iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Frank & Moon Unit Zappa's song "Valley Girl"...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Frank & Moon Unit Zappa's song "Valley Girl"...
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, have any of you heard this song? It was recorded by Frank Zappa's daughter during the whole valley girl craze? I listened to it the other night for the first time in a long time and I have to say it's funny. The music itself kinda sucks but the words are hilarious. Moon Unit did a hell of a job with that accent, you know?
Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the download Cindy. I so remember this song...infact if I'm not mistaken, this song made the Valley Girl craze mainstream back in the 80's. Just think if not for this song, the movie "Valley Girl" might not have ever been made.

Moon Zappa is totally awesome with the Val Speak in this tune. I love how she mentions the Galleria!

OMG..I'm Like Freaking Out Totally [Wink]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Part of Valley's post:
quote:
...Just think if not for this song, the movie "Valley Girl" might not have ever been made.
Actually, Lily Tomlin and Whoopi Goldberg were doing Valley Girl-type characters in their comedy routines in the very early 80's, just before the time that song came out! [Smile]

Also, there were some Valley Girl characters on SNL sketches in 1980, by Gail Matthius and Denny Dillon.

But the only difference between those and that song is Moon Unit was from the L.A. area. The others were New York-based versions of Valley Girl types.

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have it. I heard it not long ago on the radio when I was in the shoe store, and it was so bizarre to actually hear it somewhere else. Me and my one friend listened to it constantly in the 80's...it was like our 2nd favorite song next to Bob and Doug Mackenzie's The Great White North.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by StevenHW:
Part of Valley's post:
quote:
...Just think if not for this song, the movie "Valley Girl" might not have ever been made.
Actually, Lily Tomlin and Whoopi Goldberg were doing Valley Girl-type characters in their comedy routines in the very early 80's, just before the time that song came out! [Smile]

Also, there were some Valley Girl characters on SNL sketches in 1980, by Gail Matthius and Denny Dillon.

But the only difference between those and that song is Moon Unit was from the L.A. area. The others were New York-based versions of Valley Girl types.

Matthius would later use her Valley Girl accent for the voice of Shirley The Loon on Steven Spielberg's cartoon "Tiny Toon Adventures".

As for the song...Hilarious, for sure.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home