iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Artist by a different tune..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Artist by a different tune..
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This thread is dedicated to identifying a music artist or group that hit fairly big with a tune that became a signature tune for them.. but either through overplay or personal preference.. you just don't care for it. However, this same artist or group has a lesser known tune that you quite enjoy.

I'll start:

-

Every time I hear Dead or Alive's "You Spin Me Around (Like A Record)" I spin the radio dial instead. I can still tolerate it, but not a tune that will make my ipod playlist anytime soon.

- Dead or Alive - Brand New Lover (click to play)

On the flipside, I quite enjoy the Dead or Alive tune "Brand New Lover" and will turn the radio up whenever XM FirstWave puts it on. My thought is "Brand New Lover" is more of a dance tune..

What are your 'Artist by a different tune' suggestions?

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

I believe I made a similar thread years ago about originally liking one song but now loving another.

I'll find it.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does the other song have to be a single?

Right off the bat I think of....

Soft Cell-Tainted Love.....I don't love it anymore....it's overkilled!!!

Sex Dwarf...I love it!! makes me dance dance dance!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlB77vM2FMg

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Muffy.. my thoughts were singles, but I'm up for albums etc as well.

Btw, your example is excellent. Despite the overplay, I'm still a fan of "Tainted Love"... but great selection with "Sex Dwarf".. Disco Dollies!!

Devo.. post the link from your thread.. I'm sure there were some outstanding recommendations on it.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard Cyndi Lauper's 'Girls Just Want To Have Fun' enough. Instead, I usually put on 'Change Of Heart'. I know it was a big hit for her, so it's not much of a stretch, but it's not nearly played as much as 'Girls' and I doubt the common listener could even name it off the top of their head. They would likely come up with 'Girls', 'True Colors', 'She Bop', or 'Time After Time'.
Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool thread, Valley!

I pick....

Culture Club - Sick of "Do You Really Want to Hurt Me," but love "Time."

Another one is Bow Wow Wow with "I Want Candy," I'd much rather listen to their song "Do You Wanna Hold Me" instead.

SA, I agree with you about Cyndi...I tend to skip over "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun," and listen to "Change of Heart," or "I Drove All Night" instead.

Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
High-five, Veronica! I prefer 'Do You Wanna Hold Me' too. It's a great song! [Smile]

I was going to mention Oingo Boingo's 'Weird Science', but after the reaction I got to the movie recently, I think I'm going to keep my mouth shut [Big Grin] Valley, are you coming over for movie night this week?

Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
SA.. I would, but I just heard that it's a "Dead Man's Party"!

Which is actually my fav Oingo Boingo tune over "Weird Science". [Cool]

Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could make a whole Top 10 list on this subject if I sat here and thought about it long enough. But I won't just yet. I'll pick just one for now.

My Pick:

Devo - Whip It

..Don't get me wrong, I still dig the song alright. But it's just been way overplayed to me and the song itself doesn't hold the same feeling it once did back in the day for me after being played so much.

If you wanna talk about a song, (and video), that more effectively captures what Devo was about..then it's always gonna have to be Jocko Homo in my opinion..The song is just great, and the video is so crazy cool for it's time.

Devo - Jocko Homo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCpxSzacbyc

I know this song was released prior to the 80's...but it's one of those songs I think is timeless, and you can't really fit it into any kind of particular era.

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i love 'girls just wanna have fun.' very signature tune for the 80s. but i prefer 'all through the night'..very near and dear to me.

i love falco..and 'rock me amadeus' was a good song, but i am so sick of it. i like 'vienna calling' much more, very catchy dance number. [Wink]

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cyndi Lauper's "She's So Unusual" remains one of my favs...I'm right there with SA and Ronnie....When You Were Mine, All Through The Night, and Money Changes Everything are my favs from the album...course I still love them all!

With U2's "The Joshua Tree", the lesser known "Running To Stand Still" is my fav.

With Tom Petty's "Full Moon Fever", I'll take Yer So Bad and Feel A Whole Lot Better, over Free Fallin and I Won't Back Down....again, love them all, but heard the latter way too much.

Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
I love 'Safety Dance', but I've heard it a million times. So if I'm listening to Men Without Hats, I'm probably listening to 'Jenny Wore Black'.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home