iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » What one song sums up the 80's for you? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What one song sums up the 80's for you?
Alex In Wonderland
Master Rewinder
Member # 4912

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Alex In Wonderland   Email Alex In Wonderland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a thought. I was listening to "Girls on Film" by Duran Duran and, for me, this optimises the 80's (makes me think of school - whether that is good or bad is debatable). Let's Dance by David Bowie is another one. What song does it for you?
Posts: 171 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Aug 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

I couldn't answer that question if I wanted to. There are so many songs that have so many different meanings. One song. Yikes. Ok, the first song that I remember memorizing was Who Can It Be Now? By Men at Work.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll Melt With You by MODERN ENGLISH

Another good one that feels "totally 80s" to me is A-HA's Take On me.

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someday-Glass Tiger (personal reasons)
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Motley Crue's "Wild Side," Psychedelic Furs' "Pretty in Pink" and Simple Minds' "Don't You Forget About Me."
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
human league's DON'T YOU WANT ME [Smile]
Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louden Swain
Master Rewinder
Member # 3671

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Louden Swain   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Politics of Dancing - Reflex
Posts: 245 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, this question almost hurts my head to consider...there are just sooo many songs. I think two or three songs that really make me think of the 80's and bring me right back in time are "Der Kommisar" by After the Fire, "Steppin' Out" by Joe Jackson and "Can You Hear Me" by Mike and the Mechanics. They just have that perfect 80's synth sound. I love it!

And NowhereGirl, good call with the Human League. "Facination" is one of my favorite songs.

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oreb
Senior Rewinder
Member # 5007

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Oreb   Email Oreb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmm... don't you want me is at the very top for me

it's hard to decide, so I'll list a few:

power of love (huey lewis)
don't you forget about me (simple minds)
rebel yell (billy idol)
the goonies are good enough (cindy lauper)
electric dreams (georgio moroder and paul oakley)
tell it to my heart (taylor dayne)
keep me hanging on (kim wilde)
it's a sin (pet shop boys)
never let me down again (depeche mode)
livin on a prayer (bon jovi)
and of course...

jump (van halen)

Posts: 55 | From: Croatia | Registered: Sep 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oreb
Senior Rewinder
Member # 5007

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Oreb   Email Oreb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
don't dream (it's over) always works for me, makes me kinda melancholic when I think about the time I was used to hearing it on the radio when I was a small kid
Posts: 55 | From: Croatia | Registered: Sep 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mamamiasweetpeaches:
I'll Melt With You by MODERN ENGLISH

Another good one that feels "totally 80s" to me is A-HA's Take On me.

I too was thinking about Melt with You
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alex In Wonderland
Master Rewinder
Member # 4912

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Alex In Wonderland   Email Alex In Wonderland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funnily enough "Once In A Lifetime" just came on Pandora and that had me thinking about the bizzare discussions we had at school about Talking Heads. One of the guys I used to go to school with was David Byrne minaturised, personality and looks!
Posts: 171 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Aug 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firefox
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 5000

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for firefox   Email firefox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who could forget (1)"Somebody" by Depeche Mode. I'm just in the first grade when I first heard it and I'm still loving it.For the mellow people who can forget (2)"Hands to Heaven/How Can I Fall" by Breathe.
Posts: 29 | From: Sydney | Registered: Sep 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't sum up 1 song either.

Missing You-John Waite
All Through the Night-Cyndi Lauper
Stone in Love-Journey
Someday-Glass Tiger
Heart & Soul-T'Pau
When Doves Cry-Prince
Flesh for Fantasy-Billy Idol
Drive-The Cars
Panama-Van Halen
Crazy for You-Madonna
What's Love Got to Do with it-Tina Turner
Summer of 69-Bryan Adams
Affair of the Heart-Rick Springfield
Waiting for a Girl Like You-Foreigner
Take Me Home Tonight-Eddie Money
Edge of Seventeen-Stevie Nicks (that might be #1)
The Last Mile-Cinderella
Shot in the Dark-Ozzy Osbourne
Take Me to Heart-Quarterflash
Waiting for a Star to Fall-Boy Meets Girl
Dynamite-Jermaine Jackson
Obsession-Animotion (that is probably #2) I loved that song!
I Drove All Night-Cyndi Lauper

There just was so much music in the 80's, that it is impossible to choose. It was the best being a teen then and falling asleep to the radio every night and listening to the top 40, and watching Friday Night Videos and watching Solid Gold. It was great going rollerskating to this music.

Even though Michael Jackson is a weirdo....Beat it and Billie Jean did really start it all.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dorothy
Senior Rewinder
Member # 4879

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Dorothy   Author's Homepage   Email Dorothy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rock Me Amadeus

Er war ein Punker
Und er lebte in der großen Stadt
Es war in Wien, war Vienna
Wo er alles tat
Er hatte Schulden denn er trank
Doch ihn liebten alle Frauen
Und jede rief:
Come and rock me Amadeus

Er war Superstar
Er war populär
Er war so exaltiert
Because er hatte Flair
Er war ein Virtuose
War ein Rockidol
Und alles rief:
Come and rock me Amadeus
Amadeus, Amadeus...

Es war um 1780
Und es war in Wien
No plastic money anymore
Die Banken gegen ihn
Woher die Schulden kamen
War wohl jedermann bekannt
Er war ein Mann der Frauen
Frauen liebten seinen Punk

Amadeus, Amadeus...

Posts: 82 | From: Easton Pa | Registered: Jul 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dorothy
Senior Rewinder
Member # 4879

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Dorothy   Author's Homepage   Email Dorothy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hast Du etwas Zeit für mich
Dann singe ich ein Lied fuer Dich
Von 99 Luftballons
Auf ihrem Weg zum Horizont
Denkst Du vielleicht grad' an mich
Dann singe ich ein Lied fuer Dich
Von 99 Luftballons
Und dass sowas von sowas kommt

You and I in a little toy shop
Buy a bag of balloons with the money we've got.
Set them free at the break of dawn
'Til one by one, they were gone.
Back at base, bugs in the software
Flash the message, Something's out there.
Floating in the summer sky.
99 red balloons go by.

99 Luftballons
Auf ihrem Weg zum Horizont
Hielt man fuer UFOs aus dem All
Darum schickte ein General
Eine Fliegerstaffel hinterher
Alarm zu geben, wenn es so war
Dabei war da am Horizont
Nur 99 Luftballons

99 red balloons.
floating in the summer sky.
Panic bells, it's red alert.
There's something here from somewhere else.
The war machine springs to life.
Opens up one eager eye.
Focusing it on the sky.
Where 99 red balloons go by.

99 Duesenjaeger
Jeder war ein grosser Krieger
Hielten sich fuer Captain Kirk
Das gab ein grosses Feuerwerk
Die Nachbarn haben nichts gerafft
Und fuehlten sich gleich angemacht
Dabei schoss man am Horizont
Auf 99 Luftballons

99 Decision Street.
99 ministers meet.
To worry, worry, super-scurry.
Call the troops out in a hurry.
This is what we've waited for.
This is it boys, this is war.
The president is on the line
As 99 red balloons go by.

99 Kriegsminister
Streichholz und Benzinkanister
Hielten sich fuer schlaue Leute
Witterten schon fette Beute
Riefen: Krieg und wollten Macht
Mann, wer haette das gedacht
Dass es einmal soweit kommt
Wegen 99 Luftballons

99 Knights of the air
Ride super-high-tech jet fighters
Everyone's a superhero.
Everyone's a Captain Kirk.
With orders to identify.
To clarify and classify.
Scramble in the summer sky.
As 99 red balloons go by.

99 Jahre Krieg
Liessen keinen Platz fuer Sieger
Kriegsminister gibt es nicht mehr
Und auch keine Duesenflieger
Heute zieh ich meine Runden
Seh die Welt in Truemmern liegen
Hab' nen Luftballon gefunden
Denk' an Dich und lass' ihn fliegen

99 dreams I have had.
In every one a red balloon.
It's all over and I'm standing pretty.
In this dust that was a city.
If I could find a souvenier.
Just to prove the world was here.
And here is a red balloon
I think of you and let it go.

These songs guess would sum up some 80's songs

Posts: 82 | From: Easton Pa | Registered: Jul 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always prefered the German version of 99 Luftballons over the english version
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi_randi
Rewind Curious
Member # 5016

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for andi_randi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devo's Whip it is by far the best song lyrically that can sum up the 80's. Hello...Raising Helen got it right!
Posts: 2 | From: Hickville, USA | Registered: Sep 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Mouse Avenger
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4406

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Mouse Avenger   Author's Homepage   Email The Mouse Avenger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any hit song by Prince or Michael Jackson ( [Big Grin] ), as well as Huey Lewis, Chicago, Peter Gabriel...the list goes on & on...
Posts: 1057 | From: With my mouse pals on Baker Street | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AdventuresInGooniesitting
Master Rewinder
Member # 1882

- posted      Profile for AdventuresInGooniesitting         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Don't You Forget About Me" by Simple Minds
Posts: 269 | From: Dawson's Garage, I owe $5 | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joker
Master Rewinder
Member # 3840

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for joker   Email joker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
to many to list
Posts: 307 | Registered: Feb 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LONNIE
Senior Rewinder
Member # 3934

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for LONNIE   Email LONNIE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boys of Summer by Don Henley reminds me of going to school at Ohio State.
Posts: 91 | From: ohio | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BabyLove19781999
Ace Rewinder
Member # 2336

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for BabyLove19781999   Email BabyLove19781999   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don Henley - The End of the Innocence
Posts: 371 | From: Ottawa & Fort Lauderdale | Registered: Feb 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elvira Is My Real Mother
Rewind Curious
Member # 5064

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Elvira Is My Real Mother   Author's Homepage   Email Elvira Is My Real Mother   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Without a doubt...RIO Duran Duran.
Posts: 10 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
butterfli
Rewind Curious
Member # 5073

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for butterfli   Email butterfli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think.......Drama Rama Anything
Posts: 3 | Registered: Oct 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home