iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » There Will be No Smiths Reunion.....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: There Will be No Smiths Reunion.....
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Read Here!
Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah, it's a pipe dream, I guess s Smiths reunion is our equivalent of those dreamers of the 70's clamoring for a Beatles reunion, or even a Police reunion. There's just too much bad blood between Moz and the other band members, particularly Marr. it would be great to see while they still have their hairlines, but it's certainly not about money.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Riptide. As much as I would have liked to have saw it (and would have probably flew to CA to see them at the Coachella festival), it's nice to see that it's not always about the money...
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sux, but I'm glad that money is not an issue. It's great to see artisit who do it because they love it, not because of the record deals, videos, fame and award shows. It's sad that Johnny Marr and Morissey don't get along anymore because they sure made great music together.
Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrashesParties n TheValley
Rewind Mobster
Member # 2903

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for CrashesParties n TheValley   Email CrashesParties n TheValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But What The Hell..it's Not Like MORISSEY Needs to Be In The Smiths Anymore. He's Still Doing Shows Without the SMITHS..and The People LOVE HIM LIKE A GOD!!!!

"I'm Sooooh Sorry" [Big Grin]

Posts: 2221 | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's still probably a dead issue, but I did hear there will be a new Smiths compilation and (egad) Smiths members will be working on it, although probably not in the same room. The Smiths have to be the best fall music there is, without realising it I took out all my Smiths cd's off the shelf this weekend to listen to.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the biggest heartbreak in my life is never having seen moz perform with the smiths.

i don't know if his problems lie directly with marr, though i know they had their differences. i did read that he was sued by andy rourke over royalties or something and that there has always been bad blood between those two.

he does quite a few smiths songs now on his solo tours, about six a show from what i've read, but it's just not the same. too bad for me.

best band ever.

edit: look at riptide bringing back threads from the dead. i just realized this started in '06. i assumed this was about moz rejecting a 5 million dollar payday for a reunion. good thread though.

Posts: 675 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
I could have seen Moz here in 97, but I didn't go or something, maybe I was worried about fawning guys getting onstage and mobbing him or something. I should have gone, because he hasn't played here since. I did see Johnny Marr with his band the Faith Healers but unfortunately no Smiths snippets.

The Smiths problems are deep rooted and as dysfunctional as any band there is (fellow Mancs Stone Roses are in there too). From the beginning the Smiths had erratic manaagement and a shaky relationship with their record company Rough Trade. Morrissey was hard to deal with, and still is, Marr had to do a lot of work on top of just coming with material, he had to deal with management, produce, all sorts of things. The pay scheme was that Moz and Marr got the lion's share of royalties and money, and Joyce and Rourke were given a lower wage which would haunt the band later. It's such a shame they can't put aside their differences as Marr and Moz formed one of the best songwriting partnerships, I'm still holding out for a miracle, but they haven't been together in 21 years.

Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never say never......
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home