iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Midnight Star

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Midnight Star
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

The synth-funk unit Midnight Star scored several times on the charts during the mid-'80s, led by their double-platinum album No Parking On The Dance Floor in 1983. Just one of the successful acts on Solar Records (also including Shalamar, Lakeside, and the Whispers), the group was formed in 1976 at Kentucky State University by the Calloway brothers, trumpeter Reginald, and trombone player Vincent, with vocalist Belinda Lipscomb.

----------

In high school, I started every weekday morning by getting up and playing an album as I got ready for class.  It was so much fun to start my day off blasting tunes and often just listening to the albums to a point that the less popular tunes became favs.

Well, Midnight Star's No Parking On The Dance Floor was one of those albums that got stuck on my turntable for quite awhile back then.  I pretty much enjoyed every tune on the album and usually started a quick game of nerf basketball as the tunes played.

-

Playlist:

1.  "Electricity" 

2.   "Night Rider" 

3.   "Feels So Good" 

4.   "Wet My Whistle" 

5.   "No Parking On The Dance Floor" 

6.  "Freak-A-Zoid" 

7.   "Slow Jam"

8.   "Playmates" 

There are other Midnight Star tunes that I enjoy as well, but it is this album that brings back such great memories!

ok.. one more Midnight Star tune that most folks might know:

"Operator" 

Enjoy!

Wait a second.. I got to add this Midnight Star tune from one of my fav 80's flicks .. "Just One of the Guys". Some people might be surprised that they did this tune:

Girls Got Something Boys Ain't Got [Wink]

[ 19. July 2011, 19:39: Message edited by: Valley ]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow, more people should listen to Midnight Star ha!

Val, I love their music...reminds of me my dad in the 80s. He always covered their songs.

This song happens to be my favorite song by them:

http://youtu.be/JeOIvkW4HjE

[Smile]

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome tune Ronnie!

I agree .. we need to get a few folks to give them a listen.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While songs like "Freakazoid" and "Operator" are undeniably good catchy dance jams. Regardless, I was never able to fully get into this group cause they were seriously overplayed by my friends and my sisters growing up. Kind of like the way radio overplays pop songs today, that's how it was for me with group when I was kid. I might jam out a tune by them every once in awhile. But it doesn't take me long to grow tired of them and move on to something else.
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Freakazoid.. sooo overplayed, but mainly because my older cousins, constantly played it while they were practicing their breaking skills ha.

Midas Touch was on a mix tape my dad had made when I was little. I remember traveling in the car with my folks to Disneyland and I played that tape over and over on my boom box with headphones on the way there! Love his voice in the song.

Oh and I also have Midnight Star radio on my Pandora account. If you don't have that one Val, go set it up, it's a great mix. [Smile]

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home