iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » David Bowie in the 80's: Thumbs up or down?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: David Bowie in the 80's: Thumbs up or down?
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the actual 80's I really liked David Bowie with the Scary monsters album, and Let's dance, and even Blue Jean from 84. He had quite a few film roles too like the Hunger, Labyrinth, Merry xmas Mr.Lawrence. I was talking to someone the other day about the fact I had no idea how many and how many great albums he had in the 70's. I had a friend in high school who had his greatest hits, but with Bowie it didn't do him justice. I heard Changes and Space oddity from time to time but had no idea how good he was in the 70's. In fact because of this my opinion of him in the 80's has changed a lot. Aside from Scary monsters, I think creatively he really went downhill. Agree? Or do you think he was just as good in the video age?
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really liked Bowie in the 80s riptide but i must admit that I've never really delved much into any of his earlier stuff apart from like you mention his hits such as space oddity and changes.

I should do really,I love all his 80s tracks - modern love,absolute beginners,blue jeans etc and also his movie performances as I thought he was superb in merry Christmas Mr Lawrence and even though I've not seen it for many years I remember liking the Tony Scott film the hunger a lot as well and sure I remember him being pretty great in that also.

Not listened to much of his latest tracks,I think the last album of his that I paid much attention to was black tie white noise which came out sometime back I think in the early 90s which I had slightly mixed feelings about but it wasn't to bad overall.

Definitely do think Bowie was great though during the 80s and he gets a thumbs up from me.

[ 19. July 2015, 11:16: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don´t remember the quality of the actual albums but i recently watched Bowie´s video collection with my bro
and i liked the 80s stuff very much. David is the type who´s constantly changing and that may alienate some fans.

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always liked China Girl and Lets Dance. Never did seekout his albums just mainly saw his stuff on Mtv. I work with an Australian fella and his favorite music is David Bowie. Maybe he deserves a wider listening to.

How about that video with Mic jagger. WO!

Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chloe
Master Rewinder
Member # 37365

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Chloe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like David Bowie! Also, loved him in Labyrinth.
Posts: 232 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Apr 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home