iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » My Hometown-Bruce Springsteen

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My Hometown-Bruce Springsteen
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The other night this song played on the radio, and I was waiting for my husband and son to get out of Blockbusters, and I really got goosebumps listening to the words...I don't remember paying as much attention to it in the 80's, cause I lived in my hometown...and never thought about leaving it then...so it didn't have the effect on me as it did now, and I thought.. boy ,is it a well written song:

I was eight years old and running with a dime in my hand
Into the bus stop to pick up a paper for my old man
I'd sit on his lap in that big old Buick and steer as we drove through town
He'd tousle my hair and say son take a good look around this is your hometown
This is your hometown
This is your hometown
This is your hometown

In '65 tension was running high at my high school
There was a lot of fights between the black and white
There was nothing you could do
Two cars at a light on a Saturday night in the back seat there was a gun
Words were passed in a shotgun blast
Troubled times had come to my hometown
My hometown
My hometown
My hometown

Now Main Street's whitewashed windows and vacant stores
Seems like there ain't nobody wants to come down here no more
They're closing down the textile mill across the railroad tracks
Foreman says these jobs are going boys and they ain't coming back to your hometown
Your hometown
Your hometown
Your hometown

Last night me and Kate we laid in bed
talking about getting out
Packing up our bags maybe heading south
I'm thirty-five we got a boy of our own now
Last night I sat him up behind the wheel and said son take a good look around
This is your hometown

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

I never really got into Bruce, that might be because I considered some of his songs boring.

On an interesting side note:
Isis, Congratulations! You are really a parent, you pluralize store names (Blockbusters). My parents say things like "Kmarts" and "Costcos"

WE are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devo, that is so funny because it's exactly like that here where I live...My Mom and I always joke about going to Wal-Marts or Bon-Tons [Smile] ! I thought it was a PA thing, apparently not. You gotta love it!
Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I listen to it, it sounds like the foreman's saying the jobs are going "north." Regardless, too true, even today 20 years later. Combine this with "Born in the U.S.A.'s" "things are going bad for us Vietnam veterans" message, and you've got one heck of a politcal statement from Springsteen (who's still bitingly liberal today). One is thus left rather surprised that Reagan misinterpreted it as being rah rah.
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never could get into Bruce either. Thought he was an overrated musician....
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Tia
Master Rewinder
Member # 4374

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mr. Tia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yup, not a big boss fan.
Posts: 201 | From: Witch Mountain | Registered: Oct 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually I am no big Bruce fan either...infact I never really even liked this song back when it was out, or any other Bruce song...but when I heard it the other night...the words to the song really effected me...I think of my hometown just about every day...my mom was born there and never lived anywhere else (except for when she went to college)...but after that she went back home, and I grew up there, my grandparents grew up there. My great grandfather owned almost the whole entire street I grew up on ....at one time, and the house I lived in, he built it, and there were 3 other houses on the alley way off the main road that I lived on, and my family had owned all of them at one time, and my Grandfather built another one of the houses on that street. So, generations of my family are connected to that town...and sometimes I think it would have been cool to have raised my son there too....that's why when I was listening to this song...it was bumming me out.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home