iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Mystery Achievement

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mystery Achievement
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

How did I not know about this song from the Pretenders? Man, this is amazing.

WE are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrashesParties n TheValley
Rewind Mobster
Member # 2903

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for CrashesParties n TheValley   Email CrashesParties n TheValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too wasnt aware of the song and im a Pretenders fan,I checked it out youtube and must say it wasnt a bad song i like it [Cool]
Posts: 2221 | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great song from a great band.

I had a similar situation with The Police. I was a freshman in college in '88 and I was a huge Police fan. My roomate had Every Breath You Take-The Singles and while listening to it one morning I heard the song Walking on the Moon for the first time. I had never heard it up to this point and I was blown away by how good it was, and by how it could be that I had never heard it before since I considered myself a big fan. I listened to it(that cd and song) alot after that, usually while I was watching The New Gidget and Jem and the Holograms before class.

Posts: 675 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good song. Been listening to the Pretenders a lot recently. Chrissie's voice grates a little sometimes, but still a great band.

'Walking on the Moon' was a # 1 hit for the Police in the UK. They were a # 1 scoring act from about '79 until they split. In the 80's songs like 'Message in a Bottle' and 'Don't Stand so Close to Me' were radio staples.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pretenders were a good quality band, not a lot of filler. They have some good b-sides and non LP tracks too like Cuban Slide. Thye original lineup with James Honey moon Scott(RIP) and Pete Farndon (RIP) were a great group.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Their deaths were the inspiration to "Back on the Chain Gang". Always a quality song.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
was chrisse hynde considered for the traveling wilburys at one point? i thought i heard that before
Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HUGE Pretenders fan here, since 1980!

I have not heard the story about Chrissie being one of the Traveling Wilbury's, although that would've been a pretty neat idea! Considering her fondness toward 60's music, that would have been an interesting premise.

I do know that after Roy Orbison died, Del Shannon had been considered to join the group. But sadly, Del committed suicide in 1990.

Here's a YouTube video of the Wilbury's covering Del Shannon's best-known song, "Runaway":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEPx9bkpkh8

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home