iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Top 20 Albums of the 1980's - #18

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Top 20 Albums of the 1980's - #18
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

#18 Whitney - by Whitney Houston

Let me get this straight, her first album was Whitney Houston (the self titled album), and her second album is just Whitney. Lame. At least go the Chicago route and make numbers, or Led Zeppelin if you will.

Anyway,
Released May 87
Sales: 10,800,000

Number one songs: 4 (*)

Tracks

1) I wanna dance with somebody (who loves me)*
2) Just the lonely talking again
3) Love will save the day
4) Didn't we almost have it all *
5) So Emotional *
6) Where you are
7) Love is a contact sport
8) You're still my man
9) For the love of you
10) Where do broken hearts go *
11) I know him so well

Ok, let me start by saying that Whitney win the Air Supply award for most songs with the word "Love" in it. But the sad part is that this album as a whole ranks higher in my opinion than some of the others that will follow this.

Whitney's 4 released songs all went to #1, there is a lot to be said about that. She's now in the "Where are they now?" file next to Spinal Tap.

The thing is that as much as I didn't like her when I was 12, I would say that its likely that I will pick this album up one day. The same way that I would pick up Air Supply.

Album rating - 8
Four very good songs, but more geared towards the ladies.
Need to own - Must have for girls, Should have for guys trying to impress girls.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got it - don't play it - but timing of single releases alongside courtship of lovely lady who became my lovely wife mean that if you ask her, "I wanna dance with somebody (who loves me)" is our song.....

(shudder)

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i had the cassette and i always liked so emotional.

good point though, D... the word LOVE is in a lot of her songs.

i've never been a big whitney houston fan. a couple of songs were worth listening to...

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Mouse Avenger
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4406

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Mouse Avenger   Author's Homepage   Email The Mouse Avenger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whitney isn't that bad of an artist, IMO. I love hearing her voice, & her songs are very, very good. I believe she also performed one for "The Prince Of Egypt" (that animated Moses biopic) back in '98--one of my favorite songs from the soundtrack, as a matter of fact. [Smile]

It's a shame, though, that she's been in & out of rehab so many times, & now Bobby's left her. I actually do worry about Whitney; if she's gonna get her life straight again, she'll need all the help she can get.

Posts: 1057 | From: With my mouse pals on Baker Street | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
isn't she supposed to be recording a new album?? i think i heard this somewhere...

another comeback for whitney...

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home