iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Ultravox

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ultravox
ViennaRage
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 13710

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for ViennaRage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my all time favorite bands (not just from that era). Especially Midge Ure era (though John Foxx is equally awesome). Any Ultravox fans here? If so...thoughts? Favorite album(s)? Favorite song(s)? Has anyone seen them live (at any point in their career)?
Posts: 20 | From: Beaverton, Oregon | Registered: Oct 2012 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like Ultravox.
My brother bought their comeback album "Brilliant" (2012) and it sounds awesome!
It is the first new album in 28 years by the classic Ultravox line-up of
Midge Ure, Billy Currie, Warren Cann and Chris Cross.

Just listen the first track "Live" and you know what i mean

Ultravox - Live

-

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A very good friend of mine (who I saw last night and who works with me int he band) was the sound engineer on the following Ultravox records:

Quiet Men (7", 1978)
Systems of Romance (album, 1978)
Three Into One (album, 1980)
Slow Motion (7" and EP, 1981)

There's one-upmanship for you... [Smile]

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ViennaRage
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 13710

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for ViennaRage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aTomiK:
I like Ultravox.
My brother bought their comeback album "Brilliant" (2012) and it sounds awesome!
It is the first new album in 28 years by the classic Ultravox line-up of
Midge Ure, Billy Currie, Warren Cann and Chris Cross.

Just listen the first track "Live" and you know what i mean

Ultravox - Live

-

I agree! "Brilliant" is a phenomenal return for them and what's incredible is that it is instantly recognizable as Ultravox, but it doesn't pander to nostalgia. "Live" and "Lie" are my two favorite songs from the album, but it's excellent from start to finish.
Posts: 20 | From: Beaverton, Oregon | Registered: Oct 2012 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ViennaRage
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 13710

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by P_a_u_l:
A very good friend of mine (who I saw last night and who works with me int he band) was the sound engineer on the following Ultravox records:

Quiet Men (7", 1978)
Systems of Romance (album, 1978)
Three Into One (album, 1980)
Slow Motion (7" and EP, 1981)

There's one-upmanship for you... [Smile]

That is incredible! Systems of Romance is one of the most innovative, unique albums of all time and helped define a very particular sound that would become prevalent in some of Depeche Mode's music and most especially Gary Numan's music as well as a host of other bands. All of the John Foxx stuff is great though. That's really cool, man. [Smile]
Duckie Dale Winton
Master Rewinder
Member # 3419

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Duckie Dale Winton   Author's Homepage   Email Duckie Dale Winton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love Ultravox - absolutely phenomenal band! [Smile]

I never saw them live the first time around, but saw them on the 'Return to Eden' comeback tour and they were incredible..... I was blown away. Also saw Midge doing a solo set at the Rewind Festival in August and he was still on top form.

Got all their albums on vinyl (along with the 7" of John Foxx 'Underpass') and still play them to this day.

Favourite track is probably 'One Small Day' [Smile]

Posts: 242 | From: Northampton, England | Registered: Oct 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home