iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Red Hot Chili Peppers vs. Jane's Addiction

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Red Hot Chili Peppers vs. Jane's Addiction
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anybody big fans of these groups? It's hard to believe but while their biggest selling records did come out in the 90's, the Red Hot Chili Peppers actually started in the early 80's, and Jane's Addiction was about 1986. Along with other cutting edge bands like Fishbone and Urban Dance Squad, these great two groups really were ahead of their time in my opinion. I mean Jane's Addiction guitarist Dave Navarro was in both bands at one point. Red Hot Chili Peppers did have more records out compared to Jane's Addiction.

It's a tough call, but if I had to take one band it would probably be Red Hot Chili Peppers whose Mother's Milk and Uplift Mofo party plan albums I still play and remind me of high school and how different they were. There would have been no Faith No More w/o the RHCP in my opinion.

Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chili Peppers all the way. I never really got Janes Addiction that much. Granted they had a few songs I liked but on a song to song basis I think RHCP were head and shoulders greater than Jane's Addiction. No denying Navarros work or Farell's skills at a front man but I'll take Kiedis and Flea any day. Next to Les Claypool I believe Flea is the best bassist out there. The guy can truly get the funk grooves.
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll go with the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Believe it or not, they made one of their first appearances as a group in the Kirk Douglas/Burt Lancaster movie "Tough Guys". In one sequence they're performing while Douglas and Darlanne Fluegel are dancing with a very colorful assortment of mid-80s clubgoers.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

I wish that they would release "Tough Guys" on DVD.

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tough Guys not on DVD? I'm surprised. That's crying for a release. I think the Chilis were in Point Break as well if I recall. I mean Flea was acting in the 80's punk movie Suburbia around 82-83 and Kiedis did get some film roles as a child actor, I think he was in a movie with Stallone in the late 70's. But man, what an awesome party band they were, I mean the LA Sunset Strip was all about the metal, but it was nice to see some funky brothers making music. Always liked that True Men don't Kill Coyotes stuff.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chili Peppers all the way! To me, their songs have more meaning plus they put on alot better show than Jane's Addiction. I like the song Fight Like a Brave which wasn't as popular as many of their other singles...
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flea was also in Back to the Future Part 2 if I am not mistaking. And I remember Anthony as being one of the stoners in the house when Keanu and Busey busted them. Anthony was also in the scene where the group of surfers ganged up on Keanu for stealing their surfing space...
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louden Swain
Master Rewinder
Member # 3671

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Louden Swain   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're right about Flea being in BTTF II, Motley. I happened to tape that show for my daughter last night/early Sunday a.m. on TBS and on the credits, Flea was listed!
Posts: 245 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
Flea also played a punker in the gem of a road movie in Dudes (1987).
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
I also recall Bill and Ted's Alex Winter being in the Chili Peppers Higher Ground video. I think I brough this topic up partly because I bought a RHCP autobiog recently, I also bought kiedis's autibiog as well. And just today I reserved a copy of Jane's Addiction's autobiog. These two bands were friends in the 80's, even did shows together. I just wish that when Navarro joined the RHCP for that album One Hot Minute that it could have been better, he just didn't fit in as well as John Frusciante and the late Hillel Slovak.
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Riptide:
Flea also played a punker in the gem of a road movie in Dudes (1987).

i was just going to post this very same thing
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
Wow I just had a six degrees moment, I watched a River's edge last night, and the murderer was Daniel Roebuck, who was also one of the the three punk guys with Flea and Jon Cryer, and Keanu Reeves was in River's Edge with Ione Skye who also was Kiedis's girlfriend for a while in the late 80's, and Keanu also was in Point break with Kiedis and Flea. Were Flea and Kiedis in My own Private idaho with Reaves as well?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home