iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » INXS

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: INXS
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember them? what a great band they were.
Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah. It's annoying beyond belief though how a band can still honestly call themselves by the same name when their lead singer is not even with us anymore. I think they should have to change the band name. That dude that's the new singer sux. Good voice, but it's just not INXS...
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know what you're saying Motley. I loved INXS, and I was fumed when they decided to get a new singer the way they did.

After thinking about it for awhile I'm not as angry. Michael killed himself. He never asked his children or his band if it was ok. Sucicide is selfish.

It would be different if he was still around and they did this, but he's not. He left the world on his own terms, so his band did what they wanted too. They still wanted to tour and create music so that's what they are doing.

Don't get me wrong, Michael is not someone who can ever be replace, his voice, and his charisma will never be reproduced. WE just have to remember that he left the band, the band didn't leave him.

Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Mouse Avenger
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4406

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Mouse Avenger   Author's Homepage   Email The Mouse Avenger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why did he kill himself? [Frown]
Posts: 1057 | From: With my mouse pals on Baker Street | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's generally accepted in Australia that Michael Hutchence's death was accidental - Auto Erotic Asphixiation. He was trying to increase his, um, "pleasure", by tying a belt around his neck to restrict the amount of oxygen intake.

For those who watched the X Files, Clyde Bruckman forsaw Mulder dying under similar circumstances.

I'm not a major fan of INSX, I like a few of their songs, and I really couldn't care less if they kept going or not. You guys might not know this, but they had kept going since Michael died with a few different singers, including John Stevens of Noiseworks and (believe it or not) Terrence Trent-D'arby.

It's not unheard of for bands to replace their lead singers and go onto bigger and better things - look at ACDC. Bon Scott was replaced after his death and they went on to become of the biggest bands in the world.

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Mouse Avenger
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4406

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Mouse Avenger   Author's Homepage   Email The Mouse Avenger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's right, you know. [Smile]
Posts: 1057 | From: With my mouse pals on Baker Street | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kick still remains one of my favorite albums, I even got muy eye on that recent aotobiog they put out. I also have also loved listening tomtheir early stuff cd Stay Young-1979-82 in recent times and was surprised how much of the pre-fame stuff holds up. Learn to Smile sounds like the Killers could have done it. After Michael death it was like watching a repeated car crash with INXS trying to go one, first with Terence Trent Darby and now JD. I don't mind the fact they went public looking for a singer like that, at least the guy looks like he paid his dues to get to fill Michael's shoes. Also he has the voice range to sing INXS classics too which helps. I just wish that the songs could be better, they spent all this time since Michael's death, and none of the new stuff has impressed me. Michael's death is still a shame, how he could just throw in the towel like that when there are so many people with much worse problems than him. They were just making a nice comeback with elegantly wasted and then he decided to end it all, and then Paula Yates a few years later. What a waste.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the Kick album. I had to own it once I heard "Need You Tonight/Mediate." Anytime I hear that song, I'm right back in 1987/1988. Such a great time and great album!
Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
INXS died with Hutchence IMO, very few bands survive the demise of their frontman. 'The Doors' carried on after Jim but it just didn't work, the only other group I can think of and like are 'The Manic Street Preachers' (who go from strength to strength).

Michael Hutchence was somewhere in between tragic hero and rock n' roll cliche; I hear the poor guy lost his sense of taste (in women?) after hitting his head in a fight, and this probably damaged him in more ways than one. I doubt AEA played a part in his death, though he was a radical guy so I wouldn't rule it out either, as for not wanting to marry the late Paula Yates; Michael was worshipped by Kylie and many other women, I doubt he was whipped to the point where she'd force him into anything. My guess is that the alchol, mixed with the Prozac, his injury and going out with Paula Yates led him to contemplate suicide, he acted it out but never meant to actually do it.

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrashesParties n TheValley
Rewind Mobster
Member # 2903

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for CrashesParties n TheValley   Email CrashesParties n TheValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
INXS RULED THE '80s

Michael Hutchence MADE INXS bottom-line!!!...that SULTRY voice of his made the band MEGA-STARS in the '80s.

I just refuse to listen to any of INXS music unless the song is being song by Michael Hutchence(but that's just my issues!)

[ 23. March 2006, 10:08: Message edited by: CrashesParties n TheValley ]

Posts: 2221 | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home