iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » COME ON EILEEN

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: COME ON EILEEN
Saint_in_London
Master Rewinder
Member # 2575

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Saint_in_London   Email Saint_in_London   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dexys midnight runners are not the one-hit wonder generaly thought...but of course this was there huge hit in the UK/US dont know where else?

Still a popualr wedding/party song in the UK
COME ON EILEEN - 07/08/1982
4 weeks at #1 - 17 weeks on chart

The video was filmed on Lambeths, Brook Drive

Come on Eileen

Come on Eileen

Poor old Johnny Ray
Sounded sad upon the radio
Moved a million hearts in mono
Our mothers cried, sang along who'd blame them
You've grown, so grown, now I must say more than ever
Come on Eileen
Go toora loora toora loo rye aye
And we can sing just like our fathers

Come on Eileen, well I swear (what he means)
At this moment, you mean everything
With you in that dress my thoughts I confess
Verge on dirty
Ah come on Eileen

Come on Eileen

These people round here wear beaten down eyes
Sunk in smoke dried faces
They're so resigned to what their fate is
But not us (no never) no not us (no never)
We are far too young and clever (clever)
Toora loora toora loo rye aye
Eileen I'll hum this tune forever

Come on Eileen well I swear (what he means)
Ah come on, let's take off everything
That pretty white dress Eileen (tell him yes)
Ah come on lets, oh come on Eileen
That pretty white dress Eileen (tell him yes)
Ah come on lets, oh come on Eileen
Come on Eileen too-loo rye-ay
Come on Eileen too-loo rye-ay
Now you are grown
Now you have shown oh Eileen
Said, Come on, these things they are real
And I know how you feel
Now I must say more than ever
Things round here have changed
I said too-ra loo-ra too-ra loo-rye-aye
Come on Eileen well I swear (what he means)
At this moment, you mean everthing
You in that dress my thoughts I confess
Verge on dirty
Ah come on Eileen
Come on Eileen Oh I swear (what he means)
At this moment, you mean everthing
In that dress Oh my thoughts I confess
Well they're dirty
Ah come on Eileen

Originally formed in Birmingham in 1978, Dexys Midnight Runners based their sound around their love of 1960's soul music. Fronted by enigmatic singer-songwriter Kevin Rowland, Dexys supported The Specials on a UK tour in 1979 when they were spotted by former Clash manager, Bernie Rhodes, and quickly signed their first record deal with EMI. A UK Number 1 followed in 1980 with "Geno" taken from their debut album "Searching for the Young Soul Rebels".

Following both a change of line-up and record label in 1981, Dexys found a new direction by melding the soul revival elements of their sound with Irish folk, resulting in them becoming a household name in 1982 with the ever-popular "Come on Eileen" - a Number 1 hit both in the UK and the US. 1985 brought the critically acclaimed album "Don't Stand me Down", now recognised as an all-time classic.

Following the demise of Dexys in 1987, Kevin returned as a solo performer in 1988 with "The Wanderer", and "My Beauty", his album classic cover songs, in 1990, after which Kevin spent a few years out of the spotlight.

The brilliance and longevity of Dexys' work was recognised in 2003 when they received the Classic Songwriters Award at the 14th Annual Q Awards. Dexys subsequently reformed and embarked on a tour of UK theatres featuring, alongside Kevin, original members Pete Williams, long-term member Mick Talbot (Merton Parkas-Style Council) and new recruit Lucy Morgan on violin. Filmed on November 7th 2003 at The Liverpool Royal Court Theatre, Kevin and Pete share the vocal duties on many of the best known and loved Dexys' songs. Kevin's fine vocal form and new suave and sophisticated style prove that Dexys still have the power to captivate their audience in this intimate and highly entertaining show.

You can find some alternative lyrics here -

http://www.spiritonline.com/dexys/lyrics.html

Posts: 226 | From: London, England | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's really interesting. I didn't know anything about the band at all. "Come on Eileen" was a massive hit here. It's known by practically everyone. Whenever it's on the radio or tv, you'll here people start humming along, and if it plays in the pubs, everyone starts singing along.
Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saint_in_London
Master Rewinder
Member # 2575

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Saint_in_London   Email Saint_in_London   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stich - thats just the same effect that it has over here still.....
Posts: 226 | From: London, England | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duckie Dale Winton
Master Rewinder
Member # 3419

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Duckie Dale Winton   Author's Homepage   Email Duckie Dale Winton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
....and it's also the answer to that age old question:

What's messier than "Hang On Sloopy"? [Wink]

Posts: 242 | From: Northampton, England | Registered: Oct 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or
"Whats grosser than honey on Olivia Newton John?"

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...or...
"What's more sappy than Michael Bolton?" [Eek!]

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Dexys midnight runners are not the one-hit wonder generaly thought...but of course this was there huge hit in the UK/US dont know where else?
Over here in Yank Land they are the epitome of a one-hit wonder. As a matter of fact if you look up one-hit wonder in the dictionary I believe there's a picture of overalls.
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Missie
MadonnaWannabee
Member # 2186

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Missie   Author's Homepage   Email Missie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing against anyone who digs it, but I hate this song on a level that is almost biblical.

It's not the song itself, but the fact that it was overplayed back then and now appears on nearly every 80's compliation in existance.

There is so much music from the 80's that should be shown the light of day, this song is getting a third degree burn at this point.

Missie

Posts: 432 | From: Burbank, CA | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didnt one guy (who left the band or get thrown out) try to sue the head guy for stealing the bands "image" idea from him? (Scruffy looking over-all wearing people who look like they dont wash often! Some image!)
the guy (singer) denied it.
Nowadays when asked about it he admits that they did steal all their ideas from this guy.
(I think I heard this on a VH1 special on One Hit Wonders)

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a shame really, that Dexy's are remembered primarily for this track. Don't get me wrong, I like the song, but they did so much better. Jackie Wilson Says is a far better song, and any of their earlier stuff (especially Geno) beats this out of sight.....
Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Even though Jackie wilson isn't their song.

WE are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even though it appears on the same album as Come On Eileen, and even if it was done 10 years before by Van Morrisson.

It's still better than Come On Eileen.

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duckie Dale Winton
Master Rewinder
Member # 3419

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Duckie Dale Winton   Author's Homepage   Email Duckie Dale Winton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as "jackie Wilson Says" goes, I imagine that nobody outside the UK ever had the pleasure of seeing the legendary Dexys performance on Top Of The Pops, when they performed the song in front of a huge backdrop of fat, sweaty professional darts oaf JOCKY Wilson!

Classic f*ck up!! [Cool]

Posts: 242 | From: Northampton, England | Registered: Oct 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home