iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Cyndi Lauper vs Madonna

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cyndi Lauper vs Madonna
VanRayGTO
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 3562

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for VanRayGTO   Email VanRayGTO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this is not movie realted, but I wanted some other fans of the 80's opinon on this. Am I the only who thinks that Cyndi Lauper was and is far more talented than Madonna? Madonna seemed to get by more on being overly sexual for the time, while Cyndi Lauper had what I feel was the better voice.
Posts: 20 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eddie Wilson
Rewind Guru
Member # 169

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Eddie Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like them both. In my opinion, Cyndi is cuter and has more talent in the vocals. She can hit some serious high notes. But on the other hand, Madonna's 80s songs are better. She had alot more hits than Cyndi. I enjoy everyone of them from the 80s era. The new stuff I can live without.
Posts: 711 | From: Fort Worth, Texas, USA | Registered: Dec 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VanRayGTO
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 3562

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for VanRayGTO   Email VanRayGTO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also thought that Cyndi was hotter, mainly becuase she wasn't trying to sexy, she was just herself and I've always liked the quirky and slighty unusual. Madonna definately had more hit songs, but I just never understood why they were so popular, imo her only good song was Like a Prayer.
Posts: 20 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horned King
Rewind Maestro
Member # 2691

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Horned King   Author's Homepage   Email The Horned King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What was Cyndi's last big hit of the '80s?
Posts: 974 | From: Mel's Diner | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horned King
Rewind Maestro
Member # 2691

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Horned King   Author's Homepage   Email The Horned King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just wondering...

'Cause I like Cyndi quite a lot.

And I will say this: Cyndi looks better these days than Madonna.

Posts: 974 | From: Mel's Diner | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Absolutly - Cindy was a far more talented singer, but was probably a bit too "unique", whereas Madonna was far more marketable.
The last hit song Cindy had here was "I drove all night" in 1989

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stitch said it best...marketing is what propelled Madonna.
Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smayt Shatner
Rewind Shaft -Can u dig it?
Member # 1500

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Smayt Shatner   Email Smayt Shatner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cyndi vs Madonna....
kinda' sounds like a Mortal Combat cheese movie.
Guest starring Angela lansbury and David McCallum.

Posts: 1201 | From: under everyone's bed...watching and waiting. | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow I have never really thought to compare these two before. Madonna is an Icon in my opinion because she used her sexuality to get big. Cyndi used her unique style way more than her sexuality to become popular. Each one has a major signature song of the 80s that we will never forget.

Lauper--Girls Just Want to Have Fun

Madonna--Like a Virgin

I like that this comparison was brought up because I had never really thought of them in the same way before. It is a shame that Madonna didn't get a movie made after any of her songs, oh wait--Who's That Girl!! Girls Just Want to Have Fun was better though--even if Cyndi wasn't in it.

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by VanRayGTO:
Madonna seemed to get by more on being overly sexual for the time, while Cyndi Lauper had what I feel was the better voice.

Whilst placing myself firmly in the camp that says that overt sexuality isn't necessarily a bad thing, I would have to say that Lauper had a much more recognisable voice than Madonna. That's really why she stands out.

Most blokes, however, would probably go for overt sexuality over a good, if quirky, vocal any day...... [Wink] [Big Grin]

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if you wanna talk looks, madonna is not a bad looking woman, but not beautiful in my opinion. she was definitely something different and attractive when she first appeared and same goes for lauper. reasons i admire madonna, is because she has come a long way, made mistakes, tried many different looks, took the critisism, dabbled in a bit of everything (even if she wasn't successful and gratious), picked up one day and moved to new york, trying to make her dreams come true, and she did. she sang some really cool songs in the 80s and had a terrific style for that time.
lauper has the stronger voice, no doubt. and was just as different looking, even more punk i would say. madonna was more serious on a sexual level, and lauper was more fun and wacky, in a good sense. i don't think madonna has that great of a voice at all, where lauper reminds me of my fave singer dale bozzio of the missing persons... they both have that cool hiccupping voice!
i don't know where lauper is in her career these days, but i still think she sticks out as a terrific rocker from the 80s. madonna has kept her career going with movies (although most weren't successful), childeren's books, more albums, and bigger, world wide tours.

they both still rock though. [Smile]

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Rewind Maestro
Member # 2627

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like Cyndi Lauper. I don't much care for Madonna at all. She gets on my nerves.
Posts: 944 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually think that Cyndi has gotten better looking with age, as has Madonna. They have softened their looks a lot and don't seem so rough like they were in the 80s.
Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VanRayGTO
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 3562

Rate Member
Recently on something VH1 was airing Cyndi Lauper was featured for a few minutes, and personally she looks way better than Madonna does now. If you listen to some of Cyndi's albums from the 90's they're all very good, but they were not mainstream pop records like Madonna. I still can't figure out why Madonna is even considered a relevant artist, her last few albums have flopped, and the ones that sold well were not very good imo.
lessthanzero
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 3494

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for lessthanzero   Email lessthanzero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Madonna's last "few" albums haven't "flopped." Ray of Light was her biggest seller since Like a Prayer and Music sold 3 million on the back of her biggest hit since "Vogue." American Life didn't sell well in America but, quelle surprise, it was very successful everywhere else. If you look at the climate of this country, it's amazing anyone with something to say can manage to be successful nowadays.
Posts: 11 | Registered: Nov 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
madonna's MUSIC cd... didn't that do good as well? i liked several songs from that album, but haven't heard the entire thing.
Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lessthanzero
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 3494

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for lessthanzero   Email lessthanzero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Music is a strong album. Lyrically, it isn't as cohesive as American Life, but I like it so much more than I did, initially, whereas I liked American Life to begin with.

The strongest songs on Music are probably I Deserve It, Paradise (Not For Me) and Gone.

Posts: 11 | Registered: Nov 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Comparing Cyndi and Madonna is like comparing apples to oranges. I like both singers, but their musical styles are so different from one another.

Personally, I think Cyndi is more of a down-to-earth person. Madonna might be a better singer, but has that diva-like personality that might rub off on you the wrong way.

And Madonna has made WAY more bad movies than Cyndi has!

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't stand Madonna as a person, just because she is a major fur wearer, and I think she's completely nuts. But, she has definately worked hard, even though she is all about sex, which has made her a mega millionaire. Her acting was the worst ever. I like some of her songs. I always liked the song Frozen-that was a newer song. The 80's songs she did..I will always love-Crazy for You, and Get into the Groove, and Material Girl, and Holiday.

Cyndi Lauper I would never ever call attractive, like Madonna...Madonna had the worst teeth of any celebrity I ever saw. But they had "personality"-that's what made them look better than they really were, and the fact that they both had their own "style", and weren't afraid to wear ANYTHING.

Cyndi Lauper, she was definately "Unusual". I loved the entire She's so unusual album, I wore that thing out, I loved every song- Witness was my favorite-and I liked When you were Mine. But my favorite all time Cyndi songs are All through the Night and I Drove all night-both of those songs have such personal memories for me.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home