iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Greatest of the Greatest (Hits)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Greatest of the Greatest (Hits)
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Inspired by a day off tomorrow, I can actually comprise a thought or two for some topics.

What in your opinion, is the best of any greatest hits CD that you have bought? There are no requirements to this (it didn't have to be released by the artist)

An example, I consider Blondie's Best of Blondie CD to be a fantastic greatest hits album.

We are DEVO.

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richie
Master Rewinder
Member # 3527

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Richie   Email Richie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would say Journeys Greatest is my fave.
Posts: 248 | Registered: Nov 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Mouse Avenger
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4406

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Mouse Avenger   Author's Homepage   Email The Mouse Avenger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best Of Blondie
Ultimate (it has lots of Prince remixes, for those who don't know)
Garth Brooks: The Hits

Posts: 1057 | From: With my mouse pals on Baker Street | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oooh, good question!

I'd have to say the Eurythmics Greatest Hits. I've got it on cassette, cd, video and DVD.

I also love The Bangles Greatest Hits, Bananarama's Greatest Hits and The Carpenter's Greatest Hits.

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Motley Crue--Red, White and Crue
The Very Best of Elvis Costello
Neil Diamond Gold
Essential Judas Priest
Janis Joplins Greatest Hits

I could go on and on

Even though I prefer to get Studio CDs, greatest hits packages are a quick fast way to fill up ones collections

Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My all time favorite has to be Thin Lizzy's Greatest Hits.
Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ice Cube's Greatest Hits
Motley Crue-Red, White and Crue
Stone Temple Pilots-Thank You
Def Leppard-Rock of Ages
Van Halen-Best of Both Worlds
Tom Petty's Greatest Hits
Smashing Pumpkins-Greatest Hits

Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dorothy
Senior Rewinder
Member # 4879

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Dorothy   Author's Homepage   Email Dorothy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i would hafe to say greatest cd i bought was my ELO oh yea a little 70's with the 80 spent a arm and a leg for the 3 disc set at Virgin Records in New York.
Posts: 82 | From: Easton Pa | Registered: Jul 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Dorothy!

Welcome to the board.

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alex In Wonderland
Master Rewinder
Member # 4912

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Alex In Wonderland   Email Alex In Wonderland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Police: Greatest Hits
Madness: Divine Madness
Rolling Stones: Hot Rocks

I don't tend to go for Greatest Hits CD's unless the band/artist in question are no longer going and/or dead as having to rebuy them when they release a new track is annoying!

Posts: 171 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Aug 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Motley Crue--Red White and Crue

The Police--Greatest Hits

Tom Petty--Greatest Hits

Soundgarden--B Sides (Pretty much a greatest hits collection)

Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tidalwavetiburon
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 4939

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for tidalwavetiburon   Email tidalwavetiburon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine would have to be

1. The Eagles-Hell freezes Over Hell (not a REAL greatest hits, but in my eyes it is)

2. Journey

3. Alice In Chains-Greatest Hits

4. Bruce Springsteen- Greatest Hits

These arent in any particular Order

Posts: 14 | From: mass | Registered: Aug 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Colt 45
Master Rewinder
Member # 4940

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Colt 45   Email Colt 45   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Def Leopard is my favorite CD. and it was by far the best concert I have ever seen man I got so frickin drunk!
Posts: 124 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Cure-Staring at the Sea and the Cure's Galore are top notch.

Classic Queen is another.

Greatest hit and misses of Devo

A slight overcase of bombing by Sisters of Mercy is a great package.

The best of Bauhaus vol.1-2.
The Birthday Pary's Hits collection. Hits? Yeah right.

Funny, after years of being around there still is no best of Metallica or Oasis cd's.

Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louden Swain
Master Rewinder
Member # 3671

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Louden Swain   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spot on Riptide for both Cure which I have and Greatest Hits and Misses....I also have and like...

Echo & The Bunnymen - Songs To Learn & Sing
The Alarm - Standards
New Order - Substance
Peter Murphy - Wild Birds
Oingo Boingo - Best o' Boingo
The Replacements - All for Nothing/Nothing For All
The Very Best of The Smiths
and some headbangin'
Best of Dokken
The Very Beast of Dio

Posts: 245 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LS, looks like you've been snooping into my record collection with some ot those stellar choices.

THE EATB songs to learn and sing is a good package, but the later one Bedgugs and Ballyhoo besto of is better in my opinion. Or even the Crystal Days box set too.

Motley Crue's Decade of Decadence

Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louden Swain
Master Rewinder
Member # 3671

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Louden Swain   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Riptide,

Will have to check the later one! By the way have you heard their 2005 release Siberia? I cannot quit listening to it!

Posts: 245 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
Siberia is a pretty good album, Ian Mculloch's voice has seen better days, but the songs and the guitar playing is spot on.
Willow
Master Rewinder
Member # 4953

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Willow   Email Willow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Duran Duran ~~ Greatest

(yes I was a Duranie. [Smile] )

Posts: 105 | From: Indiana | Registered: Aug 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Willow123:
Duran Duran ~~ Greatest

(yes I was a Duranie. [Smile] )

I didn't like Duran Duran in the 80s, but in the 90s I loved "Come Undone." I bought the GH CD for it. And it alone. I'm bad for doing that.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alex In Wonderland
Master Rewinder
Member # 4912

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Alex In Wonderland   Email Alex In Wonderland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Loved "Ordinary World" by Duran Duran, then nothing came from them except an ill-advised covers album (featuring a cover of a Public Enemy track I believe).
Posts: 171 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Aug 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

And that crappy version of White Lines. Oh man, I just threw up a little.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alex In Wonderland
Master Rewinder
Member # 4912

Member Rated:
That was it Devo! I wonder if Grandmaster Flash was just desperate for the money or if he thought "Hey! Let the middle class white dudes do it - I need a laugh!".

As an aside, I grew up near to where Duran Duran (and quite a few other UK 80's bands) came from and we got to see them fairly regularly in a kind of 'before they were famous' way.

Anyone remember PWEI? or The Wonder Stuff? (Maybe this is something for a separate thread).

pettyfan
Member # 2260

quote:
Originally posted by Alex In Wonderland:
Loved "Ordinary World" by Duran Duran, then nothing came from them except an ill-advised covers album (featuring a cover of a Public Enemy track I believe).

I liked Ordinary World, too.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home