iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » '70s/'80s wedding songs......

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: '70s/'80s wedding songs......
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay first up...the one everyone seems to use:
Always and Forever....HEATWAVE (70s)

Mine was AL GREEN...Let's Stay Together(70s)
Other ones I considered were
ENJOY THE SILENCE...DEPECHE MODE (Totally 80s!)
and
THE PROMISE......WHEN IN ROME (Totally 80s!)
and
ETERNAL FLAME.......THE BANGLES (TOTALLY 80s!)

What songs did those of you who got married use? 70s,80s,or more traditional? Did anyone use a WHITESNAKE ballad?

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrashesParties n TheValley
Rewind Mobster
Member # 2903

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for CrashesParties n TheValley   Email CrashesParties n TheValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've Never Been Married [Frown]

I Guess Cause I Don't Want Childern [Confused]

But if i was getting Married our song would be:

Extreme "More Than Words" [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 2221 | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember my high school boyfriend's sister had "Cherish" by Kool and the Gang. I loved that song, it was our song too. I also really love "Can You Stand the Rain" by New Edition.

CT--no kids huh? The only reason I say this is because if something would happen with the mother then you would have to live with her forever. It is okay if you can get along, but trust me if you can't then it sucks!!!!

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel having a kid keeps me feeling young. Now Im sure when she's 16 I'll be back here b****in' and moanin' to you how awful it is...but at 6 its pretty cool.
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Mobster
Member # 2903

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for CrashesParties n TheValley   Email CrashesParties n TheValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel young and everybody tells me that i really don't look my age. And when i go to purchase Liquor or even Blunts i get asked for I.D. [Big Grin]

All of my friends have children and ask why i don't have any kids yet? [Confused] ..."I Don't Know". I love the freedom of not having kids i can came & go as i please. Spur of the moment if i wont to go out of town,i can just leave and not worry about taking or having somebody watch my kids. Besides i still a feel like a kid myself [Cool] Children are a B I G! responsibility and i not ready for all that pressure.

Posts: 2221 | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Part of Mamamiasweetpeaches' list:
quote:
...Other ones I considered were
ENJOY THE SILENCE...DEPECHE MODE...(Totally 80s!)

I love the song, but I just cannot imagine using it for a wedding!
Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All '80s weddings had to play "Celebration" at some point, which is why I hate that song to this day.

My husband wanted to dance our first dance to Freddy Jackson's "You Are My Lady" which wasn't my first choice...I'm glad we did because on the rare occasion that I hear it, it doesn't mean anything to me...if we'd used a song I really liked, I would probably never want to hear it again.

If I were getting married with another party reception, instead of a sappy ballad my fiance and I would probably pick something really wild & start bopping all over the place!

Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember a good friend of mine always said when he got married he was going to play the song "Shower Me with Your Love"- I think it is by Surface-???..I always thought it was major cheesey, but I listened to it the other day, and it wasn't as bad, and now it is better cause it is nostalgic.

Another song someone I know liked alot, and I thought it was Ok, was...Nothing's Gonna change my love for you....I forget who sings it..

A song I really liked, but don't know if it would have been totally great at a wedding is When I think of You-Janet Jackson, that song has alot of memories attached to it for me.

Everyone always played the song "If" by Bread at weddings around here in the 70's and the 80's.

I like Hands to Heaven by Breathe-but it isn't totally wedding music either.

I think an appropriate song would be-
You Better Be Good to Me by Tina Turner-

[Wink]

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got married in 1992-and the DJ I had ended up playing Stairway to Heaven 50 times, and it was never on my play list.

They didn't really follow my music, so I was stuck listening to whatever. I do remember they definately played Mony Mony-the Billy Idol version.

I think Garth Brooks was doing good back then too, and I liked the songs If Tomorrow Never Comes and The Dance.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Part of Isis9968's post:
quote:
...Another song someone I know liked a lot, and I thought it was Ok, was..."Nothing's Gonna Change My Love For You"....I forget who sings it...
It was a 1987 hit song by Glenn Medeiros. He now has a website at:
http://www.glennmedeiros.com

Here are the lyrics to the song:

"NOTHING'S GONNA CHANGE MY LOVE FOR YOU"
Glenn Medeiros
Music & Lyrics: Masser - Goffin

If I had to live my life without you near me
The days would all be empty
The nights would seem so long
With you I see forever
Oh, so clearly I might have been in love before
But it never felt this strong
Our dreams are young and we both know
They'll take us where we want to go
Hold me now
Touch me now
I don't want to live without you

(CHORUS)
Nothing's gonna change my love for you
You ought to know by now how much I love you
One thing you can be sure of
I'll never ask for more than your love

If the road ahead is not so easy
Our love will lead the way for us
Like a guiding star
I'll be there for you if you should need me
You don't have to change a thing
I love you just the way you are
So come with me and share the view
I'll help you see forever too
Hold me now
Touch me now
I don't want to live without you

(CHORUS)
One thing you can be sure of
I'll never ask for more than your love

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richie
Master Rewinder
Member # 3527

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Richie   Email Richie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was a DJ while in high school and got to play a few wedding receptions and I can rememeber 4 songs that I HAD to play at every wedding simply from request:

Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now--Starship
Always--Atlantic Starr
Celebration--K&The Gang (This was 70's but a must)

The fourth song that was played was done by a band already mentioned on this post, Surface. But I didnt get much 'Shower Me With Your Love' requests, but got a lot of 'The First Time' requests instead.

Other great songs that I remember playing frequently were:

With You All The Way--New Edition
Shout-I cant remember who this was, but its from teh Animal House soundtrack
In Your Eyes--Peter Gabriel
Take My Breath Away--Berlin

I am sure I could come up with a million if my old 45's were around me right now, but those were the heavy hitters for sure.

Posts: 248 | Registered: Nov 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I know is that there's only one person that should be singing at Wedding Dances and that's Robby Hart; afterall he is The Wedding Singer.

First song on his playlist should be "Love Stinks" by the J. Geils Band.

Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i can think of 2 right now,
you're the inspiration by chicago
when i see you smile by bad english

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
My sister used NOTHINGS GONNA CHANGE MY LOVE FOR YOU
theres two versions. she used the original. the remake is the one that actually became a hit.

* I know they always play CELEBRATION and so I made a list of what NOT to play for the DJ with CELEBRATION, WE ARE FAMILY etc. on there.
I asked him not to play MACARENA but someone requested it and he played it anyway.
I also specified NO Mariah Carey or Whitney Houston. My mom said "Play something I can dance with my son-in-law to" and the sonofa***** played Mariah Careys version of I'LL BE THERE. A** shoulda just played the JACKSON 5 version!

Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

The first wedding I went to in 88. Always by Atlantic Starr.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Thanks Steven, I kept wanting to say Glen Menendez...but I knew that wasn't right either...

Isn't it funny how everyone has certain songs that remind them of certain people, and you always go back to that moment in time when you hear it...

Just like More than a Feeling...

My High School boyfriend and I.... went to a dance and danced to I Can't Fight this Feeling by REO Speedwagon...and I bought him the 45 record for Easter, so I always think of that.

I love how songs do that...
I like the song Do You Love Me-Kiss...me and my roommate use to exercise every night to that song, and we'd sing it, it was so fun.

There are so many songs that have a person attached to them to me, and they might not even be songs that I loved a lot, but now when I hear them there is 1 person I associate each song to.

Some of those songs to me are:

Twist and Shout
and
You lost that Loving Feeling-2 of my real close guy friends sang that song in front of a crowd of people standing in line at Kings Dominion-to me and my room mate, and then they went and recorded both of those songs in one of those recording studio things and we died laughing.

Lisa Lisa and the Cult Jam really had cool memories for me too....
I wonder if I take you home
All Cried Out
and
This is Cult Jam....

The song Nothing's going to stop us now, was playing the night I meet my husband, but the songs that remind me of him the most is:
It Takes 2-Rob Base
When I Looked at Him-Expose
Listen to Your Heart-Roxette
Escapade-Janet Jackson
Miss you Much-Janet Jackson

Expose was awesome.

Rewind Mobster
Member # 2903

Member Rated:
I don't know if this topic is suppose to be about Romantic Love Song, to get married too or Cheezy Songs, played at the reception [Confused] [Big Grin]

But i think these song are kinda Romantic for a wedding in the '80s:

Madonna "Crazy For You"

Steve Perry "Foolish Heart"

Pat Benatar "We Belong"

Billy Ocean "Suddenly"

Cyndi Lauper "Time After Time"

Bryan Adams "Heaven"

[Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin]

HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Always" by Atlantic Starr has different significance for me:

On the night of May 24, 1987 I was surfing the TV at 9 months-&-plus pregnant before going to bed. Nothing was on...I kept hitting VH-1 and MTV...finally I went to bed because it was boring and my husband was already asleep...went into labor within 2 hours.

We ended up at the hospital and things were moving along just fine...but things started getting intense...and it became one of those moments in life where songs were whirling in my head and I couldn't think of anything: Atlantic Starr and [this is the kicker] "You Can Call Me Al!"

So whenever I hear those two songs, I always think of my daughter's birth.

Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earth Angel
Angel of the Rewind
Member # 3301

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earth Angel   Email Earth Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ultimate wedding song has to be 'suddenly' by Angry Anderson...I guess only Australian and English rewinders will know why.
Posts: 981 | From: If they dont kiss, they dont fall in love | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home