iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » New version of I Melt With You. Blech!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New version of I Melt With You. Blech!
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tell me it isnt so? Tell me that crappy BOWLING FOR SOUP has not descecrated MODERN ENGLISH's I Melt With You.
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Illnero
Master Rewinder
Member # 4286

- posted      Profile for Illnero   Email Illnero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah. That's off of the Sky High soundtrack.
Other retched abominations of all that is holy include covers of 'Til Tuesday's Voices Carry by Vitamin C, The Fixx's One Thing Leads to Another by Steven Strait (which is awful), The English Beat's Twist and Crawl by Skindred (If you want a good cover, try Death In Vegas), and alot of other awful pop perversions that will make you wonder who in their right mind has the authority to allow such grave injustices to happen in the world.

Posts: 154 | From: between wash and spin | Registered: Aug 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Illnero wrote, in part:
quote:
...who in their right mind has the authority to allow such grave injustices to happen in the world.
That would be the original songwriters themselves!

As long as they can rake in some cash for the new band or singer's version of their original song, they probably couldn't care less how the new version will be.

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Illnero
Master Rewinder
Member # 4286

- posted      Profile for Illnero   Email Illnero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was being melodramatic and rhetorical.

Pardon me while I go to corner and talk to the ghost of Elia Kazan.

Posts: 154 | From: between wash and spin | Registered: Aug 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually think that is sad.

That they don't care enough about their music anymore, and will lend it out to anyone with a dollar waving in their hand....I mean doesn't anybody ever say...Money ain't everything?

Cause it sure isn't.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing worse than bad 80's covers, I was just trying to recover from the clueless Duff sisters version of Our Lips are sealed, and now more from this Bowling for Soup group. I just wonder how much of those artists that were covered actually own their own music or have some control over it.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, bear in mind that some of our 80s favorites were covers as well. For example, Joan Jett's "I Love Rock 'N' Roll" is a cover.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

I don't recall the original artist, but I know it's not an original.

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Missie
MadonnaWannabee
Member # 2186

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Missie   Author's Homepage   Email Missie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, it's all about publishing...you do not have to have an artists permission to cover their song as long as royalties are paid and credit given where due.

Missie

Posts: 432 | From: Burbank, CA | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GoldTransAM
Master Rewinder
Member # 2973

13 Updates!

- posted      Profile for GoldTransAM         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter has a version of I Melt With You by Mest from the Not Another Teen Movie soundtrack.
Posts: 191 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jul 2004 | Site Updates: 13  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay I remember hearing that song in Sky High but I didn't know who did it. That movie was full of 80s songs, none of which were by the original artists. Maybe the soundtrack would have done better if they would have the original artists on board.

Cool movie to by the way...great for kids.....of all ages!

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ack! Apparently, BOWLING FOR SOUP is also doing a cover of Ghostbusters by Ray Parker Jr....a song that never was any good to begin with....for the movie JUST LIKE HEAVEN.

Now Im convinced BOWLING FOR SOUP has sold their souls to the devil for fame!

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home