iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Did you have an 80's song that got on your nerves? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Did you have an 80's song that got on your nerves?
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One I can think of that drove me crazy...that actually was a big hit ...even though I have never figured out why...was:

Elvira by the Oak Ridge Boys

Can you think of songs that when they came out...they drove you crazy?

She Blinded Me with Science ...use to drive me crazy...but I don't mind it now, and kind of like it.

Africa-by Toto...I never liked it.

I Want A New Drug-Huey Lewis.

Total Eclipse of the Heart-that song drove me nuts...and the video did too.

Bette Davis Eyes- I never liked Kim Carnes singing that song...the only song I ever liked that she sang was "More Love".

If you want my body, and you think I'm sexy- Rod Stewart, use to gross me out...but now I don't mind the song as much.

Everytime You Go Away-Paul Young...I never liked it.

I am sure I could think of others.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Illnero
Master Rewinder
Member # 4286

- posted      Profile for Illnero   Email Illnero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yello's Oh Yeah.

I don't really hate the song if I hear it in a movie, on the radio during an 80s weekend or somewhere else (I was suprised as hell to here it when I picked up Gran Turismo 4.) But I hate it when some jackass feels the need to do their version of the song. It was real bad back in the 80s when Twix had that campaign that used the song and gave people free reign to do it.

Posts: 154 | From: between wash and spin | Registered: Aug 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boom Boom Boom Let's go back to my room - Paul Lekakis

A Good Heart - Feargal Sharkey

Little Red Corvette - Prince

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Men At Work - Down Under.

I'm shuddering right now even as I type......

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too many to mention.
For me its usually "dance hits" like MARRS NEEDS WOMAN, PUMP UP THE JAM, IT TAKES TWO TO MAKE A THING GO RIGHT....that kind of stuff.

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kat27
Master Rewinder
Member # 3979

1 Update

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kat27     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stitch - A good heart is one of my favourites and Paul - I will forgive you because you are a guru and not Australian but I adore Down Under. It is the closest to 'the star spangled banner' or 'God save the Queen' that Australians have to an anthem (ok we've been awfully hard up since Xanadu). I hated Pseudo Echo's song 'Listening'.
Posts: 327 | From: Australia | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louden Swain
Master Rewinder
Member # 3671

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Louden Swain   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anything by The Pointer Sisters and Whitney Houston -(am now in corner curled up in fetal position rocking back and forth)
Posts: 245 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah. for meit's WHITNEY HOUSTON or MARIAH CAREY.
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Oh man, mostly the generic ones.

Mickey (A nightmare)
Centerfold (Just boring now)

There are many more, I think I am just choosing to block them out right now.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never liked "Who Can it Be Now?" either.

I use to hate "Somebody's Watching Me".

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Illnero
Master Rewinder
Member # 4286

- posted      Profile for Illnero   Email Illnero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Hooters "And We Danced". I don't know how much of a hit it was on the chart, but it appears alot on 80s radio shows and I've never dug it.

I don't hate the song, but I can't listen to Marvin Gaye's "Sexual Healing" for fear of a Pavlovian illness. And Scritti Politti never get enough props, IMO. I'd take hearing "Perfect Way" over "And We Danced" anyday.

Posts: 154 | From: between wash and spin | Registered: Aug 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanilou
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 4288

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Shanilou   Email Shanilou   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hated and still do Who can it be now and Elvira
Posts: 11 | Registered: Aug 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
OOOH...I heard one today on the radio.....that definately got on my nerves:

I got my mind set on you- George Harrison

Gosh...I remember that song played constantly on MTV, it drove me crazy...this song, and

The way you make me feel-Michael Jackson... were so over played, and I hated both of them.

Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hehe Isis I love both of those!!!!

i'm a closet early MJ fan....well I guess not anymore.... [Big Grin]

That funny George Harrison!!!the moving stuffed animals on the wall...lol Only would I love him becuase he wrote one of my favorite songs ever "Here Comes the Sun" awwwwwww.

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I might like a certain song if only because that I know it gets on ISIS' nerves! [Smile]

But 80s' songs that get on MY nerves? Well, there's so many!

For starters....

"We Don't Have To Take Our Clothes Off" by Jermaine Stewart

"Bruce" by Rick Springfield

But there's too many to list!

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Debarge's Rythm of the Night seemed to rub me the wrong way.

The bad sounding synth riff on Human League's Keep feeling fascination always othered me too, although the song was OK.

Eddie Rabbitt's Rainy Night as well, drove me nuts.

Bruce Hornsby's Mandolin Rain too.

Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I never even heard of "Bruce" ....so Steven... your allowed to hate that one.

Muffy...it is funny..because:" I got my mind set on you"...reminds me of when I lived in my 1st apartment...no joke....and I remember sitting there eating Kraft Mac N Cheese..and hearing that song....it makes you want to bounce around the room....but they over played it so much.

They over played Bon Jovi's Dead or Alive- but I loved that song.

I love: "We don't have to take our clothes off"....we could dance and party all night, and drink some cherry wine....uh huh...na na na na na na...na na....

J. Chance
Senior Rewinder
Member # 4217

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J. Chance   Email J. Chance   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Buffalo Stance by Neneh Cherry gets my vote.
Posts: 77 | From: Up north | Registered: Jun 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I love: "We don't have to take our clothes off"....we could dance and party all night, and drink some cherry wine....uh huh...na na na na na na...na na.... [/QB]
Haaaaaaaa! just in the last month..I taught this very cool 18 year old the words to this song without her even hearing it! We drove everyone crazy....cause most people hate the song.

Upon her leaving for college I made her a CD of the song even pasted a picture of Jeremane on the front.haha. She loved it and now sings the lyrics right!

Such a great song it is! "uh huh!" You can blame me for the 80's cheese coruption of our youth... [Wink]

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by J. Chance:
Buffalo Stance by Neneh Cherry gets my vote.

J. Chance I think it's sad for you to slam Paul Shrimpton's Theme song. [Smile]

Who's that gigolo on the street?
With his hands in his pockets and his crocodile feet
Hanging off the curb, looking all disturbed
because Amanda Jones wants to jump his bones.

Gigolo, Huh, sukka?
Gigolo. Gigolo, Huh, sukka? [Cool]

[ 07. September 2005, 14:49: Message edited by: Valley ]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FontanaG
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1673

- posted      Profile for FontanaG   Author's Homepage   Email FontanaG       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait wait I got one ROCKWELL "I always feel like someone's watching me" homie only made a record cuz his dad is Barry Gordie of Motown Records...

www.myspace.com/mobiledjdennis

Posts: 59 | From: FontanaCA | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Illnero
Master Rewinder
Member # 4286

Robbie Nevil's C'est La Vie was a song that I absolutely loathed back in the day, even when I was a kid. But I heard it recently on an 80s radio show that I just so happened to be writing to at the time. For some odd reason, I could imagine it as the perfect song to play during the trailer of a movie of a character or characters going through the absolute worst moments of their lives, in a comical way. Something in the vein of the scene in Fargo where William H. Macy can't do anything right and attacks his windshield while trying to pick the frost off of it.

And I never liked Nik Kershaw's "Wouldn't It Be Good," but now that could play in a teen movie prom scene.

Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anything by Rick redhead Astley.
Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kat27
Master Rewinder
Member # 3979

1 Update

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kat27     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, apparently my street-cred is somewhat diminished now that I see a number of my favourite songs are on this list! However, agree with Rick Astley and ANYTHING by Whitney Houston (although we didn't get Mariah Carey over here until 1990 so essentially she doesn't count). I think the true test of a song you hate is, if it came onto the radio - would you change the channel. While we are at it I loved "Got my mind set on you", "And we danced" and "A good heart" are my channel changing eighties songs: Centrefold, I want Candy, Doctor Doctor, Under Pressure (I appreciate that it is musically a great song but every radio station in the world has FLOGGED this song), Come on Eileen, Sign Your name, When Will I be Famous (BROS), I eat Cannibals.
Posts: 327 | From: Australia | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ali don't dog my red headed deep voiced hottie. I loved his album Never Gonna Give You Up!!!! [Wink] [Big Grin]

I loved Who Can It Be Now, Buffalo Stance and some others mentioned on here.

Ones I cannot stand would be Bad--by MJ. I know there are some others. Rock Me Amadeaus gets on my nerves but not so much that I would have to turn it off, Oh yeah and Mony Mony by Billy Idol. That was on the other day and it was like the song that wouldn't end!

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home