iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Do you get different reactions from your '80s fandom based on age?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do you get different reactions from your '80s fandom based on age?
Marty McFly
Master Rewinder
Member # 4403

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Marty McFly   Email Marty McFly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gotta go in a minute, but wanted to ask this first. [Big Grin]

Just wondered, do you all -- respective to your age -- get different responses from people when you tell them how into the '80s you are (or when they find out for themselves by hanging around you, LOL)?

In other words, there seems to be a notion that if someone born around 1969 primarily listens to '80s music in their car, that they're "stuck in the past" almost as if it's a bad thing. Whereas if a 15-year old really digs it, they'll praise him and say, "Oh cool, this kid is smart, he's getting into the oldies."

Does that make sense?

P.S. I get a mixed reaction of those two. I'm old enough to remember the '80s, but am more of a "late '80s/early '90s kid".

Posts: 136 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Mouse Avenger
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4406

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Mouse Avenger   Author's Homepage   Email The Mouse Avenger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doesn't make sense to me...
Posts: 1057 | From: With my mouse pals on Baker Street | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marty McFly
Master Rewinder
Member # 4403

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Marty McFly   Email Marty McFly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mouse Avenger:
Doesn't make sense to me...

Yeah sorry, I was in a hurry when I wrote that, so maybe I wasn't as clear as I could've been, LOL. [Wink]

What I meant is basically, when people find out you're into the '80s, do they tend to react a certain way, and I wondered how it varies with all of here who might be at different ages.

I just know, at times, when I've ended up mentioning it, people seem to be pleasantly surprised. Well, not surprised so much if I mention something more late '80s (NES games, Full House) since I was already starting first grade in '88, but if I talk about the original MTV VJ's or something, they seem to be more surprised that I like/know about it.

Honestly, there does seem to be a thing where, if someone born around 1970 (an '80s teen) still watches Miami Vice or blasts "Billie Jean" in their car, people view them as stuck in the '80s or whatever.

Someone my age would probably get the same reaction from saying they still watched Beavis & Butthead or Chris Farley movies, because there does seem to be a notion that you're "expected" to like stuff from your teen years (well, truthfully, anywhere from about age 8 to 26 could be formative).

[ 14. March 2006, 20:29: Message edited by: Marty McFly ]

Posts: 136 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home