iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » 50 Awesomly bad songs (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 50 Awesomly bad songs
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found this on the net, there are a few songs in there I'd consider bad, but I like most of them.

Awsomely bad songs

I can't believe what was number 1 - I LOVE that song!!!

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this was from SPIN magazine I believe, and then VH1 did a special on it. Yes, a few songs I really like made the list, and while #1 is not one of my favorites I dont hate it as much as the critics who compiled the list do.
My #1 worst song ever is Detachable Penis by KING MISSILE. (Followed by Muskrat Love by CAPTAIN & TENILLE.

To see my list of Terrible Tunes visit my site at http://mysite.verizon.net/vze6spdi/id15.html

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Tia
Master Rewinder
Member # 4374

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mr. Tia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
muskrat love is indeed a bad song, but i got a best-of captain and tennille collection (they had that one really great song, love will keep us together! you remember the one!)and just about every other song on it besides muskrat love and LWKUT is worse than muskrat love. oi, they were bad.
Posts: 201 | From: Witch Mountain | Registered: Oct 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll admitt to liking Love Will Keep Us Together. (Okay, they had ONE song that was good. Hurrah for them!)
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Tia
Master Rewinder
Member # 4374

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mr. Tia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'd totally forgotten about LWKUT until i saw the (to my mind totally underrated) movie "get it on," kirsten dunst, with the big LWKUT remake going under the hilarious title sequence when that guy gets dumped. i will, i will, i will, i wwiiiiillllll.....
Posts: 201 | From: Witch Mountain | Registered: Oct 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting list Mamamia. I love a lot of those songs hahaha!!

But - I'm am totally with you on Ice Ice Baby

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Tia
Master Rewinder
Member # 4374

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Stitch:
Interesting list Mamamia. I love a lot of those songs hahaha!!

But - I'm am totally with you on Ice Ice Baby

yeah, i'd have to go with mamamia on samantha fox. yuck! stick with what you know, sammy! you know what was good, though? berlin. i used to looovveee them.

i sorta liked pac man fever. i got that album when it came out, it was sorta a cute novelty thang.

eightieschick
Rewind Guru
Member # 4385

- posted      Profile for eightieschick   Email eightieschick       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mamamia- I totally agree with 99% of your list. But a lot of those songs on the worst list I have never heard, because I refuse to listen to top 40 radio. I don't think I could tell the difference between a Puff Daddy song and a Biz Markie song or a Missy Elliot song- they all sound the same. I have not listened to top 40 since college in the late 80's because that was what my roomie listened to, and it was complete torture! We are so fortunate here in Pittsburgh- this week is Hip Hop Appreciation week- Yay! I wonder what would happen if someone wanted to start an 80's music appreciation week? I think they would shun us! Ha,ha.
Posts: 713 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mammamia, I don't understand how you can call yourself an 80s fan and at the same time say that Nirvana (the overrated epitome of nihilstic 90s alternative-schlock) is one of the best bands/singers of all time.

Other than that, I have to say that I like Samantha Fox and Nice 'N' Wild.

Some of your comments were funny, though.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
Oh, pardon me....I guess NICE N WILD and SAMANTHA FOX are going to leave a bigger mark in the music history books than NIRVANA ever will.

Think about it.

rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mamamiasweetpeaches:
Oh, pardon me....I guess NICE N WILD and SAMANTHA FOX are going to leave a bigger mark in the music history books than NIRVANA ever will.

Think about it.

Nirvana and Ratt (both mentioned on your page) are on musical pages so different that they're not even in the same book.

Nirvana was nothing original. What about Sonic Youth? They were performing alternative rock while Kurt Cobain was still banging his head to RATT. Why couldn't you have gone with them, instead?

It's not just you that I question the 80s fandom of when it comes to appreciation of Nirvana.

On various VH1 specials I've seen, Dee Snider, Pat Benatar and David Lee Roth have all stated their love of Nirvana. This is odd, considering that Nirvana and a dozen other groups easily managed to annhilate the careers of these people.

Roth sold out arenas with Van Halen in the 80s...Now he can't even get a club half-filled.

Pat Benatar was another smash hit in the grand venues of 80s music...Now she's playing Six Flags like something out of "This Is Spinal Tap".

Snider's career was pretty much in the gutter by the time Nirvana came to town, but I'll just say that his love of the group is a little sad, considering that Cobain and crew made his entire 80s career to be a sick joke to all those suicidal lumberjack junkies who fell hook, line and stinker for Nirvana's brand of B.S.

How can you love what destroyed you? Alternative music and the interviews that were done with alternative artists degraded the musical and lyrical talents of 80s musicians and the 80s musicians were enraptured by Cobain and crew's wordings, with Kurt as the Pied Piper who led them to Rye Playland to be viewed as objects of ridicule by irony-minded, Starbucks-sipping Green Party members.

I can't make the connect between Motley Crue and Nirvana. I can't make the connect between Lita Ford and Nirvana. I can't make the connect between Iron Maiden and Nirvana.

80s rock stood for having good times. 90s rock stood for staring at the wreckage after those times were had.

I feel that all 80s fans, both non-famous AND famous, who like 90s alternative rock should make a decision. Either you're chucking the TV out the 20th floor window or you're the lawyer representing the hotel.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
You dont question that I also put people like DONNA SUMMER and THE CURE on my list next to METALLICA, AC-DC and OZZY?
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
quote:
You dont question that I also put people like DONNA SUMMER and THE CURE on my list next to METALLICA, AC-DC and OZZY?

No, because all of those artists' great successes (with the exception of Metallica) were primarily in the 70s and 80s and you don't hear anything like them today. Their music comes from a period that can never be replicated. Alternative rock has choked positivity out of modern rock music (Well, Metallica wasn't really all that positive, I'll give you that). If I hear a current rock song, I don't feel good.

I want to feel good when I listen to my music. I don't want to feel like slitting my wrists. That's alternative rock in a nutshell...Music for suicidal nihilists. I know that you're not suicidal or a nihilist, mammamia, so how do you justify liking them?

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
An added note:

I DO have a justification for liking the few modern artists that I do. I've been able to find 80s antecedents to their work.

I can't find any 80s antecedents for the modern artists on your list of the "greatest" bands/singers of all time. I can't find any 80s artists similiar to Franz Ferdinand, The Killers, Linkin Park or Modest Mouse. All of them have an inexorably modern sound to them without any signs that they might have had any ascendants from the 70s and 80s.

I like Pink. My justification is that she's a decendant of blue-eyed soul singers of the 70s and 80s like Teena Marie and Taylor Dayne. Big black voices in little white bodies...You don't get too many of them nowadays.

I like the Insane Clown Posse. I can find traces of Motley Crue, "The Land Of Rape And Honey"-era Ministry and even Killing Joke within their brand of rap metal.

I like a lot of techno, which is basically 70s/80s dance music with a pounding intensity to it.

What are the 70s and 80s artists whom groups like Nirvana and The Killers are descended from?

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hang on, isn't this all getting a bit out of hand. Why should anyone have to justify why they like a certain band. I personally hated Nirvana but I don't think that those who do like them should have to JUSTIFY why they like them.

Leave the poor girl alone John, since when did you become an authority on who we should or shouldn't listen to.

Noms [Cool]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Tia
Master Rewinder
Member # 4374

Member Rated:
I for one liked nirvana. Once you hear it a few times you get tired of it because musically it isn't that interesting but nevermind is a classic; that second album was good too, though a little bleak for my tastes.
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
Rocksteady said
quote:
I like Pink. My justification is that she's a decendant of blue-eyed soul singers of the 70s and 80s like Teena Marie and Taylor Dayne. Big black voices in little white bodies...You don't get too many of them nowadays.
Are you a fan of Anastacia? I realise she is not so well known in the US as she is in Australia and Europe, but she has an even more powerful voice than Taylor Dayne. When she first hit it big, there were constant comparisons to Taylor Dayne, but she's become more accepted as her own person these days.

I saw an interview with her this morning. She is just going out on tour for the first time after finishing treatment for breast cancer.

rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Stitch:
Rocksteady said
quote:
Are you a fan of Anastacia? I realise she is not so well known in the US as she is in Australia and Europe, but she has an even more powerful voice than Taylor Dayne. When she first hit it big, there were constant comparisons to Taylor Dayne, but she's become more accepted as her own person these days.

I saw an interview with her this morning. She is just going out on tour for the first time after finishing treatment for breast cancer.

I've liked what I've heard of her. Once my credit debt has been eased, I'll download some of her stuff. I know that she has an 80s feel to her work...She even worked with Cyndi Lauper on a soda commercial.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Sprechen Sie NOMSish?:

Leave the poor girl alone John, since when did you become an authority on who we should or shouldn't listen to.

Noms [Cool]

I know I'm not an authority. I just want people to see that when you reach a certain age, it's time to stop pretending to be hip and with it.

A child's job is to learn from his elders, but it's difficult when his elders are listening to Green Day and singing lyrics by 50 Cent.

My attitude is this: Don't tell me to act mature if you're trying to recapture your youth.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
I'm sorry for all this ranting and raving. It's just that I've always been viewed as crazy for not liking Nirvana and I feel bad because of it. People say you can listen to whatever you want, but how can you handle the reactions that those same people give you when you say that you hate what they like?

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

EDIT: Re-reading this, I meant to say that I feel alone in my hatred of Nirvana, and it feels odd whenever I'm questioned by the majority.

[ 14. November 2005, 18:59: Message edited by: rocksteadyflamethrower ]

rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Sprechen Sie NOMSish?:

Noms [Cool]

I came up with an additional thought...

Anybody who makes a list of the "greatest" in any category is making pretensions to authority. In general, the human race is very pretentious.

Who is to say what's great and what's not? I am...Mammamia is...Everybody is.

Fighting is what human life is all about. From trivial arguments to world events, life is a fight. Life is a disagreement. Life is all about saying "I'm right and you're wrong" and the other person saying "I'm right and you're wrong" until everybody gets into a furor.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm all for a good debate John you know that. I will fight for my personal tastes with just about anyone. What I'm disagreeing with you on here is the fact that you seem to want justification on someone's likes and dislikes.

How about, she likes Nirvana, just because...

There doesn't have to be some deep hidden meaning behind it all. Damn, I listen to Cradle of Filth yet I'll be damned if I could explain exactly why I like the band. I JUST DO, ok?

Noms [Cool]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
I used to sing in a band and the only "covers" we did were from THE RAMONES and NIRVANA. It was real "go away, f*** you" music....and those bands fit the bill. I was about 19 at the time and just didnt feel like singing about peace, love and harmony. I guess I was in a very "Angry place" in my life and stuff like THE RAMONES and NIRVANA "spoke to me".
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
Okay, I will rsolve this by changing the name of the list from "Best" to "My Favorite"!
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
quote:
Okay, I will rsolve this by changing the name of the list from "Best" to "My Favorite"!

And if I ever make a similar list to yours', I will also label it "My Favorite...".

Friends again?

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home