iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Madonna vs Cyndi Lauper

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Madonna vs Cyndi Lauper
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back in the day, who did you prefer? Obviously Madonna won the battle as she's still a major success and Cyndi has been relegated almost to the "where are they now" files.

I was definately on the side of Cyndi Lauper at the time. She had a stronger voice (I still think this is the case), better songs and a more interesting personality. It wasn't really until Like a prayer that I really got into Madonna. And of course around the same time Cyndi released "I drove all night" possibly my favorite of her catalogue.

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I prefer Cyndi Lauper, who I actually got to see last year and man, can she hit those high notes (same can not be said of Madonna).

I liked Madonna's first album and a handful of her other stuff but think she's one of those people that each album gets a little worse as they come out. I hate her last few efforts.

Cyndi Lauper, on the other hand , I like most of her stuff.

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it true that Cyndi Lauper is slated to be in the new SURREAL LIFE season???
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Madonna's music has pretty much sucked (like Prince sorry Prince fans) post 1989. I liked a couple of her songs post 1989, but I think she shoulda hung up her wedding dress and pointy bra long ago. I like Cyndi better..........

P.S. No more movies please Madonna!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 3842 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eightieschick
Rewind Guru
Member # 4385

- posted      Profile for eightieschick   Email eightieschick       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard that Madonna did a 58 page nude spread in some magazine. Yuck! I don't care who you are- at 48 it is time to grow up and become a respectable mother! She's probably had all kinds of lifts and tucks anyway. Any woman who has kids, their boobs are going to sag after awhile, it's just a matter of gravity.
Even Cyndi Lauper dresses more age appropriate now. She's not trying to wear tiny skirts, etc. anymore.

Posts: 713 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Mouse Avenger
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4406

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Mouse Avenger   Author's Homepage   Email The Mouse Avenger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cyndi Lauper. For the same reasons as above in the first post.
Posts: 1057 | From: With my mouse pals on Baker Street | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I LOVED Cyndi Lauper in the 80's. The She's so Unusual album was one of my top played albums. I never liked Madonna that much...I think my favorite songs by Madonna were "Crazy for You", and "Live to Tell".

Cyndi-I liked All through the Night and I drove All Night was probably my favorite too...I played it on my cassette player in my 1986 Cavalier when I would drive home on the weekend to see my family...I lived about 2 hours away, but I went home on the weekends as much as possible...and I played that song...and The Eagles cassette with the song "One of these Nights"...I played them all the time. So, every time I hear them...I just remember listening to them in my car...I can picture me wearing a black tank top dress...and my denim Lee jacket and black slip on shoes, and wish I could go back in time and save those clothes.

It is cool how music connects you to memories.

Posts: 13420 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too tough to call for me I really liked Madonna's first couple albums and I really liked Cyndi Laupers first two albums as well. After that can't say I've liked much by either.

Now if we're talking about the two of them facing off in a knife fight or something I'm pretty sure Madonna would win.

Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i

Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always liked Lauper better, but my older sister liked Madonna better.

I remember telling her one time back in the day that Madonna would never last and Cyndi was much better at singing and had the whole package.

I guess I was wrong about Madonna's longevity, but Cydi is still out there too, and she doesn;t have to dress like a nun or sacrafice herself to get attention.

Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought they were both neck and neck by 84-85, but I guess Madonna had a bit more pull in the industry and pushed the envelope more for the rest of the 80's. I liked Cyndi's I drove all night in the late 80's, but she couldn't compete hit wise with the Like a Prayer Madonna.
Posts: 4297 | From: Tuff Turf Academy | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cyndi for me...her "She's So Unusual" album is one of my all time favs...I remember getting the cassette tape for Easter. I agree with Motley....don't like much of Madonna's stuff after "Like A Prayer", with a few exceptions. Cyndi is the 80's Queen to me.....though in 84'...I would have rather kissed Madonna...though would pass on a kiss now!
Posts: 1897 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Author's Homepage   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's easily gonna have to be Cyndi Lauper for me as well. Aside from a very small handful of Madonna songs that I think are OK, I've never really been a fan of hers. I've only ever bought 1 Madonna record. That was "Ray of Light." But I only bought that record because William Orbit did all the music arrangements on it, and I'm a big Orbit Fan.

And also, I don't think it takes a genius to see who's the better actress.

Posts: 1506 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Watch your favorite 80s movies for FREE and you'll be supporting this site! There's no catch! Please just click and sign up.
Amazon want you to try their service for 30 days and will donate to us every time someone does. Thank you for supporting us!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home