iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Christopher Cross

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Christopher Cross
Marty McFly
Master Rewinder
Member # 4403

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Marty McFly   Email Marty McFly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard a few of his songs growing up, in fact, it was music from this era (say, 1979-82/83) that have some of the very first memories for me.

IMO he had a good mix of two eras: the general feel and sensitive side that '70s singer-songwriters did, mixed with some '80s musical style (it wasn't Duran Duran or anything, but his stuff had some synths/keyboards). Whatever it was, he did alot of ballads and love songs that I've always liked.

"Sailing" is my favorite ballad (more the stuff he normally does) and "All Right" is a good pop/rock song - this is a bit more "80s".

Posts: 136 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love Sailing...but I think my favorite song of his is: Ride Like the Wind.

I have his greatest hits CD. His music is extremely calming and peaceful.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marty McFly
Master Rewinder
Member # 4403

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Marty McFly   Email Marty McFly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, for sure. I like to play a full album of his if I have to do alot of homework or writing, for instance. It's good as background music, but fun enough to "get into" as well.

Yeah, "Ride Like the Wind" is another good one. Very bouncy pop/rock, and a cool little story.

Posts: 136 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Never Be the Same" is also a great song...I highly recommend it.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marty McFly
Master Rewinder
Member # 4403

Member Rated:
Yeah, that's another favorite. On the surface, it's kind of a fun pop song, but if you listen to the words (which I tend to do), it becomes kind of sad - i.e. he won't be the same without being with this girl he used to love.

Do you also like "Say You'll Be Mine"? Even if it had a very typical "early 80s pop/rock" sound, it's a very good one that should've been more popular. "The Light is On" is another song off that album I like.

Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget "Arthur's Theme."
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
He also did...Think of Laura....which was huge back when General Hospital was cool in the 80's.
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just read that that song isnt actually about GENERAL HOSPITALS Laura (I thought it was for 30 years!) but a friend he knew named Laura who had died.
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He did a song for the Growing Pains show where they went to Hawaii. It's on his Greatest Hits Live CD, but I can't think of the name of it right now. I'm sure it wil come to me as soon as I post this. Anyway, it was his only song that I liked.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ISIS wrote:
quote:
...His music is extremely calming and peaceful.
For me, his music was annoyingly too peaceful. Then I discovered it sounded much better when I played it at 78 rpm. [Big Grin]
Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Jabeen!
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louden Swain
Master Rewinder
Member # 3671

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Louden Swain   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Think of Laura depresses me when I hear it but still a good one.
Posts: 245 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Listened to Sailing yesterday in the car, takes me back so much......
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alot of good stuff by him that brings back memories for me too:

Sailing
Think of Laura
Swept Away
Arthur's Theme
All Right

Lot's of others I like too. I have the 2-disk cd set - Walking in Avalon.

Forgot to mention....Cross is also very good friends with Eric Johnson, one of my favorite guitarists. They have done work together on each other's albums as well.

[ 17. March 2009, 15:46: Message edited by: 80'sRocked ]

Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love "Arthur's Theme" and "Sailing", and a big General Hospital fan back in the day, so, "Think Of Laura" was great as well. On a music channel show, they used Christopher Cross as an example when citing The Buggles - "Video Killed The Radio Star"...blaming Chris' poor looks for being partially responsible for ending his career...apparently, people were expecting a Greek God at the end of that voice.
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I love the flip side of "Ride like the Wind"- it's called: Minstrel Gigalo.

What happened to StevenHW, he usually comes back around?

I always start to worry about certain people, how would anyone ever know if something bad ever happened to them?

Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you try and PM him Isis? Let's hope he's just busy or computer problems.

I think Bruce Hornsby is in that Christpher Cross category as well. Didn't look like typical rock stars I guess, but made some good music.

Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
buffalo-girl
She's going round the outside, round the outside...
Member # 7498

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for buffalo-girl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i like a few of his songs: think of laura, ride like the wind, and arthur's theme sailing is okay! dee
Posts: 1236 | From: buffalo, new york | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home