iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Bauhaus

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bauhaus
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone like this band? They generally get credit for being the first Goth band when they released their first classic single Bela Lugosi's dead, but they had a bit more dynamics than just being some dark band. They broke up in 1983, the singer Peter Murphy went on to a solo career, and th rest of the guys were in Tones on Tail and Love and Rockets. Anyway, I have been a fan for a long time, and I finally saw them last night. An incredible show, they sounded just as good as their records, if not better. I was so shocked because you see bands from the 80's do reunion tours and they have to sing in a lower key, and look like they have lost a step. But not this group, they were really something, if anyone is remotley a fan, please don't hesitate to go see them if they play near you.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smayt Shatner
Rewind Shaft -Can u dig it?
Member # 1500

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Smayt Shatner   Email Smayt Shatner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey man,unfortunately BAUHAUS had already split by the time i got into them.I was big time diggin' the goth music scene.Bauhaus are still amazing to listen to now,Kick in The Eye is a fantastic song.Id be hard pushed to say what i think is the best studio album,but its gotta be between Mask and The Skys Gone Out.Of course the compilations are superb,but i was always a little dissapointed there was never a version of Rosegarden Funeral of Sores on any of the comps.At least not on any i found.Oh i can regularly be heard singin' softly to myself... ''all we ever wanted was everything''.
Fantastic.

Posts: 1201 | From: under everyone's bed...watching and waiting. | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duckie Dale Winton
Master Rewinder
Member # 3419

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Duckie Dale Winton   Author's Homepage   Email Duckie Dale Winton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent band - stylish and innovative.

......and they come from my own home town [Big Grin]

Posts: 242 | From: Northampton, England | Registered: Oct 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smayt, they played Kick in the Eye, plus tons of others. They even played Rosegarden Funerla of Sores too. The guitar sound from Daniel Ash was phenomenal, he is really underrated, I'm still in awe as to how good they were. A lot of people would know this band from the beginning of the movie the Hunger with David Bowie, where some victims were being disposed of while the song Bela was being played with an intense look from Peter Murphy. Mask is my favorite album of theirs, as for Rosegarden Funeral of Sores, this song can be found on the debut Cd In the Flat Field and a live version on the live album Press the Eject amd give me the tape. I wish they played All we Ever wanted, but I saw Peter Murphy played it at his solo show I saw two years ago.That song was really Bowieish. They made some incredible videos too. But there is a good chance there will be a new Bauhaus album coming out next year, so that should be exciting.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louden Swain
Master Rewinder
Member # 3671

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Louden Swain   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love Bauhaus....Love Peter Murphy solo even better!
Posts: 245 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
K, dummy here but who is this band?? What do they sing?
Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Illnero
Master Rewinder
Member # 4286

- posted      Profile for Illnero   Email Illnero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bela Lugosi's Dead.
Posts: 154 | From: between wash and spin | Registered: Aug 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
Bauhaus were never a hugely commerically successful band, probably their best known single after Bela was their cover of Bowie's Ziggy Stardust. The group became more popular after the broke up. Love and Rockets So Alive and Peter Murphy's Deep album eclipsed anything Bauhaus did commercially.
TresFoxy
Rewind Maestro
Member # 542

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TresFoxy   Email TresFoxy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok well when I read that it said Bauhaus I thought it might have been a thread about the German architect Walter Gropius who create the Bauhaus in Germany asa design school back in the 1940's but now I know it's a band!!! Sorry I have never heard of them:(
Posts: 808 | From: MI, USA | Registered: Feb 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
They originally called their band Bauhaus 1919 after the German art movement you described TF. They took off the 1919 moniker, but their black and white logo was directly lifted from a Bauhaus art school design.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home