iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » The Charity Single

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Charity Single
Saint_in_London
Master Rewinder
Member # 2575

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Saint_in_London   Email Saint_in_London   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking back at the 80s it was definatley the decade that started the charity single here in the UK. Here are the ones that I remember, there maybe some more. Did this happen everywhere?

BAND AID
DO THEY KNOW IT'S CHRISTMAS
1984 - #1 (biggest seller of the 80s)

USA FOR AFRICA
WE ARE THE WORLD - 20/04/1985
2 weeks at #1 - 9 weeks on chart

THE YOUNG ONES
LIVING DOLL vs CLIFF RICHARD & HANK MARVIN
29/03/1986 - 3 weeks at #1 - 11 weeks on chart
(i think this was for a childrens charity)

FERRY AID
LET IT BE - 04/04/1987
3 weeks at #1 - 7 weeks on chart
(this was for a ferry the sunk with a great loss of life)

BAND AID
DO THEY KNOW IT'S CHRISTMAS
1989 no 1

Ferry Across the Mersey No 1
(this was for Liverpool Football Club who had a crowd crush and a lot of people died, sad as many were young)

Posts: 226 | From: London, England | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should also include:

* "Tears Are Not Enough" by Northern Lights, a collection of Canadian singers and bands. You can find it on the "We Are The World" album.

* [don't know the name of the song] by a group called Hear N' Aid, which was a group hard-rock and heavy-metal acts. It was also for a hunger cause.

* "That's What Friends Are For" by 'Dionne & Friends' (which was actually Dionne Warwick, Gladys Knight, Elton John & Stevie Wonder) went to AIDS research.

* Michael Jackson's late 80's song "The Man In The Mirror" single went to charity, but I don't remember which one.

* "With A Little Help From My Friends" (the Beatles song) was done by a group called Wet Wet Wet in the late 80's. The proceeds went to a British organization called ChildLine.

* The very first "A Very Special Christmas" CD went to the Children's Special Olympics.

* "The Super Bowl Shuffle" by The Chicago Bears Shufflin' Crew, was actually members of the 1985 Chicago Bears (American) football team doing a novelty rap song. There was even a music video that was shown on MTV and "Friday Night Videos". Proceeds went to various local charities in the Chicago area.

(click below):
http://www.webwaymonsters.com/85bears/shuffle.html

I'm sure there are others, but that's all I can think of right now.

Saint, for a list of charity singles, click below:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charity_record

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home