iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » '80s songs that sound like another artist?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: '80s songs that sound like another artist?
Marty McFly
Master Rewinder
Member # 4403

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Marty McFly   Email Marty McFly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just thought this would be a cool topic to get everyone's opinion on (we all interpret things a little diferently, including music, which makes it interesting IMO).

For instance, a couple years ago, I got a 1985 compilation CD with a power ballad-ish song I'd never heard before (but have since totally loved!) - Giuffria's "Call to the Heart". The guy's voice sounds alot like Steve Perry in that song, IMO. Enough that I can tell it's not him, but there's a similarity for sure.

I'll post some others later.

Posts: 136 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kingdome Come--Get it On; is a blatant Led Zeppelin ripoff.
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marty McFly
Master Rewinder
Member # 4403

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Marty McFly   Email Marty McFly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ I agree. Billy Squier's early stuff also sounds very Zeppelin-ish, with an '80s twist.

A few more offhand:

"Some Guys Have All the Luck" Rod Stewart - Sting
"I'll Wait" Van Halen - Genesis
"I Just Died in Your Arms" Cutting Crew - Journey
parts of "Soliatire" by Laura Branigan - Pat Benatar
"All Right" Christopher Cross - Toto

Posts: 136 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Mouse Avenger
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4406

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Mouse Avenger   Author's Homepage   Email The Mouse Avenger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For some reason, Earth, Wind, & Fire always sounded like either Prince or Morris Day & The Time.
Posts: 1057 | From: With my mouse pals on Baker Street | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
even though EW&F was around a lot longer than either of those two?
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought some Men at work stuff sounded very Police-Sting like.

There was also this Euro band called the Essence who sounded a lot like the Cure.

Some Talking Heads songs with the singing like Burning Down the House sounded a lot like Devo. Oingo Boingo had some sort of Devo thing going too.

Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Journey was around for longer than Cutting Crew, so maybe the influence trickled down to them.

Same thing with EW&F...They might have influenced Prince and Morris Day.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eightieschick
Rewind Guru
Member # 4385

- posted      Profile for eightieschick   Email eightieschick       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marty McFly:
Just thought this would be a cool topic to get everyone's opinion on (we all interpret things a little diferently, including music, which makes it interesting IMO).

For instance, a couple years ago, I got a 1985 compilation CD with a power ballad-ish song I'd never heard before (but have since totally loved!) - Giuffria's "Call to the Heart". The guy's voice sounds alot like Steve Perry in that song, IMO. Enough that I can tell it's not him, but there's a similarity for sure.

I have that Giuffria album. It's still at my mother's though, so I haven't listened to it in ages. I loved their hair- all long and blonde and flowy! They did sorta have a Journey vibe to them. I know a lot of 80's bands sounded similar to one another. And if I heard the beginning riff of a song, it was hard for me to distinguish what song it was (was that a Poison song, or Warrant or whoever?). I always got Poison and Warrant mixed up- I was not a huge fan of either band in the 80's and I thought their songs sounded the same.
Posts: 713 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Mouse Avenger
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4406

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Mouse Avenger   Author's Homepage   Email The Mouse Avenger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rocksteadyflamethrower:
Same thing with EW&F...They might have influenced Prince and Morris Day.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

I see...
Posts: 1057 | From: With my mouse pals on Baker Street | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

quote:
Originally posted by eightieschick:
quote:
Originally posted by Marty McFly:

I have that Giuffria album. It's still at my mother's though, so I haven't listened to it in ages. I loved their hair- all long and blonde and flowy! They did sorta have a Journey vibe to them. I know a lot of 80's bands sounded similar to one another. And if I heard the beginning riff of a song, it was hard for me to distinguish what song it was (was that a Poison song, or Warrant or whoever?). I always got Poison and Warrant mixed up- I was not a huge fan of either band in the 80's and I thought their songs sounded the same.
If I recall Greg Giuffria was a member of 70s band Angel.
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once, back in the day, I had created a list of songs that I originally thought were sung by other groups/singers.

One such example from the early 80's was Quarterflash's first hit, "Harden My Heart". At the time, I thought it was the latest single by Pat Benatar!

[Smile]

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was listening to Break these Chains Judas Priest's Screaming for Vengeance album and was blown away how much it sounded like an Ozzy Osbourne song.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hordak
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1772

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Hordak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only one I can think of was Climie Fisher on 'Love Changes Everything'. Convinced I was listening to the new Rod Stewart track.
Posts: 97 | From: Midlands, UK | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richie
Master Rewinder
Member # 3527

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Richie   Email Richie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought every Steve Perry CD in one night convinced that he was the one singing 'If I Could Fly, I'd Pick You Up'. I wanted it for a tape I was making for my g/f at the time and finally a pal tells me it is Benny Mardones.

P.S. Does anyone want to buy the entire Steve Perry solo collection??? [Smile]

Posts: 248 | Registered: Nov 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Oh Sherry should be on that. It's worth it for that, but I have the album. Sorry.

WE are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home