iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Popular 80s songs you just couldn't stand.. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Popular 80s songs you just couldn't stand..
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i love 80s music in general and like a wide variety of genres from that era, but there were some songs that were extremely popular, that i never liked, and still don't. just to name a few....

frankie goes to hollywood - relax
this song never did anything for me and 'til this day i hardly know any of the words, and oh my god it seems to go on and on..

power station - some like it hot
everytime i hear this song, i always picture rusty griswold on his european tour surrounded by punk rocker dancers.

simple minds - don't you (forget about me)
BIG HIT, from a big movie, very played-out and i hear it way too often.

most bangels songs, and go-gos songs i don't care for either, except 'vacation' and both groups had a string of hits.

what about you guys?

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely Sussudio(sp) by Phil Collins
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Canyoudigit.
Rewind Guru
Member # 2703

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Canyoudigit.   Email Canyoudigit.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of the throw away pop i can't stand these days. Great in the films but i just can't listen to any of it for pleasure.

Duran Duran
Culture Club
etc etc etc

Posts: 515 | From: Protector of the 80's Ladies. | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sam Hain 666:
Definitely Sussudio(sp) by Phil Collins

same here, sam.

another one i just thought of...FAITH by george michael.

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Physical" Olivia Newton-John comes to mind.

"Celebration" Kool & The Gang

"Mr Roboto" Styx

Ronnie & Sam I totally agree on "Relax" & "Sussudio". I like Phil Collins "In The Air Tonight" though.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked Relax

i agree In the Air Tonight is awesome

Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Venus-Bananarama

I never liked that song! Ugh!

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

i am with you, cindy.
AND VENUS WAS HER NAME...RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!

[Roll Eyes] no.

Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Now we are talking my language...

Mickey, Toni Basil makes me vomit

Unfortunately college made me able to listen to Come on Eileen once a year

What I like about you - the Romantics (yuck)

There are so many more.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rhodes
Ace Rewinder
Member # 3293

- posted      Profile for rhodes   Email rhodes       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this song never did anything for me and 'til this day i hardly know any of the words, and oh my god it seems to go on and on..
quote:

"Relax"

Oh oh
Wee-ell-Now!

Relax don't do it
When you want to go to it
Relax don't do it
When you want to come
Relax don't do it
When you want to come
When you want to come

Relax don't do it
When you want to to go to it
Relax don't do it
When you want to come
Relax don't do it
When you want to suck to it
Relax don't do it
When you want to come
Come-oh oh oh

But shoot it in the right direction
Make making it your intention-ooh yeah
Live those dreams
Scheme those schemes
Got to hit me
Hit me
Hit me with those laser beams

I'm coming
I'm coming-yeah

Relax don't do it
When you want to go to it
Relax don't do it
When you want to come

Relax don't do it
When you want to suck to it
Relax don't do it (love)
When you want to come
When you want to come
When you want to come
Come-huh

Get it up
The scene of love
Oh feel it

Relax
Higher higher

Hey-
Pray

CAPTAIN RHODES [Big Grin]

Posts: 434 | From: nevada | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Futures so Bright I Gotta Wear Shades by TIMBUK 3
I have NEVER liked that f***in' song!!!!!

Wild Wild West by (anyone????) annoys me too.

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
..............ESCAPE CLUB.
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Bette Davis Eyes" by Kim Carnes. It's not that bad a song, but back in 1981, the radio stations constantly played it every 30 minutes or so. It drove me crazy! [Mad]

I agree with ValleyCat on Kool & The Gang's "Celebration".

"We Don't Have To Take Our Clothes Off" by Jermaine Stewart. YECCCHHH!! [Eek!]

"Bruce" by Rick Springfield. Springsteen should sue that bozo!

I'm sure there's a lot more though! [Big Grin]

[ 13. December 2004, 11:36: Message edited by: StevenHW ]

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Five simple words - a lifetime of nails-down-blackboard moments:

Men At Work - Down Under

The only time I've ever picked a record off a turntable and snapped it in half.....

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh this is a good topic. I couldn't stand Kyria (sp) and that one song by Mike and the Mechanics--In the Living Years. They just drove me crazy. I also wasn't a fan of Sledgehammer by Peter Gabriel. Maybe it was the video that made me kind of sick.
Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

jess, do you mean KYRIE by mr. mister? i like that one, but cannot stand their other hit, BROKEN WINGS.
Canyoudigit.
Rewind Guru
Member # 2703

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Canyoudigit.   Email Canyoudigit.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoever wrote the song 'So Macho' needs their finger nails ripping out from the roots. [Mad]
Posts: 515 | From: Protector of the 80's Ladies. | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deathbystereo80
Rewind Guru
Member # 2005

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for deathbystereo80   Email deathbystereo80   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I absolutely can't stand Tainted Love. I can't even remember whether I used to like it in the 80s - it's just totally overplayed on the radio here.

One song I used to love in high school was Come on Eileen, but I hate it now - same reason as above.

I agree with you Ronnie about Some like it Hot, makes me sick.

Another one I absolutely hate is the song White Horse by Laid Back (I think). Urgh.

Posts: 562 | From: Santa Carla | Registered: Oct 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horned King
Rewind Maestro
Member # 2691

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Horned King   Author's Homepage   Email The Horned King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KATRINA AND THE WAVES:
" I'm walkin' on suunshiine, WHOAH-OH-OH-OHH! And DON'T it FEEEL GOOOD!? "

NO!

NO, IT DON'T!

Posts: 974 | From: Mel's Diner | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

quote:
Originally posted by Devolution:
Devolution here,

Now we are talking my language...

What I like about you - the Romantics (yuck)

We are DEVO

haaaated it!
Bamersy
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8808

14 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bamersy   Email Bamersy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spandau Ballet-True
Tear For Fears-Shout
Rock Me Amadeus-Falco
Safety Dance-Men Without Hats
I Wanna Be a Cowboy-Boys Don't Cry

Posts: 452 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2010 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
The Dread Pirate Rewind....
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
id have to agree with all of the above really with a couple of exceptions.
I really couldnt stand that song by fairground attraction in 88 i think it was. And i simply bleed from my ears when i hear anything at all by peter gabrial, enya, madness, ub40, simply red, the bangles, cher, springst, and yeah im gonna say it, spandau b - hated his voice.

Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thomas Dolby - She Blinded me with Science

GAAAHHH!!!..that song just irritates me to no end!!

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
The Dread Pirate Rewind....
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pyromantic:
Thomas Dolby - She Blinded me with Science

GAAAHHH!!!..that song just irritates me to no end!!

yep, that song sux big time alright - why oh why lord do you do this to us?????????? ahhhhh
Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would also like to add anything by "Bananarama"...especially that damn "I'm your Venus" song...that song instantly makes me wanna take a rifle to a belltower everytime I hear it:\
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home