iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » One definitive song

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: One definitive song
kat27
Master Rewinder
Member # 3979

1 Update

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kat27     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK here is a hard one. All of us could make several CDs of our favourite songs but what would you rate as the definitive song of the eighties? Points for social, popular, political, socio-commentary etc. If 'Children of the Revolution' summed up the 60's what song sums up the naughties? Can we actually define a whole generation with one song? I think that is why we are all here - perhaps it isn't possible?
Posts: 327 | From: Australia | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

One song? Yikes. I wouldn't pick "We are the World" mostly because I don't like that song. Good question.

WE are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Children Of The Revolution' was a 70's glam rock song (released late '72). I would say 'The Times They Are 'a' Changin'' or 'For What It's Worth' represent the 60's better. But it all comes down to opinion.

It's virtually impossible to pick a song that sums up a decade, because the decade would've changed from start to finish. So you could pick, say, 'Don't You Want Me', as a representation. But it doesn't represent the late 80's. You could try 'Thriller', but the same is true of that. Just as 'Bad' can't represent the early 80's.

So, you can pick a song that sums up the essence of the early 80's, another that sums up the mid 80's, and another that sums up the late 80's. But no single song can represent or sum up the entire of the 80's. Because, depending on when you are within the 80's, the song would either be; old, new, or unreleased.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brode
Master Rewinder
Member # 3732

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Brode   Author's Homepage   Email Brode   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On pure return-nostalgia factor, Don't You Forget About Me.
Posts: 267 | From: Manitoba | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prettyinpink
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 3998

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for prettyinpink   Email prettyinpink   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you see I would have picked "Alive & Kicking".
Posts: 29 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And there's the problem. Niether one of them in any way represents anything before or after the mid 80's.

If the question was "what songs make you nostalgic for the 80's" then the field would be wide open for personal interpretations. If the question was "what songs make you automatically think of the 80's" then 'Don't You Forget About Me' would clearly be right.

But I still don't think a single song can represent a whole decade, especially not to someone that actually lived through it (by that I mean being at the very least in your mid-teens when the decade ended).

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raggedyman
Master Rewinder
Member # 4065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for raggedyman   Email raggedyman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
for me personally - the ultimate 80's song - "EVERBODY WANTS TO RULE THE WORLD" by Tears for Fears [Cool]
Posts: 241 | From: London, England | Registered: Apr 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
Hmm. That song had a longer life over here in the UK due to it's being reissued for charity 18 months after it was initially a hit.

But it still doesn't represent the early 80's...

CrashesParties n TheValley
Rewind Mobster
Member # 2903

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for CrashesParties n TheValley   Email CrashesParties n TheValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My One Definitive Song would be.... "Every Breath You Take" by The Police
Posts: 2221 | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say "Jump." It has a totally 80s aura to it--the excessiveness of the sound, included (and I mean that in a good way).
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raggedyman
Master Rewinder
Member # 4065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for raggedyman   Email raggedyman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CT......The Son Of Scarface:
My One Definitive Song would be.... "Every Breath You Take" by The Police

hey there CT! oh man! "Every Breath You Take"! is probably my favourite love song EVER! and even though it's about a stalker (well, that's how I interpret it) it IS a love song.
Posts: 241 | From: London, England | Registered: Apr 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna Sullivan
Master Rewinder
Member # 4010

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Anna Sullivan   Email Anna Sullivan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd agree with don't you forget about me but I'd have to add in there, Send Me an Angel. I just love that song. Always have, always will. Total 80's vibe. I don't think any one song would do it for me but those are two that take me to my happy place.
Posts: 232 | From: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LONNIE
Senior Rewinder
Member # 3934

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for LONNIE   Email LONNIE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my favorite song and I just heard it the other day is Working Man by Rush it is impossible to make your radio too loud especially when driving through the hood they have more bass than 50cent can dream of besides it is not about violence and Red Barchetta rocks too ( about a red Ferrari) at least that was the back ground during the concert I went to.
Posts: 91 | From: ohio | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home