iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Remade 80s songs that you actually like....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Remade 80s songs that you actually like....
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Preface for the 80s Avenger - I've not confirmed that this is / was an 80s song, but I think it was......

My journey to work today was accompanied by the excellent sound of Smooth Criminal by Alien Ant Farm. Of course I have Michael Jackson's original, but I actually prefer the new version - it's a great song to drive to, and has set me up for the day - I may well need to listen to it again.

We've had threads about all the 80s songs that have been well and truly mullered by so-called musicians, so I thought I'd ask you for remakes of classic 80s tunes that you like, or even that you think are better than the original......

Posts: 3408 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can think of only one right now: 'Sweet Dreams' (Are Made Of This) by Marilyn Manson.
When I first heard it on the soundtrack of House on the Haunted Hill, I thought "WOW! This is so much better than the original by The Eurythmics."

Posts: 1050 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and Billy Idol’s take on 'Don’t You (Forget About Me)'.. Superb!!! [Cool]
Posts: 1050 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GoldTransAM
Master Rewinder
Member # 2973

12 Updates!

- posted      Profile for GoldTransAM         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like No Doubt's version of "It's My Life" better than the original by Talk, Talk.
Posts: 191 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jul 2004 | Site Updates: 12  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She's as dumb as a sack of hammers, but I loved Jessica Simpson's version of Berlin's "Take My Breath Away".

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kat27
Master Rewinder
Member # 3979

1 Update

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kat27     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry all but none. I am a staunch original fan. Although I do like Marilyn Manson's version of 'Sweet Dreams' and No Doubt's version of 'It's my Life'.
Posts: 327 | From: Australia | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kat27:
Sorry all but none. I am a staunch original fan. Although I do like Marilyn Manson's version of 'Sweet Dreams' and No Doubt's version of 'It's my Life'.

So then you negate yourself, huh? [Big Grin] [Wink] [Razz]

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brandon777
Master Rewinder
Member # 4014

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Brandon777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GoldTransAM:
I like No Doubt's version of "It's My Life" better than the original by Talk, Talk.

That is a cool remake.
Posts: 239 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brode
Master Rewinder
Member # 3732

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Brode   Author's Homepage   Email Brode   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure if it really counts, but Fates Warning does an AMAZING cover of Iron Maiden's Murders In The Rue Morgue, and Skyclad does a fun cover of Come On Eileen.

Oh, and Sonata Arctica doing Helloween's I Want Out.

Posts: 267 | From: Manitoba | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gary Jules version of TFF"s Mad World wasn't bad, just the way he did it in Donnie Darko was a bit different from the original which made me reappreciate the song.

Anyone heard Kelly Osbourne's new song One Word? It's pretty good for her although it sounds a lot like Visage's Fade to Grey with some alterations.

Posts: 4297 | From: Tuff Turf Academy | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Watch your favorite 80s movies for FREE and you'll be supporting this site! There's no catch! Please just click and sign up.
Amazon want you to try their service for 30 days and will donate to us every time someone does. Thank you for supporting us!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home