iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Belinda Carlisle w/gogo's vs. solo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Belinda Carlisle w/gogo's vs. solo
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watching some Gogo's stuff recently, still love those videos like Vacation, Lips are sealed, etc. I remember seeing them on the cover of the Rolling Stone in the early 80's and being impressed as a youngster. When Belinda went solo a few years after they broke up I remember how sheek and A-list she looked. I couldn't believe it, I guess she lost weight, grew her hair, grew up, etc.,all in a few years.

http://pop.youtube.com/watch?v=KXj0QcSDVRE

She changed her sound after the gogo's. I usually always prefer the band, but some of her solo stuff I dig. Circle in the sand always conjures up some great memories. What is BC up to recently? Someone was telling me that she released a french album recently? She should try doing some shows in Quebec if that's the case. Oui, oui

Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go Go’s all the way for me, Riptide. Though her solo work in the 80’s wasn’t bad either.

Somehow I can’t imagine her singing in French. The English and French language just don’t seem to blend very well. Except for Canada where they speak both of course.

But hey, if that is what will get her to visit Quebec… [Wink]

Bon chance mon ami!

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like her solo sound better for some reason. Circle in the Sand is my favorite from her.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always wanted to hear The Go-Go's version of 'Johnny are You Queer' since it was originally their song.
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sam 'The Made Man' Hain:
I've always wanted to hear The Go-Go's version of 'Johnny are You Queer' since it was originally their song.

I actually have it Sammy. It's a live or rehearsal version from the late 70's or early 80's. It's on their Return to the Valley of the Go Go's double cd. I can send it to ya via email if you'd like. Let me know [Smile] !

Josie Cotton best be grateful cause that could have been their hit!

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Riptide, I love the Go Go's, Belinda & Jane's solo stuff. I know Kathy Valentine has a band called The Dephines or something but I've never heard their music.

I think I'd have to go with prefering The Go Go's music overall. They only had four albums but there was a lot of great material there. Beauty and The Beat was the first vinyl I had. I got to meet Jane Wiedlin two years ago and I had her sign it! She was great...took pictures with us and talked. She's very pretty in person and very petite.

I loved the cover art for Belinda's first album. It was so simple and 80's but there was something classic about it too. Must be the pink and black.
 -
I'm not sure what Jane was thinking with this album cover...
 -
I think she was trying to go against the pretty, pop look and go more new wave, edgy, which reminds me, I loved her song with Sparks on the Valley Girl Soundtrack, "Cool Places."

Heaven On Earth was a good record too. Circle In The Sand is such a nice, relaxing, chill out to kind of song. After this album, I kind of lost interest.

I have Jane Wiedlin's Fur album and it has it's moments. Rush Hour is one of my all time fav songs. Inside A Dream is great too. I'm now on the lookout for Blue Kiss, after hearing it in Night of the Creeps.
 -
Favorite Go Go tracks:

We Got the Beat, of course.
Automatic
Speeding
Beneath The Blue Sky
We Don't Get Along
Mercenary
Lust To Love
This Town

I could go on and on. Love them! Your favs?

[ 16. July 2008, 06:52: Message edited by: cindymancini ]

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has to be Vacation for the group; the music video of them water skiing at Cypress Gardens is definitely an 80s classic. Of Belinda's solo tracks, I'd have to go with Leave a Light On.
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i've never been able to figure out why exactly, but i could never stand the go-go's. their only song i like as a group was 'vacation.'
i do like belinda's solo work (just a tad). 'mad about you' was my favorite.

i love jane wiedlin. she's so cute & cool...and has a little minnie mouse voice... as i've been told i do as well hehe. [Embarrassed]

jane was the best go-go girl in my opinion. i didn't like belinda too well.

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BEAUTY AND THE BEAT was the first album I ever bought too! every song on there rocks!

I like both GO GOs and BELINDA solo but I have to give the GO GOs the edge here- they rarely have a song I skip and BELINDA DOES have songs I'll skip over.

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Runaway horses,summer rain,world of love,heaven is a place on earth,leave a light on,circle in the sand,little black book,fool for love the list is endless of great solo Belinda tracks,but i do also like a lot of tracks from the go go's though as well.

I definitely agree about Jane wiedlin's track - rush hour https://youtu.be/gAsLDf-tYlg as well,such a catchy song!

[ 17. August 2015, 18:06: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for reviving this thread! Completely forgot about it! What timing, I just listened to the out of bounds soundtrack today and listened to Belinda's track Shot in the Dark which I completely forgot about. I got Belinda's autobiography recently, a good recommended read! She went out with the Dodger's Mike Marshall who was a described big jerk! I was taken aback how much she struggled with substance abuse. In fact I almost thought I was reading Billy Idol's book for awhile. It's interesting there were early Gogo's members who didn't make it like Margot Oliviera. I would love to see another Gogo's album, but I think some members are estranged. I think Kathy maybe?
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skatexedge
Master Rewinder
Member # 5712

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for skatexedge   Email skatexedge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go-Go's all the way. I can't stand BC solo. That music has no teeth. I don't like her either. Always seems to have an attitude and isn't very gracious or friendly with the fans.
Posts: 294 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
I finally saw the band on their farewell tour this August, yes, and I wasn't the oldest in the audience! It was ok, but probably not worth the $100 I spent. A few surprises like Wiedlin doing cool places, but no Rush hour! They also did one of their earliest songs during their punk era fun with ropes. Not saying it was a bad show by any means, but maybe smart they are calling it a day supposedly.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home