iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Soundtrack of your life in 10 songs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Soundtrack of your life in 10 songs
Hordak
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1772

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Hordak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure if this has been done before??

Here's the thread to post those 10 songs/tracks that've acted as major milestones in either life generally, or as far as taste in music goes, or both, for whatever reason. Obviously it should contain several pre-'90s tracks as befits this board, but don't worry if it spills over into the last 15 years, or if there's loads of obscure stuff no-one here has heard of - that's part of the fun! (Hell, has anyone here heard, even heard of, more than one of my last four?!? [Cool] )

Comments with each track if possible, here goes mine in chronological order...

ABBA - Dancing Queen - Number 1 the week I was born (September '76). Still does it for me in a cheesy retro kinda way. I feel proud. Honestly.

Meat Loaf - Modern Girl - First music video I ever saw (circa mid '80s?). Had the Meat and a bunch of bikers riding through a supermarket trashing everything, great stuff and textbook poodle rock!

Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up - Song that finally got me properly into pop during summer '87 (age 10/11). Cue two years of taping Top 40 every weekend, 'till those mega-annoying New Skids On The Block appeared and ruined it all, at which point I promptly tuned out. Undoubtedly a cheeser, but in a good way! [Embarrassed]

M/A/R/R/S - Pump Up The Volume - At the time ('87) this sounded so controversial, obviously breaking multiple copyright laws. Great hip hop influences. Inspired an appreciation of other commercial house stuff like Krush, Jack N' Chill, Coldcut etc.

Iron Maiden - Can I Play With Madness - First taste of heavy metal ('88). Funny video. Got into their music in a big way few years later, and they remain my all-time fave band!

Napalm Death - I Abstain - Most headf*ck thing I'd ever heard at the time ('92); very nearly still is to this day. Never would've gotten into bands like Sepultura, Obituary, Carcass in a million years had I not caught this first. Extreme metal in its purest form.

Pure White - 4am - Heard this emanating from my younger brother's bedroom radio back in '93, and was totally blown away; decided this 'car alarm music' (i.e. hardcore rave) might be worth getting into afterall... [Big Grin] *CRUCIAL* turn of events!

Xenophobia - Project 250 - Soooooo much more manic than likes of 2 Unlimited and Technotronic, I had to laugh! "There's really techno music like this?!?"
Big personal fave from '93 to present.

Jamiroquai - Stillness In Time (Vinyl Version) - Song that finally got me back into pop during summer '95 (for another couple of years at least). Extended edition as featured on his then-Greatest Hits CD single; an undeniably flawless slice of melodic jazz-funk.

Dougal & Mickey Skeedale - On A High - Got me into the emerging English happy hardcore kickdrum sound during early '96, following 18 months of no pirate radio (RIP Exile FM [Frown] ). Like Pure White and Xenophobia, still a huge underground favourite.

Posts: 97 | From: Midlands, UK | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Mouse Avenger
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4406

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Mouse Avenger   Author's Homepage   Email The Mouse Avenger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. "Purple Rain" (I bought the album on a trip to Mexico with my grandma)

2. "Let Me Be Good To You" from "The Great Mouse Detective" (I sang this at a talent show...& got a standing ovation! [Big Grin] )

3. "A Whole New World" from "Aladdin"

4. "Jungle Love" by The Time (I remember hearing this on the radio as a kid)

5. "Somewhere Out There" from "An American Tale" (one of my favorite songs from '86)

6. "Kiss" by Prince (I sang this with my mom in the car on a trip during Christmas)

7. "1999" (the very first Prince song I ever heard... [Big Grin] )

8. "The Great Mouse Detective Main Theme" by Henry Mancini (sums up my love for a certain Disney movie)

9. "I Want A New Drug" by Huey Lewis (loved this as a little kid)

10. "Call Me" by Blondie (I absolutely loved to sing this while driving with my mom on Sundays!)

Posts: 1057 | From: With my mouse pals on Baker Street | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fantastic topic! I'm at work right now but will give it serious thought and post when I get home.
Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This took a lot (!) of thought and soul searching. Some choices were easy, some not so.

"Money Money Money", Abba . An early introduction to pop/dance, and I still love ABBA.

"Come on Eileen", Dexy's Midnight Runners . My brother and I would go crazy whenever this played on the radio, or on Hey Hey it's Saturday (they played it a lot on that show).

"Manic Monday", The Bangles . This was the first time I liked a song and a band enough to actually buy an album. I still have my copy of the "Different Light" album on cassette in my car. It also served as my first introduction to the concept of Top 40, and eventually my recording of every week of Top 10 songs (starting May 1988).

"Toy Soldiers", Martika . The first time I realised pop songs could be about serious matters. This song had such a major impact on me, I played it over and over again.

"Hope of Deliverance", Paul McCartney . Not on my favorite songs, but it was playing on the radio in the car as we left the church service to the cemetry for my grandfather's burial. It was the first time I had experienced the death of a family member.

"Bust a move", Young MC . The first rap song I ever liked. I had very narrow tastes for a while back there. I didn't like rap, I didn't like a lot of guitars. I was pure pop all the way. Thankfully, I adapted!

"Red Paint", Nenah Cherry . An album track off "Homebrew", this is one of the few songs that makes me cry every time I hear it - "Open minded. The thoughts are clear
From feeling regardless. Heart beats
With pain
You were oh so happy just the other day
Now heartbeats with pain took it all away"

"Happy Town", Jill Sobule . I was a fan of Jill Sobule before I was diagnosed with depression, so now her lyrics are even more special to me, as she also lives with it. At first I though the lyrics to this song were kind of funny, but now I understand their real meaning about living on anti depressants -
"To get to Happy Town you can call your doctor
You can unscrew the child-proof bottle cap
Pour yourself a glass of water

I used to sit under a gloomy cloud of gray
And now the sun is shining and it won't go away"

"Weather Channel", Sheryl Crow . Another singer who lives with depression. This was off the "C'mon C'mon" album which I bough around the time I was first diagnosed. Sheryl was singing to me about feeling the exact way I was feeling at the time -
"It's just sugar
Just a pill to make me happy
I know it may not fix the hinges
But at least the door has stopped it's creaking
I got friends
They're waiting for me to comb out my hair
Come outside and join the human race
But I don't feel so human"

"Bring it all back", S Club 7 . I know, I know, don't laugh. But this is my happy song, that's guaranteed to cheer me up whenever I hear it. Who can resist it? It's so upbeat and cheerful, it just puts a smile on your face. Singing along always makes me feel fantastic!! -
"Don't stop, never give up
Hold your head high and reach the top
Let the world see what you have got
Bring it all back to you

Hold on to what you try to be
Your individuality
When the world is on your shoulders
Just smile and let it go
If people try to put you down
Just walk on by don't turn around
You only have to answer to yourself"

[ 19. November 2005, 22:52: Message edited by: Stitch ]

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I Love this top too.

It is going to be hard to limit it to 10.

Thie first song that ever really made an impact on me was:

Everything I Own-Bread, I remember after my dog died, I was only like 4 or 5 years old, I remember hearing that song and wishing anything to have my dog back with me again, cause she went everywhere with me, she got distemper and my mom had to have her put to sleep, I cried every time I heard that song.

Rocket Man-Elton John- I remember when my Grandma bought me a new stereo system and a record stand, and I would lay on my bed and listen to records, I didn't have many of my own, so I would listen to my Aunt's 45 records from the 60's and the 70's, and I ended up loving Rocket Man, and would play it over and over.

The Grease Soundtrack-I can't pick one song from it-cause I liked them all...but I remember loving the movie, playing with my friends, and we would dance and do the "Hand jive", and try and recreate the entire movie word for word with the Grease photonovel and the soundtrack.

The Rose-Better Midler..I remember it was my babysitter, Holly's, favorite song, and when my mom got through nursing school and got a nursing job, we had a babysitter all summer long, and I just loved her, she had the coolest friends, they all came to our house and went swimming, and she played that song over and over and I helped her clean the house while we listened to it.

All through the Night-Cyndi Lauper- I remember I had surgery at the beginning of November in 1985, and I had just started dating my first boyfriend,and couldn't see him for a week, so my cousin bought me this song on a 45 record, and I remember being so sick, and I just would let the song play over and over and over and be bummed out wishing I felt better so I could go hang with my friends.

Take Me With U-Prince-I remember the day after we all went to the Prom, me and my boyfriend, my cousin, and her boyfriend went down to my Uncle's to watch the video of us at the Prom, and then we watched Purple Rain on his big screen TV, and I loved it, and my Aunt bought me the album for Xmas that year, and she bought me 2 Prince buttons, and I pinned them on my purse. A different boyfriend that I had in the 80's, drove a Verigo motorcycle, and he looked a little like Prince, and I remember I would dress up in all black, and wear black high heeled boots, and black spandex, and his black leather jacket, and think I was an Apollonia wannabe.

Feelin that way-Journey- This song just reminds me of when I had my own apartment, and was young and single, and having lots of fun, I loved my job, and my life during this time...and I had a friend who gave me a cassette with this song on it, and I loved it, we listened to it all the time.

Because You Loved Me-Celine Dion- After my son was born ...was when this song came out, and I remember I thought of him when I heard it...and it would make me bawl, cause I would think about how much I loved my little baby I had, and how lucky I was to have him.

You're My Love-Aldo Nova-makes me think about a certain person who is very close to me, and I didn't know them when I first heard the song...but it is one of those songs that you realize that it was written in the past for you.. with the future in mind, because it sums up how you feel about someone, and you never knew it was ever going to, when you first heard it.

Photograph-Nickleback-because it sums up me, and how I miss my childhood so much, and miss people from my past, and it is the first song that is a current song, that I have actually liked.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Mouse Avenger
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4406

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Mouse Avenger   Author's Homepage   Email The Mouse Avenger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ISIS:
Take Me With U-Prince-I remember the day after we all went to the Prom, me and my boyfriend, my cousin, and her boyfriend went down to my Uncle's to watch the video of us at the Prom, and then we watched Purple Rain on his big screen TV, and I loved it, and my Aunt bought me the album for Xmas that year, and she bought me 2 Prince buttons, and I pinned them on my purse. A different boyfriend that I had in the 80's, drove a Verigo motorcycle, and he looked a little like Prince, and I remember I would dress up in all black, and wear black high heeled boots, and black spandex, and his black leather jacket, and think I was an Apollonia wannabe.

That is a VERY interesting story, there! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1057 | From: With my mouse pals on Baker Street | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks...after seeing how much you like Prince, I figured you might like it. [Wink] [Big Grin]
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Mouse Avenger
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4406

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by ISIS:
Thanks...after seeing how much you like Prince, I figured you might like it. [Wink] [Big Grin]

Well, you figured right! [Big Grin]
BabyLove19781999
Ace Rewinder
Member # 2336

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for BabyLove19781999   Email BabyLove19781999   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Childhood Soundtrack (1983-1997): Pre-Kindergarten through 12th Grade

Songs That Remind Me Of School and Friends

Very Depressing...

I was born in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, the capital. I lived there from 1978-1981.

Fort Lauderdale (1981-1986): Childcare through First Grade:

"Every Breath You Take" by The Police: This song makes me think about my friends from pre-kindergarten through first grade. Little did I know at the time that I would later be reunited with those people again in high school.

"Time After Time" by Cyndi Lauper: The story behind this song is the same story as the one above.

Ottawa (1986-1991): 2nd Grade through 6th Grade: The Best Years of My Life. I loved the big northeastern city life and I loved winter and my friends. I was so angry and depressed when my family decided to move back to Fort Lauderdale for good!

Ottawa (1986-1991)

"Don't Dream It's Over" by Crowded House
"Do You Remember" by Phil Collins
"Right Here Waiting" by Richard Marx
"Wind Beneath My Wings" by Bette Midler
"The End of the Innocence" by Don Henley
"Show Me The Way" by Styx
"Wind of Change" by The Scorpions
"Where Does My Heart Beat Now" by Celine Dion

Fort Lauderdale (1991-1997): 7th Grade through 12th Grade

"I Will Remember You" by Amy Grant
"This Used To Be My Playground" by Madonna
"It's So Hard To Say Good-bye to Yesterday" by Boyz II Men
"Ordinary World" by Duran Duran
"Regret" by New Order
"Name" by The Goo-Goo Dolls
"Everyone Is Free To Wear Sunscreen/Class of 1997" by Baz Luhrmann

I graduated from high school with 30 people that I had known since kindergarten, but I wasn't with them for all 14 years (pre-k through 12th grade). I was with them from pre-k through first grade and then 7th grade through 12th grade.

Sorry, I couldn't put just 10 songs.

These songs all fit on an 80 minute CD by the way.

[ 29. November 2005, 09:20: Message edited by: BabyLove19781999 ]

Posts: 371 | From: Ottawa & Fort Lauderdale | Registered: Feb 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home