iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Two 80's Songs I never heard before

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Two 80's Songs I never heard before
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay as usual I was listening to the 80s channel on TV this morning and I heard two songs that I really don't think I have heard before.

Sweetheart--I think it was Frankie and the Knockouts? Does anyone know anything about them?

I've Never Been to Me--Chalene or Charlene? As I listened to that one some of it kind of sounded familiar but not.

I haven't even ever heard of either one of these 80s music people before. Does anyone have any input on this one? [Smile]

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jessie:

I was a DJ at a college radio station in 1980-81.

I used to play "Sweetheart" by Frankie and the Knockouts on the rotation. They were from New Brunswick, New Jersey, and had a few other minor hits in the early 80's. The group broke up around 1987. Tico Torres played drums for the group before he later joined Bon Jovi, and their singer Frankie Previte co-wrote two major hit songs from the Dirty Dancing soundtrack: "I've Had The Time Of My Life" (which won the "Best Song" at the Academy Awards) and Eric Carmen's "Hungry Eyes".

If you're interested, I would suggest getting the group's 1999 compilation: "The Sweetheart Collection".

(click below):
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:54j4eal34xs7

As for Charlene, "I've Never Been to Me", I don't know whatever happened to her since that hit. But you might be interested to find a little bit more about her:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:1kqag40ttv2z~T1

[ 18. August 2005, 09:00: Message edited by: StevenHW ]

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info Steve, I will definately check them out. Thanks for your research on this one!!
Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love that song "I've never been to me". It's so tragic!

"I've been to paradise
But I've never been to me"

Puhlease!!!

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
The words definately are tragic. The song makes you stop what you are doing and listen to it.
GoldTransAM
Master Rewinder
Member # 2973

13 Updates!

- posted      Profile for GoldTransAM         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The song "I've never been to me" by Charlene is from 1977.
Posts: 191 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jul 2004 | Site Updates: 13  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kat27
Master Rewinder
Member # 3979

1 Update

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kat27     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I've never been to me" was one of the theme songs from the movie "Priscilla Queen of the Desert" with Guy Pearce (Memento, LA Confidential).
Posts: 327 | From: Australia | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home