iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Luther Vandross's best 80s song

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Luther Vandross's best 80s song
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While my first instinct would be to nominate his long running turns on ABC Saturday morning's Zack of All Trades PSAs (yes, that was him singing those if you ever wanted to know), I try and focus on a real song, and for me that would be Stop to Love, definitely one of the underrated tunes of the decade, and one whose message rings louder today than ever. His vocals are nice and crisp and perfect for it.
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i haven't heard stop to love in so long, but i remember being little and my mother turning up the volume everytime that video would play.

i like luther's music, in general. but stop to love was just ok to me, i like never too much.... that was from the 80s wasn't it?

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IMHO, Luther is one of the all time greats with a simply fantastic voice and soul. He is sadly missed by me for one...

His live performance at the Royal Albert Hall in London (mid 90s) was simply one of the most impressive performances I've ever seen from any artist. Man, could that guy sing. Perfect reproductions of his recorded tracks... Live.

Luthre is never far from my CD player and I was just listening to "Stop to love" the other day. What a great track!

Others would have to be "Give me the reason", "Never too much" and, well.. all of them, really [Wink]

Posts: 1026 | From: The '80s | Registered: Feb 2000 | Site Updates: 407  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imawalkingcorpse
Master Rewinder
Member # 1675

1 Update

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for imawalkingcorpse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still say "If only for one night" is one of the better songs out there.
Posts: 199 | From: Overland Park | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earth Angel
Angel of the Rewind
Member # 3301

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earth Angel   Email Earth Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I once spoke to Luther Vandross on the phone and asked him to send a signed picture to my sister, who LOVED him. When she got it it said, with love to Jackie .......her name is Jayne.

X

Posts: 981 | From: If they dont kiss, they dont fall in love | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home