iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Pet Shop Boys

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pet Shop Boys
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Pet Shop Boys "West End Girls"

Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe met in a London electronics shop in 1981. They both had a keen interest in dance club style music and quickly decided to collaborate. It was during these early years that several songs that would later appear on future albums were created .. "It's a Sin", "West End Girls", "Rent" and "Jealousy".

The original name of the duo was 'West End', because of their love of London's West End. They eventually changed their group's name to 'Pet Shop Boys' which was actually derived from the fact that one of their good friends who worked in a local pet shop.

-

Their big break came when Tennant was in New York City in 1983 where he met Bobby Orlando, a well-known music producer whom Tennant and Lowe both admired. Orlando liked what he heard of the Pet Shop Boys and soon both Tennant and Lowe were in New York recording a version of "West End Girls" for Orlando. The single would initially achieve only minor success in Europe... but would later reach #1 in the US. This success catapulted The Pet Shop Boys to fame and paved the way for other tunes like "Opportunities (Let's Make Lots of Money)", "What Have I Done to Deserve This?", "It's a Sin", and "Always on My Mind" to name a few..

Pet Shop Boys "It's A Sin"

[ 11. November 2010, 15:15: Message edited by: Valley ]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always kind of knew their hits........but recently have gotten into more or their music i'm looking into more. Bought Introspective used and I like it.
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earth Angel
Angel of the Rewind
Member # 3301

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earth Angel   Email Earth Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw them at Glastonbury...they were good. [Smile]
Posts: 981 | From: If they dont kiss, they dont fall in love | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember riding in the car with my Mom when I was a little kid and whenever "West End Girls" came on the radio she would turn it way up. I always liked the song too [Smile] In high school, I bought their greatest hits CD and one of their newer albums called "Nightlife" and have liked pretty much everything I've heard by them.

I love their song "Heart." It says in the booklet of the greatest hits cd that they originally wrote it for Madonna [Smile]

Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Veronica.. they wrote "Heart" for Madonna, but fearing disappointment they never presented it to her.
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Oh and I heard that the tune "Heart" was originally planned for the movie "Innerspace".
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neil Tennant used to edit the most popular music magazine in Britain - 'Smash Hits'. It was more than a little bizarre when he left to form a pop group, and within a few years was appearing inside the mag every week as a pop star! Only in the amazing 80's.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best duo ever. Still making brilliant music today. I hope they never stop.
Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Logan, didn't he bash depeche mode's early music?

[ 12. November 2010, 07:34: Message edited by: Veronica Sawyer ]

Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Logan, didn't he bash depeche mode's early music?
Probably. He was very dismissive towards most of the pop music at the time. Then he became the pop music of the time!

When he left the magazine, it lost an acerbic streak that had kept it both mainstream and credible. After that it was just 'Tiger Beat' for the UK.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by logan5:
Neil Tennant used to edit the most popular music magazine in Britain - 'Smash Hits'. It was more than a little bizarre when he left to form a pop group, and within a few years was appearing inside the mag every week as a pop star! Only in the amazing 80's.

IIRC, Neil went to New York to interview The Police (who were on tour then), even though Neil never particularly liked the group. Neil then decided that after the interview, he would also meet up with a New York dance-music producer named Bobby Orlando (stage name: "Bobby O"). It was then he decided to work with Bobby and Chris Lowe to record some tracks at a later time. And the rest is history!

Tennant is one of the few performers to have been a former music journalist. Chrissie Hynde (The Pretenders) is another one that comes to mind.

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by logan5:
Probably. He was very dismissive towards most of the pop music at the time. Then he became the pop music of the time!...[snip]

Tennant did not like U2 either. Yet, The Pet Shop Boys did a cover version of the group's "Where the Streets Have No Name" by incorporating into a medley with Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons 1964 pop song, "Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You"! As I recall, Neil did that to
"humiliate" U2 and the overblown status of the song.

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jakey V
Master Rewinder
Member # 37348

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jakey V   Email Jakey V   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The new Pet Shop Boys album is great! "Monkey Business" is one of the singles I love, but the entire album is top notch. Check it out.
Posts: 204 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: A Long Time Ago! | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had no idea they released new music. I will check it out. Thanks Jamey V
Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Thanks Pitts... I took care of it.

We are Devo

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Just watched the Pet Shop Boys movie It Couldn´t Happen Here (1987), i have this excellent BFI blu-ray release.

It´s very artsy like these band movies tend to be but not bad at all. We get to hear lots of PSB tunes and i love their 80s albums so that was great.

The extras include director Jack Bond and dance choreographer Arlene Phillips interviews. Phillips led the infamous Hot Gossip dance Troupe back in the 70s [Smile]

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home