iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » What 80's songs trigger fond summer memories of the past?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What 80's songs trigger fond summer memories of the past?
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's been summer officially since June 21st, actually the whole month of June was record heat here. Anyway have been chilling at the pool the last week outside my aprtment. I will be lying in the sun and some long forgotten memories seem to come back. When I hear certain songs of the late 80's I get all nostalgic. It just seemed like yesterday didn't?It's like that Talking Heads song How did I get here? Anyway a few songs that seem to trigger some memories.

Endless Summer Nights-Richard Marx

Ok, some sappy stuff coming on, being into punk, alternative and heavy music later on it is kind of crazy to be admitting this. I had a crush on a lifeguard one summer, and when I hear this song I think of her and her eternal elusiveness.

Circle in the sand-Belind Carlisle

I just seem to remember really great times with family and friends the summer this came out hanging out in our cottage.

Iko Iko, the Sign of the Times-The Belle Stars

Somebody had this mix tape with these songs on them, man that tape had a lot of use, just the bouncy sounds went well crusing around in the town at night.

Martika-Toy Soldiers

I remember buying the tape like it was yesterday, and was amazed when it was resurrected by Eminem recently.

Eddy Grant-Electric Avenue

An early summer memory during the ghetto blaster era, when a friend seemed to play this song every day on the beach in the mid 80's.

Rio-Duran Duran

Funny, but seeing this video gave the impression on me and my friends that pop stars had the best, sunny lives and we wanted to emulate them and wear white suits and go sailing.

Madonna-Cherish

Very summery video, plus the Like a Prayer album was her best, the best tape my sister ever purchased, still love it.

Alive-Love and Rockets

Just remember building and painting a summer deck for my grandfather when I first heard this song on the radio. Always think of that.

So what songs trigger summery nostalgia for you?

Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OOOH...I like this thread Riptide.

Let's see...

Jessie's Girl- I remember laying out on the deck by our pool with 2 of my friends, and playing it over and over.

Van Halen's 1984 Album-I bought it for my cousin for her 16th birthday which was in JULY, and we had a huge party at my house...she wore a red crop top with a picture of Michael Jackson on it, and she even had the album cover from Thriller painted on her birthday cake...but I bought her the Van Halen 1984 album- cause it happened to actually be 1984...and we had a dance, and a friend of ours was teaching everyone to break dance. It was so much fun, it was one of my best summer memories.

I actually hate this song...but it reminds me of summer:

Putting on the Ritz- Taco...There were these 2 guys that liked me and my cousin, and I would spend the weekend in the summer at her house, and they would come hang out, and they'd stay up watching Friday Night videos with us, and they lip synced that song the one night, and had hats and canes....and totally cracked us up. I remember later that night...I fell asleep on the couch...and the guy that liked me...he kissed me on the cheek...and everyone went nuts...like they had dared him to do it...and couldn't believe he had the nerve, and you know how everyone makes such a huge deal out of stuff like that when your a teenager...and goes...woooooo hoooooo.. Well, he woke me up..obviously...and I about fell on the floor, cause everyone was staring at me waiting to see what I did. It was hysterical...cause he took off running, and slipped and fell on the kitchen floor.

Rock On-Michael Damien- me and my best friend Tommy- who is in my Prom picture I posted on here...he was my boyfriend's brother..but he and I were friends for years, he had a black sports car with a sunroof, and we use to cruise town in it, and blast the song Rock On and sing it! Also...it isn't from the 80's...but the song Summertime Blues came on while me and Tommy...and our other friend who's name happened to be "Ogre"...we were shopping, and that song played...and Tommy started dancing all over the store, and it was so hysterical. Everyone stopped and was looking at us. I went and bought the song on an oldies tape, and gave it to him.

You Lost that Loving Feelin- when Tommy and his friend Carl came to visit me for a week when I lived in Virginia, me and my roommate, Stacey...and them went to Kings Dominion...we were in line, and it was so hot, and so boring...Tommy and Carl started singing You Lost that Loving Feelin, and me and Stacey were sitting up on the bars of the walk way area, and they actually got down on their knees...and were singing to us...and everyone in line sang along too, just like Top Gun, and I actually can picture it , because a butterfly came and landed on my leg and just sat there...like it was listening too, it was very cool.

Don't You want Me- Jody Watley...now that one is a "personal" memory...but whooo hoo..what a goodie it was.

There are tons....I had so much fun in the summers!!

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent topic Riptide! I was thinking of making a summer cd for my car and this will surely help [Big Grin] . I totally agree with you though, there are just some songs that when I hear them, I immediately think of summer or driving in my car on a hot summer night. You were right on with the Richard Marx. My picks would be:

Heart-These Dreams
Boys of Summer-Don Henley
Bryan Adams-Thought I'd Died And Gone to Heaven or Run To You
Broken Wings-Mister Mr.

There's so many more...let me think. I'll be back... [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cindy-I love: Thought I'd died and gone to Heaven. That is an awesome song.

Summer of 69 is also a song that probably everyone can relate to a summer memory.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i am sure i will think of more Rip, but i have been playing bryan adam's SOMEBODY a lot lately. a lot of bryan's songs were catchy summer-like tunes.
Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J. Chance
Senior Rewinder
Member # 4217

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J. Chance   Email J. Chance   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If This Is It -- Huey Lewis & The News

Daring, optimistic and hopeful. A good motivation to go back to tha beach.

Posts: 77 | From: Up north | Registered: Jun 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I WANT YOUR SEX always reminds me of the summertime. That was a hit you couldnt escape when I was about 16 and sneaking in and out of the house with all my friends to go look for boys. Gee, maybe it had subliminal messages in it.
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J. Chance
Senior Rewinder
Member # 4217

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J. Chance   Email J. Chance   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While we're on the subject of summer songs, maybe a Rewinder will know this one.

In Fast Times At Ridgemont High, in the scene toward the end where Stacy gives Mark her picture, at some point the song "So Much In Love" by Timothy B. Schmit was replaced with a different one because of some licensing issue. I thought the new song was actually a better fit, but I cannot find any references as to what it was called or who sings it. Here are the words I could make out:

"As we walk hand in hand
In our own enchanted land
We're reminded of the golden memories
Of those soft summer nights
Underneath the corner light
As we listened to our favorite melodies

Just a sweet love song
Hear it all night long
Playin' soft and low
On the radio..."

Posts: 77 | From: Up north | Registered: Jun 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mane1980
Rewind Guru
Member # 4240

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mane1980   Author's Homepage   Email Mane1980   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Girls Just wanna Have fun-Cindy Lauper
Good Enough (Gonnies Theme)-Cindy Lauper

Posts: 631 | From: From Out of this World | Registered: Jul 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That reminds me: CYNDI LAUPER is going to be on QUEER AS FOLK on Sunday!
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had another flashback, it had to be the summer of 88 or 89? And I remember I kept hearing Terence Trent Darby's sign your name played just about every day.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home