iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Your feelings about male 80's bands that wore makeup.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Your feelings about male 80's bands that wore makeup.
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Slowly but surely I am seeing more new bands like Avenged Sevenfold and Bullets for my Valentine using that old glam/Guns n Roses?Hanoi Rocks look. I mean AFI had that look for a while but I guess more hard rock bands are slowly tring to come back with that.

Did any of you find it hard to like these bands with meake up seriously? You seemed to have a lot of variations, like Boy George doing his drag look, to tough sounding bands like TSOL, Motley Crue, Misfits, Wasp and Twisted Sister using is as more of an intimidation factor. Did you like this look? or did you feel the bands could have stood up on their own talent and looks and didn't need the makeup in th first place?

Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't really think much about bands that wore makeup back in the 80s because it became commonplace for alot of them too. As long as they rocked, I was cool with it since most of them did it for an image anyways. Long live the Crue!!
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was once in The Village and I saw Michael HANOI ROCKS Monroe walking down the street. Brace yourself, Kids: He really dresses like that in real life! And this wasn't in HANOI's hey day. It was in the '90s! He was all coiffed and made up and was wearing a spangly purple number. He looked like he just got back from posing for album covers!

I actually loved the whole 80s face fulla make-up thing. i used to take fashion ques from MOTLEY CRUE and RATT. Okay, so i'm a GIRL but ....I dressed like them anyway.
And I like KISS better with the makeup ON!

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eightieschick
Rewind Guru
Member # 4385

- posted      Profile for eightieschick   Email eightieschick       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mamamiasweetpeaches:

And I like KISS better with the makeup ON!

Yes, they are quite scary without the makeup,ha,ha!

I think for me it depended on the band. I thought Motley Crue looked cool with the makeup, but I don't really care for Poison anyway and I thought they looked horrible with their makeup. It depends on what type of makeup too- Poison's makeup was more "girly" and Motley's was more dark. Who could ever imagine seeing Alice Cooper doing a show without the eyeliner? There are so many others. So for me, it just depends on the band and how they are made up. I personally like the guys with some eyeliner on.

Posts: 713 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AnGeLEyeZ
Master Rewinder
Member # 4595

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for AnGeLEyeZ   Email AnGeLEyeZ   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
being that i am a diehard kiss motley and gnr fan....i have to say i LOVE the makeup....even on robert smith from the cure...well when he was younger, but ya i always liked it when a hot rockstar had on eyeliner lol! [Wink] ~ ok so im weird
oh and i must not 4get prince *sighs* i would die 4U! mmhmm

Posts: 192 | From: NJ JerzShoreBaby! | Registered: Feb 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it was all about the rock. If a band kicked *** then it didn't matter too me what they wore or how they looked.

One sidenote: Vixen sucked with or without makeup.

Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally liked it. It kind of made you think that these guys appreciated women and all we do to look good...I don't know if that makes sense...but there was just something sexy about it because the music, at least in Motley Crue's case was very masculine and tough but then you had the other side there too..Nikki Sixx with those two black stripes under his eyes was it for me!
Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked VIXEN!
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the only reason Vixen got any airplay was because of the novelty of them being heavy metal chicks. they never would have gotten signed if they were an all guy band because the music was very pedestrian at best.

I'd much rather listen to Smashed Gladys or Madam X. Even though they weren't all chick bands they had female band members whose bands kicked far more *** than Vixen ever did.

Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, too, think that as long as they rocked it didn't matter if they wore makeup or not. I do, however, agree with whoever made the comment about Poison. Bret Michaels wore just a LITTLE too much makeup and his hair was just a LITTLE too styled, at times, for my taste.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd much rather listen to Smashed Gladys or Madam X. Even though they weren't all chick bands they had female band members whose bands kicked far more *** than Vixen ever did.

I never heard of those groups before, but an extrmemly underrated, hardrocking group was Girlschool, they tore it up back then.

Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I prefer men who look like men, not girls...but I liked alot of those songs they did. Poison only did it in the very beginning, because when they did the video for "Every Rose has a thorn" I don't remember Bret Michaels having all that make up on. I liked Winger in the 80's. I liked Def Leppard. I didn't like the looks of AC/DC, but I liked some of their music.

I love in the movie Pee Wee's Big Adventure, the scene where Twister Sister is filming the video...that was the best song they ever did.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with ya on the Twisted Sister thing Isis...
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
"Burn In Hell" although I beg to differ: "The Price" was the best song they ever did.
Richie
Master Rewinder
Member # 3527

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Richie   Email Richie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It never really mattered to me about the whole makeup thing on a band until it got a wee bot out of control. Motley, TS, early KISS, Poison, and Warrant, for them, it was part of 'the image' and whatever. But I freaked when the bands actually started looking like females. The two that wore so much makeup and did the whole teasing the hair almost too much that come to my mind right now are ENUFF ZNUFF and Pretty Boy Floyd. If it werent for their deep voices, they could pull the tranny roles pretty good if they wanted.
Posts: 248 | Registered: Nov 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a good topic Riptide! I think that it is a good idea to wear the makeup if you never wanted anyone to see who you really were. I am not quite sure of the appeal to it other than it was different. I remember watching Twisted Swister and Kiss videos and stuff. Did Kiss ever not wear the makeup??? If they did it would be totally odd because you wouldn't be able to tell who you were watching right off.
Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrashesParties n TheValley
Rewind Mobster
Member # 2903

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for CrashesParties n TheValley   Email CrashesParties n TheValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It really didn't bother me to see Male '80s Bands that wore make-up..

It was the 80s and that what it was all about then BIG HAIR & Lots Of MAKEUP [Smile]

Posts: 2221 | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
PRETTY BOY FLOYD just played by me. They are still around??? They sucked in the 8-0s and I'm sure they suck now.
Another one that sucked was TYGER TAILZ, worst "metal" album I ever heard.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home