iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Sony CD Corruption

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sony CD Corruption
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on a website that was telling people to boycott sony because they were making CD's that would corrupt windows and mac's. Has anyone else heard of this?
Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have heard of this, there is a consumer grievance/lawsuit being filed as because of this. I don't know the entire details, but you can't play it on your computer, and threr will be damage and spyware inflicted to your computer. It's getting nasty.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Mouse Avenger
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4406

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Mouse Avenger   Author's Homepage   Email The Mouse Avenger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't worry, it shouldn't last long. [Smile]
Posts: 1057 | From: With my mouse pals on Baker Street | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can I coin the term "e-vandal"?
Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Mouse Avenger
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4406

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Mouse Avenger   Author's Homepage   Email The Mouse Avenger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seems appropriate.
Posts: 1057 | From: With my mouse pals on Baker Street | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boy what a mess this is going to be. Can you imagine if you are the victim of trying to listen to one of your CD's and it ruining your computer! Yikes!
Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had heard something about this and saw a list of specific CD's that caused it. It is supposedly to deter copying the CD I think. I will look for the story and post the link to it...
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a link to a partial list of the CD's. The only one of them I had was the Trey Anastasio one. Thank goodness I didn't put it in my computer....

http://www.boingboing.net/2005/11/09/list_of_cds_infected.html

Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Mouse Avenger
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4406

Member Rated:
At least the list doesn't have "SST" by Prince on there... [Smile]
SiskoBell
Senior Rewinder
Member # 4330

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for SiskoBell   Email SiskoBell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah Jessie, I've been following the Sony situation too. I think it's crappy what they did, but I suppose it's to be expected from a mega-multinational corporation like Sony. I just wonder what other companies have taken similar actions.

Thanks to a whistleblower, it recently came to light that Cisco Corp. (they make much of the hardware that runs the Internet, for those who don't know) covered up a bug in their equipment that posed a serious security risk to the Internet infrastrcuture. Of course they tried to silence him.

In this day and age, the consumer simply has to be more aware and less trusting of what corporations are doing.

Posts: 55 | From: Chicago | Registered: Oct 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home