iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » First 80's video you saw!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: First 80's video you saw!
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Took me a while to remember what was the first 80's video I saw. Lived in Canada, so I did not have access to MTV ever, and the Canadian equivalent was Much Music which I didn't get until the mid to late 80's. So you can scratch out me seeing the Buggles Video killed the radio star when it made it's appearance on the debut of MTV. It was actually Olivia Newton John's Physical that I saw first (could of sworn the video was a lot better back then). Ha!
Posts: 4419 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't remember the very first one I saw. I can't even recall if it was on MTV or some other music video channel. Being that I was just a little kid of around 5 yrs old or so when MTV started I wasn't quite at the age yet where I watched them very much. But I do know among some of the earliest videos that first grabbed my attention enough to begin watching more often were videos like MJ's Billy Jean & Beat It, Madonna's Material Girl, Prince's When Doves Cry..and other pop video's like those that got played in heavy rotation.

[ 27. January 2018, 13:06: Message edited by: Pyro ]

Posts: 1772 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had one of those huge satellite dishes in the 1980s and got MuchMusic. My favorite VJ was Erica Ehm. Her cute, cheerful presence was always something to look forward to if the day didn't go well.

[ 28. January 2018, 15:15: Message edited by: Crash ]

Posts: 2105 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't remember my very first but can remember these few very well from my childhood and which must have been amongst the very first and I would have been about 7/8 years old when they were all released in 81

https://youtu.be/4B2a6l6wM2k - Stand And Deliver by Adam Ant

https://youtu.be/fqkI2VBiLgg - Mirror Mirror by
Dollar

https://youtu.be/37w42Bfsv3E - Vienna by Ultravox

https://youtu.be/rKqLAVyRaXw - I'll Find My Way Home by Jon and Vangellis

And I bet my bottom dollar that it was on the popular UK pop show Top Of The Pops that I first ever viewed them!

Posts: 3464 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was super young but the first video I can remember was MJ's Thriller! All time classic.
Posts: 667 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm... possibly 'Prince Charming' by Adam and the Ants. Hard to recall a time before music videos.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles De Mar
Rewinder
Member # 37574

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Charles De Mar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is an ALMOST saw. I remember the premier of Michael Jackson's Thriller video when over in a friends house, but I and some others had to leave the room as it was said before it was shown that it would be "too scary for younger children", (such a rip off).

The actual first one was, I think it might have been a Bruce Springsteen video. Yeah it was, the one with Courtney Cox in it. It's the first I remember.
I remember seeing her in Misfits Of Science years later who had the late great Kevin Peter Hall, who was Harry from Harry And The Hendersons and The Predator.

Posts: 45 | From: On top of the K2 | Registered: Sep 2018 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home