iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » The Pixxies

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Pixxies
the_haimster
Rewinder
Member # 4485

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for the_haimster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can anyone tell me how big a band they were in the late 80's?

Did they appeal to most or just some?

many thanks,

Posts: 45 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved the pixies, but they weren't really a mainstream band that everyone loved. They were funky, punk, yet soulful. The had a good sound that stood out. One of their better known songs was "Monkey Gone To Heaven". They also toured again recently, I believe the entire original line-up was there.

Kim deals, vocals/guitar, had a band with her sister in the 90s called The Breeders, their big hit was "Cannonball".

Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yah I rememeber them being at the Coachella Festival in CA when I went the year before last...
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Pixies were ahead of their time. Even thought they released two clssic albums in the end of the 80's, they sounded like nothing on earth at the time. They have been creditied so much over the years for influencing the 90's alternative explosion with bands like Nirvana and Smashing Pumpkins owing a sizeab;le debt. Kurt Cobain confessed to Newvermind's success as trying to rip off the Pixies.

The Pixies became really popular years after they broke up bitterly in 1992. With Frank Black's solo career and KIm Deal's the Breeders project throught the 90's, they joyfully had a reunion. I saw two of the reunion shows last year and they were wonderful, they were tight and sounded like they never left. They even opened fro Weezer for one show and I thought they blew them off the stage. So i look forward to they purported reunion comeback album in the future. Fingers crossed.

Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louden Swain
Master Rewinder
Member # 3671

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Louden Swain   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was my former name here. I saw them last June near Washington D.C. They were unbelievable!
Posts: 245 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They have been saying for 2-3 years they are going to make a new album, but I'm skeptical. Still one of the best american alternative bands ever.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
they are one of the great and influential bands of the 80's. as has already been stated, they were a favorite band for many of the bands who became big in the 90's.

i never saw the reunion shows live, but i caught one on tv one night in minneapolis, and they were tight as hell. like they never stopped playing together.

and i would love to hear a new album.

Posts: 675 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home