iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Kim Wilde

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kim Wilde
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kim Wilde burst on the music scene in the early 80's and she is probably best known at least in the US for the new wave hit "Kids in America" and The Supremes remake "Keep Me Hangin' On". I enjoy listening to both tunes occasionally, however, I truly believe that Kim Wilde's best tunes are found by digger much deeper.

In fact, I had pretty much forgotten about Kim Wilde's other awesome tunes, until Cindy and Ronnie reminded me recently.

So let's start the Kim Wilde appreciation with it this tune that you unfortunately only hear a brief glimpse of in the movie "Weird Science":

- (click to play)

"So turn it on, turn it on.. baby turn it on"

In 1981 .. this next tune followed up "Kids In America" on the Euro charts, but it never made a splash in the US for some reason. I personally think it is a brilliant tune:

- (click to play)

"Touch me, do what you want to .. say no, then, I just need you.. babe, your gonna drive me insane"

Such a fantastic tune backed up with a stylish 80's video. [Smile]

One more for now.. this tune is from 1984 and once again had very little impact on the US charts.. and I became more of a fan of it watching a 1984 German tv show appearance recently. Here's the official music video:

- (click to play)

Now I need help though for a few more of my favs .. hopefully Ronnie will post a couple of those incredible Kim Wilde tunes that I can't seem to find a link to the clip on. I actually have no clue what the song was on the one clip, but the stage Kim Wilde performed on reminded me of a bit of Josie Cotton in "Valley Girl" with all the magnificent colors!

Thinking back .. it seems like it might have been another version of "Chequered Love" cause that tune is definitely amazing. [Cool]

[ 05. February 2012, 10:52: Message edited by: Valley ]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great Thread Valley! [Cool]

I remember my sister's having the Teases & Dares album and playing it loudly in their rooms when I was younger. So that's actually one of those records that always brings me back. "Turn it On" and "The Touch" were the two tracks that always stood out for me on that album. The whole record is good though. The other songs you've listed are great too. Thanks for the Awesome Jams!

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey there Valleycat - View From A Bridge [Wink]

Sway those hips, Kim!

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chequered Love is a good song, indeed.

Here's a good one...

Say You Really Want Me

"Say you really want me. Don't keep it to yourself.
Say you really need me. Just me and no one else.
Say you really love me. Ooh let me know it's true.
Say you really want me. The way that I want you, tonight."

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome stuff Ronnie!

Oh .. I finally found the version of "Chequered Love" that caused my renewed admiration in Kim Wilde tunes:

Kim Wilde "Chequered Love"

That stage performance is even better than the music video I posted above. Love the pink 'Kim Wilde' sign behind her!

Watching & listening to it for the third time in row .. turning over couches in the dance cave at the moment. [Cool]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome thread Valley!Always loved her early albums. I know you keep me hanging on was her huge hit, but love the first few albums. Remember stumbling on them on cd and they were hard to find at the time. The first album is classic from the cover, to the tunes. She has a lot of underrated tunes. Also like

Cambodia
Love Blonde
Chaos at the airport
You came (a late period gem)

Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Thanks for the excellent contribution to the thread Riptide! Miss all your input on stuff.. try to visit more often if you can.

Here's one of the cool tunes Riptide mentioned:

- (click to play)

Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Miss the site Valley. Should be around more this year. A lot of upheaval kept me away, but getting back to normal. Love the pic sleeve, I think the song is about imminent child birth.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yesterday i purchased Kim Wilde's self-titled debut album (1981) as well as her third album,
Catch As Catch Can (1983), on vinyl.. original pressing.. near mint condition.. for 2 euro's each !

Pretty awesome, right ?! [Cool] [Smile]

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome indeed! Great artist, i especially like Select and Teases & Dares albums.
It seems that everyone collects vinyls these days so it´s rare if you can find them at a good price.

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
Vinyl is at a premium these days. Remember the days when I would go to record stores and garage sales in the late 90's and come home with tons of 80's vinyl for the price of 4 starbucks coffees!
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
I just finally got the teases and dares album a few weeks ago.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home