iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now
Canyoudigit The Sequel
Master Rewinder
Member # 4506

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Canyoudigit The Sequel   Email Canyoudigit The Sequel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't have an 80's music thread without talking about the greatest band in the World, ladies and gentleman I give you:-

THE SMITHS.

Discuss.

Posts: 109 | From: Bopping my way back to Coney! | Registered: Jan 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love The Smiths. I always wondered what it would be like if they ever got together and made an album again. I always listened to them when I was upset because there was always a song that I could connect with. Maybe one day Morrissey and Johnny will get along again and continue to make there great music.

p.s.
There is a light that never goes out....

Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Ask. One of the great songs that I listen to when I am driving. Great group, but sometimes real smith fanatics try to shove it down your throat. Totally unnecessary.

WE are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smiths were good but the Cure was better.
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louden Swain
Master Rewinder
Member # 3671

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Louden Swain   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smiths Rule......still love the Cure though

Fav. Smith songs:

Reel Around The Fountain
Girl Afraid
Sweet and Tender Hooligan
Shakespeare's Sister
Barbarism Begins at Home
The Headmaster Ritual
A Rush and A Push and The Land Is Ours
Unhappy Birthday
Bigmouth Strikes Again
Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others
The Queen is Dead (Take Me Back to Dear Old Blightly)
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
Ask

Sorry, got a little carried away... [Big Grin]

Posts: 245 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Smiths weren't even around that long 83-87 to be exact, but boy did they make up for it with four solid albums and countless singles with some amazing covers. I mean Hatful of Hollow which is just an odds and sods collection is better than most groups main albums. Morrissey's lyrics were genius, he just seemed to fire on a lot of cylinders for a generation decimated by the bleak Thatcher era and all the betrayal they felt. Marr became one of the best creative guitarists with his mastery of chiming chords and impossibly jangly riffs. There was no one like them when they arrived on the scene, they were a reaction to the new wave synth era, a rock scene where rich rock stars paraded in yachts and glitzy clothes. With 1986's the Queen is Dead, they were untouchable, but they always seemed to be a volatile group within. If you ever want to read a reall good book as to what happened to Marr and Morrissey, then read Johnny Rogan's The Severed Alliance. A real good book that talks about the tensions, such as never having a stable, long term manager, the pressure on Marr to do the lion's work of the albums and Morrisey's eccentricities.

It would

Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Riptide, I'll have to check that book out.
Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Canyoudigit The Sequel
Master Rewinder
Member # 4506

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Canyoudigit The Sequel   Email Canyoudigit The Sequel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Riptide hasn't left me much to say, you fountain of all music knowledge you.

For me, the way Morrissey wore his heart on his sleeve had a huge impact on me. His lyrics were relevent, poetic, humorous and heartbreakingly honest. He helped me get in touch with my own emotions as a then typical 'I'm all right about everything' male. Only Ray Davis and David Gedge have had similar sort of impact.

Here's what I consider his masterpieces of poetic prose:-

Back To The Old House
This Night Has Opened My Eyes
I don't Owe You Anything
Reel Around The Fountain
I know It's Over
There is A Light That Never Goes Out
Well I wonder

[ 26. February 2006, 09:27: Message edited by: Canyoudigit The Sequel ]

Posts: 109 | From: Bopping my way back to Coney! | Registered: Jan 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Morrissey really put on a clinic with lyrics didn't he? Actually he is still doing it with his solo work. Je's just such a romantic at heart, even the bleak stuff makes me feel better. The pain of adolescence, the hypocrisy of royalty, diatribes of the unloved, he said it all.

I just got back from seeing an amazing concert by a Smiths influenced group, Belle and Sebastian. They put on a really good show, Stuart Murdoch's lyrics are very descriptive like Morrisey's and I just love reading them.

A lotof people say that the Queen is Dead is their masterpiece, I thought so too, but the past few years I am inclined to think it might be Strangeways Here we Come.

Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If morrisey ever starts taking Prozac it will all be over!

THE SMITHS is one of those bands I like that absolutely NONE of my friends listen to. It's one of those cds that I blast when I'm alone in my house and sing and dance along to. I like to play it when Im cleaning the house too.

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home