by Darlene Love

"Happy Birthday"
Performed by Altered Images

"Love of the Common People"
Performed by Paul Young

"Dragnet"
theme
Performed by Ray Anthony and His Orchestra

"Peter Gunn"
theme
Performed by Ray Anthony and His Orchestra

"Rumours in the Air"
Performed by Night Ranger

"Kazooed on Classics"
Performed by The Temple City Kazoo Orchestra

"True"
Performed by Spandau Ballet

"Little Bitch"
Performed by The Specials

"Wild Sex in the Working Class"
Performed by Oingo Boingo

"Growing Pains"
Performed by Tim Finn

"Ring Me Up"
Performed by The Divinyls

"Turning Japanese"
Performed by The Vapors

"Farmer John"
Performed by The Premieres

"When It Started to Begin"
Performed by Nick Heyward

"Whistle Down the Wind"
Performed by Nick Heyward

"The Godfather"
Love Theme
Composed by Nino Rota
Performed by Carlo Savina and Orchestra

"Rev-Up"
Performed by The Revillos

"Hang Up the Phone"
Performed by Annie Golden

"Rebel Yell"
Performed by Billy Idol

"Gloria"
Performed by Patti Smith

"Young Guns"
Performed by Wham

"Lohengrin"
wedding march
Performed by The Bavarian Staatsoper Munich Chrous and Orchestra
Conducted by Robert Hegan

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Though I still don't see anything that would make sense as "Filene, Filene". It does start out like "Our House" though. I wonder if it wasn't some kind of DJ mix or something.

Cindy, Devo, Ronnie & C.T. you know the song list well, do you NOT recognize any of the songs listed above?

Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Ronnie, True is playing the first time, and then the second time Whistle Down the Wind is playing "Hello, Hello, Hope you're feeling fine"

That's the song.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Mobster
Member # 2903

Member Rated:
Hey VALLEYCAT...

You left out one song???

I don't know who sings this but it goes:

"This Is Your Day"

A Party Just For You....."Your Day"

"Let's Blow Out The Candels"

Now that we're here alone

I like to give you something

To make your wish come true today

This song is playing in the scene when Sam is reading the Sex Test in Independent Study Hall..This song too is also not credited.

[ 21. January 2005, 12:40: Message edited by: CT ]

Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Ok this is a cool website that breaks down the songs in the movie by scene, but they don't know the "Filene" song either. They guessed Eilene.

Music From Sixteen Candles

Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
At this point, I think the only answer is for Cindy Mancini to do some more furniture store shopping in Wilkes-Barre PA. Surely Jake Ryan will know who we can contact. [Big Grin]
Rewind Mobster
Member # 2903

Member Rated:
And then there another song???

It is playing in the scene: Where The Geek get to drive Jake Ryan's girlfriend home,and as he is pulling out of the driveway in the Rolls Royce you here this playing..... "HEY SUCKER.......WHAT THE HELLS GOT INTO YOU"

Then DONGER jumps out the tree at Jake Ryan [Smile]

"Oh Sexy Girlfriend" [Wink]

Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
C.T. that song is "Young Guns" by Wham.
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
We have had the "Our House" discussion before. That can't be the song
We did have this discussion ages ago, and it is a soundalike 'Our House'. Only it isn't played by Madness (they probably couldn't get the rights). The opening music is the instrumental break from Our House, and the song then segues seamlessley into a different song. The problem is people think that the two pieces are from the same song - they aren't. The first piece is definitely a version of the break from Our House.

Here's a qoute from the IMDB forums (not the most reliable source, but I happen to agree with it):

"You might be talking about the mock version of "Our House" which was overdubbed in the video release since they only had the rights to "Our House" for the theatrical release. I'm not sure what it is but I seem to remember that it is a cobbled together studio song made to sound similar to "Our House" to fit the beat as well as the tone of the original.

When the dance scenes were shot there wasn't even any music, just a "thumper" to give everyone a beat to dance to. [Smile] "

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i do recognize about half or more of those songs valley, but it would help to know at what point in the movie the songs were used...the ones i don't know, i mean.

which is the song being played at the dance, while sam is outside the gym, crying in the hall, when carolyn and her friends walk by, talking about having a party at jake's house. it's not exactly a slow one, and i can't even make out what the words are.

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Dance: Geek talking to Jake/Sam sitting in hallway crying

"Growing Pains"
Written and Performed by Tim Finn
Courtesy of A&M Records

Hey Ronnie, there is a link above that breaks the songs down by scene. See if that helps any, I think Logan5 probably gave the best answer to the "Our House/Filene" question.

Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

sorry, i didn't see the link, but i will check it out thanks.
sky653
Rewind Curious
Member # 3742

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for sky653   Email sky653   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know you guys are talking soundtracks, Does anyone know what 80's Movie has the song "Melt with you" this must be an easy one, but please help if you can
Thanks

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
C.T.'s favorite movie [Big Grin]
Rewind Mobster
Member # 2903

Member Rated:
sky653 .... Valleycat is right that song... "Melt With You" is in my favorite movie:

-

Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

just had to bring this topic back, because i was laughing so hard at the whole 'our house' stuff.

a lot of us thought it was used in the movie and now, i am sure we all know different! [Wink]

Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Ronnie.. so awesome to see old threads with so much interesting discussion .. I'm reading it and thinking: who's this geek? .. then I look at the name and it was me!
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home