iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Remade 80s songs that you actually like....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Remade 80s songs that you actually like....
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Preface for the 80s Avenger - I've not confirmed that this is / was an 80s song, but I think it was......

My journey to work today was accompanied by the excellent sound of Smooth Criminal by Alien Ant Farm. Of course I have Michael Jackson's original, but I actually prefer the new version - it's a great song to drive to, and has set me up for the day - I may well need to listen to it again.

We've had threads about all the 80s songs that have been well and truly mullered by so-called musicians, so I thought I'd ask you for remakes of classic 80s tunes that you like, or even that you think are better than the original......

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can think of only one right now: 'Sweet Dreams' (Are Made Of This) by Marilyn Manson.
When I first heard it on the soundtrack of House on the Haunted Hill, I thought "WOW! This is so much better than the original by The Eurythmics."

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and Billy Idol’s take on 'Don’t You (Forget About Me)'.. Superb!!! [Cool]
Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GoldTransAM
Master Rewinder
Member # 2973

13 Updates!

- posted      Profile for GoldTransAM         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like No Doubt's version of "It's My Life" better than the original by Talk, Talk.
Posts: 191 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jul 2004 | Site Updates: 13  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She's as dumb as a sack of hammers, but I loved Jessica Simpson's version of Berlin's "Take My Breath Away".

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kat27
Master Rewinder
Member # 3979

1 Update

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kat27     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry all but none. I am a staunch original fan. Although I do like Marilyn Manson's version of 'Sweet Dreams' and No Doubt's version of 'It's my Life'.
Posts: 327 | From: Australia | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kat27:
Sorry all but none. I am a staunch original fan. Although I do like Marilyn Manson's version of 'Sweet Dreams' and No Doubt's version of 'It's my Life'.

So then you negate yourself, huh? [Big Grin] [Wink] [Razz]

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brandon777
Master Rewinder
Member # 4014

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Brandon777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GoldTransAM:
I like No Doubt's version of "It's My Life" better than the original by Talk, Talk.

That is a cool remake.
Posts: 239 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brode
Master Rewinder
Member # 3732

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Brode   Author's Homepage   Email Brode   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure if it really counts, but Fates Warning does an AMAZING cover of Iron Maiden's Murders In The Rue Morgue, and Skyclad does a fun cover of Come On Eileen.

Oh, and Sonata Arctica doing Helloween's I Want Out.

Posts: 267 | From: Manitoba | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gary Jules version of TFF"s Mad World wasn't bad, just the way he did it in Donnie Darko was a bit different from the original which made me reappreciate the song.

Anyone heard Kelly Osbourne's new song One Word? It's pretty good for her although it sounds a lot like Visage's Fade to Grey with some alterations.

Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home