iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Guns N Roses Rumors

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Guns N Roses Rumors
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have heard something along the lines of Slash leaving his current band Velvet Revolver and reuniting with Axl Rose. Has anyone else heard this? I also heard that Dave Navarro will be replacing Slash on the Velvet Revolver side. Slash made the comment that Chinese Democracy (the long awaited new G N R album) will come out this year. Of course that record was supposed to have came out 10 years ago but it's odd why Slash would say it unless he's making a snide comment about it. Noms said G N R were signed to play Download and I have heard they've been offered the headliner slot at Ozzfest this year. That would totally rule if it's true...
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louden Swain
Master Rewinder
Member # 3671

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Louden Swain   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Motley,

Some articles that may interest you from melodicrock.com (one of my favorite sites)

AXL'S GNR LOCK IN ANOTHER FESTIVAL APPEARANCE:
From: rockinrio-lisboa.sapo.pt/artigo.html?id=644730〈=en.
"It's confirmed: Guns n' Roses are coming to Rock in Rio-Lisboa to headline the 2nd day, May 27th. And with this confirmation, all World Stage headliners are now known.
The Axl Rose led band is responding to the thousands of fans who asked the band to come through the official site of the event. This promises to be another memorable day for all who will come to the Bela Vista Park and more in specific for all those who have been waiting for the day that Guns would come.
Guns n' Roses was the most requested band by the official site users, amongst all bands, by all fans, whether Portuguese or international. It is expected that many international fans will travel to Lisbon to be there to hear the material on the new album Chinese Democracy for the first time live.
In an interview with the American magazine Rolling Stone in January of this year, Axl Rose confirmed that this long awaited Guns n' Roses album was 'very complex' and that it would be a surprise for all the fans.
Axl followed that by saying that he was 'trying something different' and that certain arrangements would be very different from what the fans were expecting and probably closer to the sound of Queen. Better, There Was A Time and The Blues are some of the titles of in total 26 new songs.
In 2001, the new version of Guns n' Roses performed at the third edition of Rock in Rio. More than 200.000 fans witnessed the return of Guns n' Roses, after 7 years away from the stage.
Axl Rose introduced the new band during a show of more than two hours, which was considered to be the best of the entire event. Today, 5 years later, the show of Guns n' Roses at the City of Rock promises to be a historic one, both for Rock in Rio and for Portugal."

and from another article

COULD THE ILLUSION ERA GUNS N ROSES LINE-UP REALLY RETURN?:
Is the impossible actually being considered? Rumors of a Guns N Roses re-union appear to be gathering strength. It all started at British photographer/journalist Ross Halfin's website when he stated that the original Guns N' Roses lineup would get back together in June to play at the Download Festival in England, with Metallica also lined up to play.
That comment was soon withdrawn. Posted was: "I have to write some copy this weekend on Guns 'N Roses for a feature to go with my photos. My mind is blank at the moment. The thing is if you tell the truth it sets off too many wars, or egos way out of control. The original line-up is supposed to play Download in June with their metal chums, Metallica, if Lars can be bothered to turn up."
Now this - on the official Cult message board, frontman Ian Astbury has responded to a post asking after the possible 2006 touring line-up for The Cult. His response: "I love Matt he is a sweetheart..........Velvet Revolver Guns and Roses rumoured return W/SLASH and AXL .......Hey the Cult can barly contain Billy and Myself......But we will have a ****HOT band for you so patience please."
So Use Your Illusion drummer Matt Sorum appears too busy for Cult duties it seems! Whether this will happen, if it will be a one-off performance or where this will leave the Chinese Democracy release and new Velvet Revolver releases are all questions to be answered in the coming weeks.

Posts: 245 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks...
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They were supposed to play around here (NY) a few years back and my sister was bugging me to order tickets. I sid I didnt have enough faith in Axl. Sure enough, after his usual b.s. antics most of the shows were called off.
From what I heard of the Chinese Democracy album it's pretty crappy. I'll just stick to playing APPETITE and ILLUSION I & II.

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eightieschick
Rewind Guru
Member # 4385

- posted      Profile for eightieschick   Email eightieschick       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw the "new" GnR back then mamamia, and it was a good show, but the first two songs sucked cuz you couldn't hear Axl. And he did pull his B.S. antics here- I think they forced him to go on stage. They had an opener, who was some idiot D.J. Then we just sat there for 2-3 hours. My husband got up to go to the restroom, and he comes back and says "I don't think there's going to be a show" because there were police lined up around the arena with riot gear and dogs. But the police must have forced Axl to get on stage, because 10 minutes later, GnR started. It was a bizarre show- Buckethead anyone? And the bass player was really freaky looking too. I don't even know who any of the other band members were. They did play 2 songs from Chinese Democracy, I remember one of them was title Madagascar. The new songs were alright, but who knows what he's putting on the new album, since I heard they have at least 36 songs recorded. Dizzy Reed discussed it over at metalsludge.com if you want to read his interview.
Posts: 713 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eightieschick
Rewind Guru
Member # 4385

- posted      Profile for eightieschick   Email eightieschick       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I forgot to add that I did see the original GnR back in the day, twice.
Posts: 713 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've enver seen them live because a group of my friends went to a show in the 80s where Axl pitched a fit. For the love of God, act like a professional man!

(Another reason I didnt want to get tickets a few years back was I didnt feel they were being honest about what the name Guns N Roses entailed. They should have called themselves "Axl and four other guys".

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

or "The Axl Rose Band." IMO G N R will never be GNR again until they at least get Slash back...
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
absolutely agree with you on that one Motley
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The new GnR will get no love from me, Axl is as twisted a character as there ever was in rock history, he's the Howard Hughes of rock IMO. I just find the GnR story too frustrating for words, I had the misfortune of seeing them once, for only five songs at the infamous riot concert at Olympic Stadium in Montreal, 1992. Too make matters worse, I heard that current GnR bassist Tommy Stinson(?), even had to refuse a reunion with his old band the Replacements because of Axl's shenanigans. I would have loved to have seen that reunion instead of this bloated Axl band nonsense. Chinese Democracy is a joke, how many years can they jerk the fans and even the original Gunners?
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

I got to see them in Roanoake, VA back on their 92-93 tour with Blind Melon. It was quite a show. It must have been one of Axl's good days because they put on an awesome show then...
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
they always say that either Axl is a jerk in concert or he's totally amazing. either way he always makes it memorable.
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joker
Master Rewinder
Member # 3840

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for joker   Email joker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i dont know about these roumers i realy dont know if this will happen or not but thair are a lot strange quencidencs going on as of late the cult getting back togheter with matt sourm no drum player for velvet revolver than a couple of days be for last new years eve thair was a listing for an august 18th 2006 vh1 sponcerd velvet revolver concert in atlantic city new jersey witch has sence bin cancled i have also heard of the orignal line up with steve adler back in the band roumers hear is what makes me think that thair are nothing to these roumers steve adler told rolling stone magizne that axl rose was a no good a hole although if guns n roses wanted to prove me rong and get back to gethger by all means go ahead and do it
Posts: 307 | Registered: Feb 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

My prediction: Guns N Roses with Slash will be at Ozzfest (I hope so anyways)...
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
Well that would be cool, wouldnt it? Then at least if they refused to play someone else could come out and play!
AnGeLEyeZ
Master Rewinder
Member # 4595

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for AnGeLEyeZ   Email AnGeLEyeZ   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Frown] *cries*
my fave band ever and i never got to see them once....at this point id probably drive miles to see them but i doubt theyll ever be around here...man i would love if all the original members were back together!

Posts: 192 | From: NJ JerzShoreBaby! | Registered: Feb 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louden Swain
Master Rewinder
Member # 3671

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Louden Swain   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This may answer a few questions. Doesn't look good!
From melodicrock.com

AXL FILES COUNTER CLAIM AGAINST GNR ORIGINALS:
The following is a new press release from the office of Guns N Roses frontman Axl Rose's lawyer. There have been a couple of different versions of this floating around with additional text, but I'm told this is the official and correct statement in its entirety:
LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--March 6, 2006--W. Axl Rose, on Friday March 3, 2006 responded to one of Saul "Slash" Hudson's baseless lawsuits by filing a counterclaim asking the Federal Court to confirm his ownership of his own creative works. Slash and Michael "Duff" McKagan had previously filed cases both in Federal Court and in the Los Angeles Superior Court making numerous false allegations about Axl. Mr. Rose believes that once apprised of the true facts the Judge or Jury deciding these lawsuits will rule in Axl's favor on every issue before them.
More surprising to Axl are recent media reports that Slash (Saul Hudson) is claiming that he has always been supportive of Axl Rose and the new Guns N' Roses. Slash's actions in recent years have in fact been anything but supportive. Besides the lawsuits filed against Axl Rose, claiming, among other things, that Axl does not own the copyright in the songs that Axl co-authored with his former Guns N' Roses band mates, Slash has continually made negative and malicious statements about Axl in order to garner publicity for himself.
As an example the Federal lawsuit Hudson and McKagan filed was based on a faulty premise from the start. What Hudson and McKagan attempted to portray as egregious misconduct by Axl was in fact -- as Slash and Duff have learned -- nothing more than a clerical error committed by ASCAP. Had Slash and Duff or their representatives bothered to pick up the phone the clerical error could have been easily sorted out without the need for filing an utterly baseless lawsuit which one can only assume had been filed for the purposes of self-publicity at Axl's expense.
The lawsuit also attacks Axl's integrity as Slash and Duff, in a vindictive attempt to aggrandize their own stature, re-write history through false statements, which have been repeated by the media. Their attacks on Axl stand in sharp contrast to Rose's conduct. Axl has at all times worked diligently to maintain the artistic integrity of the band by choosing with great care which properties to license Guns N' Roses songs to and refusing to participate in what he believed were potentially embarrassing projects. He has fought to avoid the release of material that does not live up to the highest of standards demanded by the band's history and it's followers. Axl chose not to respond through the media while taking the high road in the face of Slash and Duff's attacks. Hudson and McKagan, by contrast, have told ever changing - and false - stories regarding the formation of the band and it's history and believe that the band's catalogue should be exploited without careful consideration - for the Guns N' Roses brand and their loyal audience - or Axl's input as if it were fast food by anyone willing to pay for it.
For over 10 years Slash, a consummate press, photo and media opportunist and manipulator, has attacked Axl Rose on a number of levels. Slash's actions whether in or out of Gun's N' Roses have been a complete betrayal across the board of his alleged friendship and business relationship with Axl and the so called brotherhood and band loyalties that are supposed to have existed. Instead Slash has publicly attempted, by soliciting public and media support, to take credit for something that was not his or anyone else's to take, notwithstanding that Slash played a major part in the success of the band as Axl has continually acknowledged.
Mr. Rose's attorney Howard Weitzman commented, "Axl regrets having to spend time and energy on these distractions but he has a responsibility to protect the Guns N' Roses legacy and expose the truth. Axl believes he has been left with no alternative but to respond to these lawsuits. It would have been Axl's preference to resolve disputes with Slash and Duff in private. The courthouse is not his choice of forum. However, Axl could no longer sit quietly and allow the continuing dissemination of falsehoods and half-truths by his former band-mates."

Posts: 245 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

Damn did Axl Rose write that article? Whoever did makes out like the band's problems was anyone but Axl's fault...
AnGeLEyeZ
Master Rewinder
Member # 4595

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for AnGeLEyeZ   Email AnGeLEyeZ   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so any word on when the album might come out?
Posts: 192 | From: NJ JerzShoreBaby! | Registered: Feb 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louden Swain
Master Rewinder
Member # 3671

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by MotleyRulz:
Damn did Axl Rose write that article? Whoever did makes out like the band's problems was anyone but Axl's fault...

His lawyer did.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home