iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Write Your Own

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Write Your Own
kat27
Master Rewinder
Member # 3979

1 Update

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kat27     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it just me or are other people getting sick of the blatant rip-off of great songs? I know I've said it before but I have watched the top ten only to think that I've succumbed to a time warp and am actually back in a very badly warped version of the eighties. I am a huge eighties music fan (all genres) and hate that so many brilliant songs are being ruined (and watered down) by talentless chicky-babes. I hate that britney spears wears a Ramones T-shirt - that is so not (obviously) what they were about. Write your own songs people! Stop stealing from the creative greats who actually had the intelligence and talent to write their own music. If I turn on my radio one more time and hear a great song with a techno beat and a talentless 'idol'-style singer I am going to scream! Am I alone or do you agree with my rant?
Posts: 327 | From: Australia | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brode
Master Rewinder
Member # 3732

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Brode   Author's Homepage   Email Brode   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You do realize that Michael Jackson didn't write his own songs, right?
Posts: 267 | From: Manitoba | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kat27
Master Rewinder
Member # 3979

1 Update

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kat27     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought that was just common sense! I know that there were heaps of 80's artists who didn't write their own songs but at least they were original - even if they had to pay for them! Also there was a greater percentage of bands/artists actually writing their own music.
There are so many threads that we could create about Michael Jackson that it is an issue probably best left alone.

Posts: 327 | From: Australia | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I totally agree with you Kat27. I can't stand Britney Spears original stuff let alone when she sings someone else's song. She is total trash, every time I see something about her on the cover of a magazine...like her smoking and her "behavior"- that she does deliberately in front of a camera, she had been a teen idol, and young girls were looking at her as a role model-which I never thought she ever was, but still.. I feel when you know that people are watching what you do, and you do a bunch of bad behavior on purpose and don't care, that should tell you what kind of person she is.

Good song writing...there just isn't any. I have said before, that when I bought a CD in the 80's, I was guaranteed more than one great song on them. Most of my 80's CDs, I love the majority of their songs...there might be 1 or 2 that weren't ones I'd listen to over and over...but when I think of some of the CDs I have like:

Toto
Hall & Oats
Bryan Adams
Def Leppard
38 Special
Loverboy
Journey
REO Speedwagon
Rick Springfield

to name just a few...I can listen to the entire CD.

I never even hear 1 single song that is good out there now, that I would go out and buy a CD of.

I have tried to think over and over who was the last artist that I actually liked more than 1 song they sang....and I would have to go to the 90's, and I think it was maybe Creed and Vertical Horizon who might have done 2 songs each I actually liked.

I like Santana's music, but not well enough to actually buy their CD.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OConner880
Master Rewinder
Member # 415

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for OConner880   Email OConner880   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats how you know that rap music is ridiculous, how much talent does it take to talk fast and loud and aggressively about killing cops, getting rich and having sex with thousands of women...funny I don't see any of those retards doing anything but getting arrested...Its true though, the most popular hip-hop songs that comes out all the time are always rip-offs...I think these ghetto jerkoffs wait for the lawyers of some of these 80s' artists to die.
Posts: 186 | From: Saint James, NY, USA | Registered: May 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna Sullivan
Master Rewinder
Member # 4010

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Anna Sullivan   Email Anna Sullivan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, and I'm pretty sure we all heard that Jay-Z or Jay-West (honestly, who cares) rap song with "Africa" by Toto in the chorus. My younger friends were like:

"Oh wow, that's such a catchy chorus". I then explained WHY.

I mean, Kelly Osbourne and "Pappa Don't Preach"...really!!! The darn Duff sisters with "Our Lips Are Sealed", Girls Aloud with "Jump", Slinky Minxx (THE most stupid name) with "Summer Rain". Gosh knows what sacred original is next in line for a mandatory slaughtering. Anyone hear of any about to be released?....

Posts: 232 | From: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna Sullivan
Master Rewinder
Member # 4010

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Anna Sullivan   Email Anna Sullivan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also just heard the WORST techno version using the chorus from "Bette Davis Eyes" as the repeated lick. It was murderous and put me in a bad mood on the train to work. Come on, that's a classic that just shouldn't be tampered with. It would be like putting coke with a fifty year old single malt scotch. Honestly!
Posts: 232 | From: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The worst has to be Britney Spears ruining the classic "I Love Rock 'N Roll"....well until I heard that version!
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home