iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Anthrax

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anthrax
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anybody like them? I've only heard snippets of a few of their songs, like "Caught in a Mosh." How heavy are they? Is there a lot of screaming involved? Thanks!
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the most underrated bands of all time IMO. Try the albums "Among the Living" and "Persistence of Time." It all depends on the song as to the level of screaming. The "Among the Living" lineup with vocalist Joey Belladonna was my fave album by them. They also put on a great live show if ya ever get the chance to see them live. I saw them with Rob Zombie last year and the live show was in my top 5 of all time faves. I emailed rhythm guitarist Scott Ian a couple of years back telling him I signed a petition to get them on Ozzfest (they didn't get on in the end) and he actually emailed me back which I thought was pretty cool....
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Mouse Avenger
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4406

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Mouse Avenger   Author's Homepage   Email The Mouse Avenger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The band sounds familiar...but doesn't ring a big bell. I'm not really into death metal or any of those genres.
Posts: 1057 | From: With my mouse pals on Baker Street | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favourite song by them is "Bring the Noise" which they recorded with rap superstars Public Enemy.
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anthrax are NOT death metal. They were the most underrated of the BIG FOUR (Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth included).

Saw them with the classic lneup at Download last year and they received one of the best welcomes of the weekend.

Definitely listen to the Among The Living album. I kinda went off them once they went the whole rap-metal thing and certainly didn't enjoy any of their Bush-era music.

Belladonna for President!!!

Noms [Cool]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

The Persistance of Time album is awesome.

I happen to like Attack of the Killer B's better.

They brought me into the mainstream by being absolutely amazing. "I'm the Man" is a great song too.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Mouse Avenger
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4406

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Mouse Avenger   Author's Homepage   Email The Mouse Avenger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's the name Anthrax that made me think it was "death metal" (which, as I have found out, it certainly is not). And the songs creep me out, in an Eminem-kinda way.

Prince is my #1 rocker! (And Blondie, too.)

Posts: 1057 | From: With my mouse pals on Baker Street | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With all due respect Mouse, Prince is no rocker and has no place in an Anthrax thread...

Noms [Cool]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Amen to that Noms.

We are DEVO.

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So they're a lot like Metallica...the early Master of Puppets/Ride the Lightening Metallica? That I could handle.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Mouse Avenger
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4406

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by NOMS Illusion:
With all due respect Mouse, Prince is no rocker and has no place in an Anthrax thread...

Noms [Cool]

I see...(frowns a bit)

Well, I respect your opinion nonetheless.

Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Noms with the Belladonna comment. They were way much better with him at the mic. Bush was great in Armored Saint but he didn't have the chops to cover the Anthrax sound the way Joey could.
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duckie Dale Winton
Master Rewinder
Member # 3419

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Duckie Dale Winton   Author's Homepage   Email Duckie Dale Winton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always loved Anthrax with Joey, and still do. I remember seeing them at Donington in '87, and they were excellent.

However, I disagree with the comments about the John Bush era. "Sound Of White Noise" was exceptional, and "Stomp 442" was pretty crushing too. Saw 'em with Bush supporting Motorhead a few years ago, and they were still on top form.

Anyone got a problem with this remember....."I am the law.....you won't fcuk around no more!" [Wink]

Posts: 242 | From: Northampton, England | Registered: Oct 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home