iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Albums that you listen to non-skip.....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Albums that you listen to non-skip.....
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had a thread about this some time ago, but been reminded about it today....

Which albums can you listen to without feeling the need to skip tracks? I'm not including compilation or 'best of' albums, just regular ones. Most albums have a few stand-out tracks, and a bunck of space-fillers which rarely get a listen.

I was reminded of this on the drive in to work today. Listening to the soundtrack album to Some Kind Of Wonderful (yeah I know - it's kind of a compilation....) I never once felt the need to skip forward over a track, enjoying each one.

Michael Jackson's Bad is one I can listen to all the way through, as is Dare by The Human League.

What other albums can you think of that fit the bill?

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I´m an old school album listener.
I very rarely do any skipping.

Of course i have my favorite tunes but i like to listen the whole package.

I don´t own iPod´s or MP3 players and i hardly ever buy any best of collections
so i´m not even used to listen just the best songs.

But there is a "game" that we play with the guys after few beers.
We pick a cd blindly from the shelf
and must play only one track from that certain album.

But i own hundreds of cd´s and i agree that there must be lots of bad tunes among the cd´s
so maybe i should make some best of collections for myself [Cool]

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I very rarely do any skipping either.
Posts: 4057 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's an album?
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh Youse Guys......
Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a few that pop into my mind:

One album I play front to back over and over is Youthquake by DEAD OR ALIVE . It saddens me that most people consider them a One Hit Wonder. That albums great.

So is Business As Usual by MEN AT WORK. Love evry song on there

Beauty And The Beat by THE GOGOS. Actually most GO GOS and BLONDIE albums.

Any album by DURAN DURAN , THOMPSON TWINS or DEPECHE MODE. VAN HALEN had a pretty good Success Rate with making every song a winner too. (At least in the David Lee Roth years).

GUNS N ROSES - Appetite For Destructiction

JOAN JETT- Glorius Misadventures Of A mispent Youth

PINK FLOYD: THE WALL

The compilation ones I like the best are the VALLEY GIRL soundtracks

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bamersy
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8808

14 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bamersy   Email Bamersy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scorpions Blackout
Def Leppard Pyromania
Van Halen (debut 1978)
All Journey albums and soundtracks of course.
I'm sure there's more [Smile]

Posts: 452 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2010 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
The Dread Pirate Rewind....
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
def lep - Hysteria
The cure - Wish
pet shop Boys - Discoblahsomething
U2 - Achtung Baby
Top gun soundtrack
Rocky soundtrack
Any roxette
Inxs - Kick

Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paul asked:
quote:
Which albums can you listen to without feeling the need to skip tracks? I'm not including compilation or 'best of' albums, just regular ones...
For me, amongst 80's albums:

Peter Gabriel's "So" (1986)
The Pretenders' self-titled debut LP (1980)
The Pretenders' "Learning To Crawl" (1984)
Pet Shop Boys' debut "Please" (1986) [I do not have the 2001 re-release with additional songs]

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Metallica - Ride the Lightning & Master of Puppets
David Bowie - Scary Monsters
Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking
Ozzy Osbourne - Diary of a Madman
Crowded House - Crowded House
UB40 - Labour of Love
Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse of Reason
Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime
Husker Du - New Day Rising
Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense
Tears For Fears - Songs from the Big Chair
Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine
Guns N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction
King Crimson - Discipline
Kraftwerk - Computer World
Scorpions - Blackout
My Bloody Valentine - Isn't Anything
Sonic Youth - Sister
The Lost Boys - Movie Soundtrack

...those are some of my favorites in my collection that I can always listen to from start to finish

[ 16. September 2010, 00:35: Message edited by: Pyromantic ]

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Cure - Disintegration (This sounds like a greatest hits album!)
U2 - The Joshua Tree
Indigo Girls - Indigo Girls
Cyndi Lauper - She's So Unusual

Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pyromantic:
Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime

One of the best complete albums of all-time in my opinion.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I couldn't agree more 80's Rocked=)
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Simoneer
Senior Rewinder
Member # 8941

2 Updates!

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Simoneer   Author's Homepage   Email Simoneer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, too, rarely skip tracks. Most of the bands I listen to only have a few, few songs in total that I dislike. They stay very consistent...and I know what I like.

Take Scar Symmetry. I think I only dislike one song on their album Pitch Black Progress; The Illusionist. Another album of theirs, Holographic Universe, only consists of songs that I love. Take Blind Guardian. Their latest album only has songs that I love.

This is true for many bands I listen to, although some of my favorites do have many "skippers". Like Opeth. I don't often listen through a whole Opeth album, and these guys are in my top 5 (the songs that I do like, I really, really, really like).

[ 26. October 2010, 16:10: Message edited by: Simoneer ]

Posts: 56 | From: Sweden | Registered: Jun 2010 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home